Fri, Sep 20, 10:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Working on t-shirt slogan (short!) -need reactions.

lavender ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2003 at 5:11 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:42 AM

Filk Music is about: curiosity creativity imagination participation What sort of reaction, if any, would you get to seeing this on the back of a t-shirt? (the front will say "Music is magic" and have pictures of elves and fairies playing and singing.) I find 8 words harder in some ways than 80 000. :( (I keep wanting to drop the music from the first line, but I can't figure out how to work it in later, and I think I would like to have it somewhere. Filk! Music of: curiosity creativity imagination participation Is that any better? Equally not anything

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2003 at 5:26 PM

This is no n help, but the first think I thought of whil I saw your posting is Filk! is Muse-ic Isn't it odd how the mind works? If it has Music is Magic on the front, do you need to have it say music on the back? What about Filk! is the sound of curiousity creativity imagination participatopm or song of or tune of or whatever? Just a thought. :) I'm not good at this kind of thing.

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2003 at 5:35 PM

Maybe I'm missing the point, in which case I will go away quietly and mutter to myself in a corner, but is it F-I-L-K music? Not F-O-L-K music. If so, would you care to describe Filk music to me? Any examples? Tangerine dream or Enya..(showing my age..) Regards Bilbo

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2003 at 5:55 PM

I just reread my posting and I'm wondering what "participatopm" is. :(

Proof before post, proof before post, proof before post

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2003 at 10:28 AM

The Aztec god of flatulence..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2003 at 10:44 AM

:D

Azha ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2003 at 10:54 AM

is FILK going to be connected to a dot.com? if so, you would do well by creating curiosity with just FILK? or "WHAT IS FILK?" with the elves or whatever on the back with the web address. That way you create mystery and wonder (which is a human magic of sorts) and then you Hit em with the music and the WhereAndWhatFor on the site. If FILK is a band you can always expand on the idea with your promo posters and/or gig flyers. P.S. If FILK (the music) isn't child oriented I would re-think the Elves or at least Funk them up to adult-like images. Just a thought... Azha

"Every line means something."
Jean Michel Basquiat

lavender ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2003 at 12:45 PM

Yes, FILK. Precisely so. Filk music does not have a specific style or sound. Although much of it is accoustic, for the simple reason that most filk activities are of the "lets get together, bring our instruments and sing" variety. However with the event of programmable midi keyboards and other electronic musical aids, other styles are becoming more and more common. There is also at least one filk rock band, and a couple filk chiors. Filk music is associated with fantasy, amoung other things, so the elves are appropriate. I'll be posting the beta version of the picture soon, and I'll post a link so you can tell me if it would be off-putting to adults. I don't consider it particularly cutesy, but then I have six children, so my views might be skewed. Songs about the mating habits of vampiric space ghosts are probably not suitable for children (okay, so songs about the mating habits of were-wolves are a little more common,) but many filk songs are kid suitable. It isn't a "kid" genre though, no. Filk music started out as folk music as done at science fiction conventions way back when folk music was having it's come-back. As you might imagine considering the venue, this quickly became folk music with a decidedly unusual slant. The new name came from a typo, and people said, "Well we're different enough from the regular folky crowd that we needed our own name anyway. Let's keep it." Filkdom grew beyond the sf convention scene, and is now a community in its own right.. There are 8-10 filk conventions held anually worldwide. The music is hard to describe, but the community isn't. At filk events people gather and sing. Singing along is generally encouraged. Making up your own songs to sing is also encouraged. If you find writing tunes difficult, then you can borrow tunes from anywhere you feel like, and just do words. If you find words difficult, you can borrow words (Tolkien and Kipling being two favorite sources), and just do tunes. If you have no gift for either, that's okay too. People will be singing about TV-shows, and their favorite books, and the movie they saw two weeks ago, and history, and dinosaurs, and greek mythology, and food, and computers, and quantum physics, and roleplaying games, and politics... and strange combinations of the above... Just about anything goes, but if you insist on singing covers of pop love songs, we will wonder what you are doing hanging around with us. "Curiosity, Creativity, Imagination and Participation" is something I've just recently come up with in an attempt to describe what filking is about. Conventional defintions don't seem to work very well. If you would like to hear actual filk music, I recommend visiting filk.com and listen to their webcast music station, filk-radio. (My connection is too slow to listen to web-radio myself.) Doing a websearch for filk and mp3 will also turn up bunches of hits, and there are a number of filk artists on mp3.com (although they aren't all labled as such, interesting.) The quality of the recordings will be widely variable. Filk is primarily a "live" genre, and only a few artists have put out top quality studio recordings. Most recorded filk on the web is available to allow other filkers to learn the songs, not to promote sales, and the production values are correspondingly low.

Crescent ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2003 at 6:34 PM

Why dilute the message with unnecessary words? Filk Music: curiosity creativity imagination participation Then you might want to put a closing line, like "Try it today." (Yes, that particular line is lame, but my brain is half-cooked oatmeal right now. Hopefully you get the idea.) Hope it helps, Cres

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2003 at 6:54 PM

How about: Filk? curiosity... creativity... imagination... participation... music! I think you're right, Crescent. People don't want to read a novel on a t-shirt. :)

lavender ( ) posted Tue, 11 November 2003 at 9:45 PM

Ooh, I like that one dialyn. I think I'm going with that. Thanks! And thank you to everyone else who commented, your help was very much appreciated.

Crescent ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2003 at 8:45 PM

Oh, dialyn nailed it! I really like that version.

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2003 at 8:47 PM

Team effort, Crescent. :)

lavender ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 12:07 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=539547

Isn't synergy wonderful? :) The URL links to a render of the scene I'm working on for the front, that I'm not quite happy yet. It's sort of in the same state as the logo for the back. I know the impression I'm tring to give, and the elements I want, but I don't think I'm putting them together quite right.

Mestophales ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 9:25 PM

FILK Music Accoustic sound and rhythmic prose Inspire creativity only you will know Will it inspire your imagination? Will it compel your participation? curiosity... creativity... imagination... participation... Feel it in your soul before you lose it

lavender ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2003 at 8:05 AM

Very poetic, Mestophales! Although I think it sounds more like a song lyric than a T-shirt slogan. I keep hearing it with an electric guitar back up though, which is a little innapropriate considering that it talks about being accoustic. Obviously I need to work on that.

boodah30 ( ) posted Sat, 22 November 2003 at 11:01 PM

Creative curiosity Mixed with Imaginitive Participation Filk Music Colaboration is Key to magic unlocked

JoeyAristophanes ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 11:25 AM

Music by Filk like Me :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.