Sun, Sep 22, 5:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Evaluating Poser 5, Opinions Requested (humble and otherwise) LONG POST!

GrantH ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2003 at 4:20 PM ยท edited Fri, 16 August 2024 at 6:50 AM

Reposted from Poser Forum

Firstly, thanks in advance. Bare with me, I'm going to tell you a little about my job. Not for vanity's sake, I know it quite probably will be boring; but to set up the question I'm here to ask. This post is long so skip it if you're short on time or dislike long posts. It will eventually relate to Poser, I promise ;-) If you happen to have a job like mine (or one nothing like it for that matter) I'd love to hear about it as well as your answer to the question to follow.

I'm an art director for a small multimedia company. I have a staff of one (who is also the art director). Get the picture? We work on projects including:

-- interactive CD interfaces in Macromedia Director projects
-- backgrounds for large screen projection of live video feed conferences involving surgeons performing live surgery (video feed sits on graphic background something akin to talking head news graphics)
-- PowerPoint presentations
-- Video graphics
-- a limited amount of web work
-- some print material

I love 3D and I'm always trying to "fit it in" to what I do at work. I seek new tools to expand what I can offer my clients and employer. Sometimes there are no demo versions available; often the demo versions are not close enough to the "real thing" as to rely on for purposeful evaluation. As such, I take the risk and purchase programs now and again to see if I can incorporate them into my tool box. I use my own money in this effort because it's easier to justify occasionally spending down time learning new software on the job if it costs my employer no capital expenditure. I want to own programs myself because I'm working on starting a small freelance business. The initial motivation being to pay off credit card bills incurred from purchasing software, but I also hope to supplement my income. Needless to say my funds are finite and I need to optimize this effort so I'm seeking your opinions with regard to Poser, both in general and specifically to Mac OS X Panther.

I would like to be able to incorporate "People" in my work when needed, although currently that need is very limited if not zilch (sometimes though, availabiltity becomes need with good samples and a little prompting). Poser also seems to have some features in addition to the obvious figure rendering, such as soft body animation physics (cloth blowing in wind), atmospheric effects and such that imply it could be useful over all as an additional tool, especially when coupled with Carrara 3.

I work on a Mac G5 dual 2 gig, 2 gigs of ram, standard shipped video card, Panther OS X.

The following are general questions relating to Poser 5. I gratefully invite you to answer all, any, or none in a general manner or as they may specifically relate to the machine specs above or to you personally. Please feel free to offer any other info I haven't thought to request.

-- To those who can relate Poser to my job as previously described or to your own: Have you found Poser to be more than an "interesting toy" or pleasurable hobby? Have you found it to have real world applications in your work including and beyond images involving the human figure? If so, would you care to relate a brief case study of how?

-- Have you found Poser easy to learn?

-- In learning Poser have you relied on:
---- contextual learning drawn from inferences of the interface itself
---- documentation that arrived within the shipped packaging
---- 3rd party learning materials
How would you weigh each respectively regarding which was more useful and which you relied on most?

-- Was the included documentation physical or electronic? How would you rate its effectiveness and the ease of understanding it?

-- Do you find Poser to be stable? How often does it crash?

-- Does it "play well" with Carrara 3 in the manner implied by the mfg's marketing material?
-- What specific problems, if any, have you encountered using Poser with Carrara 3?

-- What problems, if any, have you encountered in general with Poser.

-- Given my previously stated goal and circumstances would you recommend Poser 5 and why. If not, why?

If you've made it this far, thanks for hangin' in there. In the interest of fair exchange and you're possible interest, here is a little of what I've discovered for myself about other programs I've tried. I'd be happy to tell you more of what I know if you'd like.

Carrara 3
(actual application plus latest free updates, not the demo):

The mfg description of their product is very accurate. It's very inexpensive for what you get. It's versatile, fairly stable, has advanced rendering, and a variety of modeling tool choices, and some fairly sophisticated animation functions for it's cost including bones and a built in physics generator. It also includes loads of other built in features plus available 3rd party add-ons which, so far, the list of both grows more impressive with each version. I think it compares in many ways (but to a lesser degree) to what you can do with Cinema 4 D and Maya and in some respects, depending on your need, is much better. Better because it's so much easier to learn, and costs so much less. In short, I love Carrara. It's a bargain.

Cinema 4 D and Maya
(latest demos each):

Included here together because on the surface they appear very similar in form and function and "surface" is as far as I've gotten. I'd love to learn one or both to a greater depth but I currently don't have the time to invest in learning a program that you have to rely on reading documentation so heavily to do so. <

Vue d'Esprit 4

Very interesting and fun to play with and has an enjoyable interface. Also very, very slow and unstable. It's fairly easy to learn. It's final renders are a little disappointing. Fine detail (like water ripples or ocean waves in distance) often appear as unacceptable noise rather than added realism. The sky renders are hit and miss sometimes they look great, sometimes too "contrasty" and cartoonish. All in all, it still seems like a work in progress. It will probably evolve into a great program in future versions.

Amorphium Pro
(actual previous version application plus latest free updates, and the latest demo for OS X):

For some reason I 'm really drawn to this little program although it has limited use for me currently. I would like to find ways to use it more often simply because I dig it. I can see the possibility for further use if I run into the need for quick organic modeling especially if abstraction is applicable or to fill in a unique gap where other applications are lacking. It's fun, generally easy to learn although a little difficult to master in technique, has plenty of features, and generates beautiful renders although many may find them a little too shadowy or soft at the default settings. The render options allow for "all or nothing" options with regard to radiosity but do allow for a large variety of pixel depth and anti-aliasing. For what it costs it's not a bad application to have just for the fun of it, if you don't mind paying for something that will mainly be for fun. Who knows, you might find it fits some professional need specific to you just fine.

Amapi Designer 7

I 've been very disappointed with this ap, because of it's learning curve to price ratio. I tried the demo and found it very difficult to learn but I recognized that Amapi Designer 7 can be a very powerful program especially when used with Carrara 3. The two together allow for just about every type of modeling method available. However, I find by it's very nature that NURBs modeling is not intuitive to me, especially as presented in Amapi. The concept is great, but it takes a lot of practice to become comfortable with NURBs in Amapi's free floating, sometimes disorienting work space. I found the tools difficult to master quickly. I bought the ap banking on the included documentation to make it easier to learn. Unfortunately, there was no physical manual, only pdfs. I hate bumbling around in PDFs while the ap is open (usually resulting in a crash in this case). I'd rather have a good manual with a comprehensive index next to me as I work. I've found no 3rd party books on Amapi 7 or earlier, only expensive CD based tutorials (again I need a book). I have hopes that I will eventually learn it but that probably won't be until eovia makes a printed version of the manual available (something I was told was scheduled to happen soon by an eovia rep -- something for which I've been waiting since Amapi Designer 7 first came out some months ago).

velarde ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2003 at 5:54 PM

file_84608.jpg

Hello Grant. I also use Poser and an asortment of tools (including Carrara) for OS X. Poser is really very simple to learn and stable( But I've been using it since version 1) so I know where everything is, and with each new feature I check the manual. I really purchased it on a whim (poser) , I justified it with a very small project and I've used it in a couple since then :). (Bought the download version with electronic manual (couldn't be easier) I wish Eovia would implement this Purchase option too.. Anyway... Here's a sample of a project I'm working on. Rendered in Carrara, Modeled in Carrara + 3D toolkit, and figures (low resolution versions) from Poser. Composited in Photoshop They import quite well. There's some issue with the trasparency in the eyelashes and eyes, I believe, but this topic is been discussed before. There should be some tutorials or messages in the archive. Also (I think ) that either Curious Labs or Eovia is working on a plug-in to incorporate this two products futher. In my opinion, Poser is a good tool to complment your presentations. Some people over in the Universe community kind of made fun of me for using Poser models, but I really don't have the time to learn how to model convincing human figures : ) I'm kind of lazy anyway.. : ) Good luck with your projects fjv

velarde ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2003 at 6:13 PM

Since you mentioned other applications.. I agree with Amapi... IT IS very powerful but kind of difficult (for me) to learn. Maybe the new version is better. Amorphium is quite good for adding some damage and imperfections to objects (with the brush tools) but that's more or less what I use it for... I would Seriously recommend 2 budget applications for your 3d arsenal. 1) Wings 3D (http://www.wings3d.com A GREAT vertex modeling application ( Complements Carrara vertex modeler quite nicely) Much more powerful, intuitive and models import quite easily and its FREE! 2) 3D toolkit 2.5 http://www.electricimage.com/ GREAT rendering and modeling applications. The modeling is VERY different from what you do in Carrara. Its mostly NURBS, splines and curves (I think that;s the correct term) instead of polygons. Get a little getting used to, but once you do you can build something in minutes , compared to hours (if possible) in Carrara. Bevels (all edges) , booleans that work, etc, etc They also import quite good in Carrara (for stills). An the toolkit's Animator software is MUCH more better that Carrara's animations tools (they really suck, sorry) : ( It costs 100 bucks and comes with a lot for the price (tutorials, etc) They want you to upgrade to the full Universe product, but I'm sure you won;t need that for a long time. Each tool has its stenghts and weakneses, so it up to you to find each one and use them together to make your work easier This is more or less what I use. hope it helps... : )

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2003 at 3:27 AM

I love 3D and I'm always trying to "fit it in" to what I do at work. I seek new tools to expand what I can offer my clients and employer. Sometimes there are no demo versions available; often the demo versions are not close enough to the "real thing" as to rely on for purposeful evaluation. As such, I take the risk and purchase programs now and again to see if I can incorporate them into my tool box. I can totally relate to that! Poser and Carrara do a good job in that respect. For print it is good stuff, but I am still working on creating stuff that doesn't jump at you as an obvious Poser model directly. Though a lot of people looking at the visuals you create with a fairly different view than peers around here. Most of the people really don't give a flying duck in HOW you created the image. They just relate to the image itself and what it evokes. I am not on Poser 5 yet (and on a G4, still), but I will upgrade eventually. Untill now I have been able to earn the cost for the software back. For some years now I have been thinking about buying LightWave, but Carrara and Poser (and occasionally Bryce) are enough for what I want. And for how much time I have on my hands.

GrantH ( ) posted Wed, 19 November 2003 at 9:09 AM

I appreciate all the excellent input -- extremely helpfull!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.