Sat, Oct 5, 5:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: getting non conforming clothes to fit

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 8:25 PM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 4:21 PM

I just baught poser 5 and am having a problem. Although it is fairly easy to get figure based conforming clothing to fit an a poser model, I am finding it rather dificult to get other clothes props to fit on my models. I am fairly new to poser and have tried using the reference manual but have found the cloth room to be a total frustration. I am doing what it says to do, wich is, load both the figure and the clothes item. start a new simulation, clothify the garment. set collision for figure one, and calculate. it does not work. how do I get my clothes to fit my stock figures as well as v3? Please someone help out a rookie.

galactron22 ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 8:29 PM

?????....Huh???? See that's why I never bothered to get poser 5. Unless the clothing item is specificaly made for thet figure you're gonna have a hard time getting it to fit.

Ask me a question, and I'll give you an answer.

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 8:49 PM

Actually, you can get dynamic cloth to fit other characters than the one they are made for...this is easier with dynamic cloth, in fact, than conforming (I'm not saying it's easier to use...just that's it's often easier to get them to fit other sized characters, depending on how the item is made.

I just found a French tutorial that has an uneven English translation that addresses this point: http://www.imarend.com/tutorials/clothP5/index.htmlbut there are many others; Nerd 3d (http://www.nerd3d.com/Tutorial/Cloth/Cloth.htm) and Phil C. (http://www.philc.net/tutorialsIndex.htm), and Serge at Poserfashion (http://www.poserfashion.net/tutorials.htm) all have very informative tutorials that will help.

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 9:04 PM

I just got the program a few days ago and have just started to play with it. I did have poser 4 and was used to it. This is an example of the problem. I downloaded a vamp dress for v3. It was not a conforming figure item however. when I downloaded it into poser 5 it was placed in props. when i load it into the scene it is just above and behind v3. conforming figure clothes are easy, you just select the clothes figure and the from the edit tab click conform too and select fig 1. this dress wont let me do that. I am told to go the the cloth room and am about ready to use p5 as a door stop. I can manually manipulate the item over v3 but that wont get the perfect look am want. besides I am lazy, i want to click a few buttons and have the dress (r whatever)snap too. I tred using the stock p5 figure, I think her name is judy, but it didn't work with her either.

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 9:10 PM

file_85288.jpg

Conforming clothes are easy...unless you are trying to fit a coat for Don to a figure like Posette. Here she is modeling Don's coat in dynamic cloth.....it didn't take that long for this draft.

As with anything, you get out of Poser 5 what you are willing to put into it. I think dynamic cloth is a lot of fun. If you don't like to use it, that's fine too. :)

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 9:17 PM

but how did you do it? was it in the cloth room? or was it done somewhere else? what are the steps?

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 9:24 PM

I used the cloth room...I just used the tutorials I listed in message 3. The biggest thing (for me) is to make sure no part of the body pokes through the clothing. That seems to create the most problems. I adjust the body in Frame 1 so it doesn't peek out of the clothing, and then restore its shape in a later frame (for this one it was Frame 17) as well as pose it. I'm sure other people have other (and better) ways of working with it. I've still got a lot to learn. But the more I play with it, the more worthwhile it seems in the results.

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 9:50 PM

I really appreciate all your help dialyn and I promise to leave yo alone soon. you talk about frames. how do you manipulate frames. I know that when I start a new simulation the default is for 30 frames. When i clothyfied the item and set the collision the result was that it would fall either to the floor or through the floor. So I started to set my fram to 1 to 1 not 1 to 30. does this make a difference? also I am leaving the cloth item behind the figure. I am assuming the the cloth will flow tward the figure and drap it. I have noticed that when the cloth moves it moves down and not to the side or front to back. should I move the cloth item above the fig? you are going to hate me by the end of this. I thank you again and am going to go and download all the tuts you mentioned. It just occured to me that everything i just asked will mostlikely be covvered in the tuts. I am just frustrated I hope you and everyone who reads this understands.

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 10:01 PM

Don't leave the cloth behind the figure....if it is a piece of clothing, it has to be on the figure (but the figure must not be poking through the clothing). That's why your clothing is falling to the floor. You need to have several frames for the cloth to flow correctly....I understand the more frames, the smoother the flow of the cloth. I usually stick with 30 and use a middle frame to pose my character. Here's another weird thing....let's say you use 30 frames. You may find #30 looks strangely like #1. Go back through the frames and you will suddenly see the cloth fit the body. I don't know why the last frame seems to revert, but it does. So use many more frames than you think you need. As far as bothering me, I'm glad to be able to help. We all have to start somewhere and this is a very confusing thing to try to learn. Renderosity is, I believe, a place where we come to learn. I just hope some part of what I suggest is a help to you. It's not written in stone, by the way. There are different ways to achieve the same effect. Thsi just happens to be mine. :)

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for all your help. It is a matter of common sence to place the garment on the fig. Thats why I didn't do it I don't seem to have any. :) The reference manual never said do that just to add the two item, garment and fig. Hope you have a great day.

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for all your help. It is a matter of common sence to place the garment on the fig. Thats why I didn't do it I don't seem to have any. :) The reference manual never said do that just to add the two item, garment and fig. Hope you have a great day.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 10:33 PM

if you look at a lot of the galleries, you will see a lot of images have characters with no clothes.... maybe that's why ????

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 10:39 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love a nude pinup as much as the next guy, But sometimes the sexiest woman is one that leaves some things to the imagination.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 23 November 2003 at 10:56 PM

I agree:) Haven't dabbled much in the cloth room...this thread will give me incentive to do so. thanks for posting the original question. Also, I think this will work with cloth room stuff as well...if you have poke through of the skin, you can make that portion of the body not visible...of course if it is an area that has transparency and stuff, that method will not work, but for total coverage clothing works great.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

nerd ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 5:17 AM
Forum Moderator

shadowrealm, the dynamic cloth should be arented to the hip of the figure. That way it stays in the right general location while you pose the figure. When you calculate the simulation, let it have some (5-10) drape frames. This gives Poser some "time" to get the fabric into shape. Dialyn pointed you to my tut, it's very click by click and has lots of pictures. If it can't get you through a simulation without severe hair loss let me know. I'd like to improve the tut where I can. Nerd

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 8:52 AM

Don't forget to switch to the first frame in the timeline after the clothing simulation is finished. Usually, the preview window is not being updated to show the calculated result.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.