Tue, Oct 8, 1:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 08 8:34 am)

Subject: Lookin' for flowing, graceful, classical, robe-like clothes

pazu ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2003 at 11:15 PM · edited Tue, 08 October 2024 at 1:27 PM

Can anybody point silly old-fashioned me to some nice, graceful, flowing, classical, simple, robe-like garmets? I'm thinkin' wind-blown Maxfield Parrish type things, rather than heavy Roman togas. But a toga would be a good start.

Or am I condemned to learning the fabric room on only my third Poser project?

zai ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 3:29 AM

Hi pazu.... I'll keep an eye out....I'm planning on doing a few reproductions of art like Parrish (actually Waterhouse, etc.) and I've been looking too. I haven't tried doing the cloth in Poser yet as I'm assuming I'm going to have to paint it to get what I really want. I'm using the exercise to FORCE myself to learn the skills. If I find anything good I'll post back. I'm thinking "Flaming June" type flowy is what you mean...or Tadema style? zai

Rendo Store | Freebies | RDNA Store

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 6:28 AM

Parrish-type clothing is difficult in Poser. All those folds! You might start by searching on "heaven" or "angel" - the closest I've seen have been marketed as angel's dresses. Check out FK Design's "Heaven Closet" at 3DCommune, for example.

pazu ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 10:27 AM

Thanks zai and randym77! What I had in mind is somewhere between Parrish's "Ecstasy" and Tadema's "Flaming June." Something that doesn't look stiff or like a fibergalss shell, which is what most Poser clothing looks like to me. It seems the Cloth Room is my destiny. It claims to have the features I would need, and I suppose I can catch up on my reading during renders. It's frustrating! I'm just starting with Poser and my ideas are miles ahead of my technique. Zai, I look forward to seeing the images you come up with!

bnetta ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 10:36 AM

Attached Link: http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.att.ne.jp%2Fyellow%2FRUBI%2Fgazo%2F

rubios sheet might be helpful.. it sure has lots of flowing movement! netta

www.oodlesdoodles.com

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 11:27 AM

Attached Link: my favorite cloth room tutorial

The Cloth Room isn't that difficult, and doesn't take that long to render. Hair takes a lot longer. However, I'm not sure it will give you what you want. Parrish's "Ecstasy" isn't really a natural depiction of cloth. You can get some nice effects in the Cloth Room, but the flowing, romantic look you're after is probably best achieved with some postwork. There are many tutorials on painting clothing. Check them out. That's how the best Poser artists do it. Start with one of those "fiberglas" Poser dresses, then postwork the flowing folds over it.

pazu ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 10:46 PM

Thanks for the link netta. Thanks for tutorial randym77. That sheet will be handly for running the tutorial, which requires a dynamic cloth object. It's a good thing there are tutorials out there, the Poser manual is a little thin. Yes, Parrish's fabric somehow escapes the laws of physics, but then again, so do a lot of things in Poser! I'm going to flail around until I discover what things Poser fabric does with grace and elegance, and then compose some images that exploit those strengths.

zai ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2003 at 4:42 AM

file_83871.jpg

heya pazu... a thought when we get a chance...maybe we could send an agreed upon practice image back and forth to see how each of us is fairing and the techniques we are using... one trick I used recently which was SO simple I came across it by accident was when I had to put a dress on a figure that was unclothed. I was thinking...OMG..Ive never painted clothes before..how the h#$ll am I gonna do that. Weirdly enough, I started out painting the edges on another layer in photoshop assuming I would have to outline the area I wanted cloth in, then brush in complicated folds and shadows and the like..but I didn't have to! I just did the layer as an overlay on the nude figure...filled it and then set the opacity to very low and the body itself did all the work. What I thought was going to take me hours took me all of 20 minutes....! I'm going to try it on other figures, just havent had time yet. I don't think it will do all the great folds we would like to achieve, but it may give a very quick starting point fo r the rest....

zai ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2003 at 4:49 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_83872.jpg

original image attached...note, this is NOT my original painting...it is a beautiful image I was asked to do some postwork on by the artist Elizabeth Kyle from Australia. You can see it only too one or 2 tries at layers and bingo..instant clothes...

pdxjims ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2003 at 11:00 AM

file_83873.jpg

I've got a package for V3 and M3 coming out soon (very soon, I think), that has some nice draping on the skirts. I'm working on a complate heavy draping dress too (although for another character to start with). I did the draping morphs for these using a combination of modeling in Amapi, the P5 cloth room, and a couple of other modeling programs. These are P4 type morphs, and there are a number of variations that can be used in combination. I'd love to try the methods I've worked out on a Parish type piece of clothing. Do you have any links to some images I can look at? The ones I've got don't give much detail.

pazu ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2003 at 12:47 PM

Attached Link: http://parrish.artpassions.net/

I think you're on to something zai! Once again, you've shown that simple is good. You could also copy the figure parts to another layer and adjust things like blur, contrast, scale, etc. to get more or less pronounced effects. I suppose the figure could also be rendered by itself in the fabric colors with a folded fabric bump. Bring that into Photoshop as a layer, then rubber stamp from this special image layer to the final image layer. Even without the original figure, maybe an approximate stand-in could be used. Congratulate Elizabeth on the fine image. So pretty, it almost seems a shame to clothe it! pdxjims, lemme know when that package is available! Looks fantastic... Wonderful image, elegant and calm. The attached link is one of hundreds of Parrish image sources that come up on google. Nice draped figures include: Griselda Sleeping Beauty Reveries Girl by the Lake Daybreak etc. etc. etc.

zai ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 12:09 AM

file_83874.jpg

Hi All... I've got a "flaming June" pose half done which I will work on as soon as I can. I did try the layers thing I mentioned on another figure in photoshop starting with a nude throw away image I had saved somewhere. It's SORT of working...I did it based on the overlay and screen methods shown in a hair tutorial I had, wondering if that might work. I had to block out the main shape of the skirt though and then use the top half as a transparent section to pick up the body details. I had to block off the bottom because of course the grass was showing though. Also, when you do this you have to take off body details you don't want seen through the fabric like nipples and belly buttons, etc. I don't think I like where it's going but its a try.. I was already planning on doing Sleeping Beauty sometime...I have the poster up in the house..lol.. I was going to try the versa bench and throws on that for a start. Love the belt and necklace on the dress above btw... zai

pazu ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 9:34 AM

Looks good to me! I guess the biggest catch with painting is that you get locked in to a particular lighting scheme for your render. My painting skills are nowhere near as good as yours. While searching "wedding photo" on ebay I've noticed lots of super formal wedding pictures with the dresses carefully arranged in front almost exactly like your image. I'd be tempted to do some rubber stamping from an image like that.

zai ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 2:20 PM

HA! My painting skills good....NOW you've got to be kidding..lol Actually Ive been doing Photoshop since it came out years ago but always in a professional setting like ads, retouching, dropping out backgorunds, replacing skies, product photos, etc, mostly for the automotive industry. I am just NOW teaching my self to learn to "paint" so to speak, using some tutorials I found here. I was given a wacom tablet by a friend over the weeked so I'm going to give that a try as well. One idea I had was to do some clothes brushes, sort of like the "hair" brushes by different people, mostly the Heavenly Hair which I just got. Take a look at those to see what I mean. Of course I'd have to make a decent image first!

pazu ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 2:57 PM

Attached Link: http://www.curiouslabs.com/article/articleview/31/1/93/?nf=1

Speaking of hair...here's a URL to a tutorial on using hair to make flowing robes! I got one of those new Wacom tablets the other day. What I found out is that over the years I unconsciously developed a drawing style based on dragging my fingertips on the mouse surface to sort of smooth out the mouse motion. When I went to the pen, I lost the smoothing and am having a hard time drawing a straight line or smooth curve! It'll take some relearning.

zai ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 6:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.poserpros.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10856

Also interesting: http://www.poserpros.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16342 http://www.fignations.com/jelisa/tutorials/drapery1.html

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.