Tue, Oct 22, 3:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: That hair thing in Poser

Mason ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2000 at 10:46 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:32 AM

file_131922.jpg

Attached is a pic of my playing with the hair gizmo. Try it on just a sphere (not a head). I've tried exporting it and importing into 3ds max 2.5 but it comes out as a bunch of triangles or it comes out as 2d poly in obj format. Still, if the skull could be booleaned with this, it would make a cool mop top or, better yet, beards and fur. I'm also search the exe for anymore keywords.

Stormrage ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2000 at 11:00 PM

hmmmmmmm reminds me of 8o's hairstyles.. interesting Let us know if you find anyother keywords

moltingangel ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 12:23 AM

It's 'cute!' Looks playfull. Could be a neat character!

Nance ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 12:41 AM

Storm, I cannot get it to do anything: I load a figure, type hair & get the window open. Selected the hair prop as the current object. clicked "create on current object" saw nothing fiddled with dials clicked "create on current object" saw nothing clicked done saw nothing closed window rendered saw nothing different selected head type hair & opened tree window again clicked on head again clicked "create on current object" nothing clicked done nothing Have I skipped somethin?

Stormrage ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 1:10 AM

play with length and then wait after you apply it.. it takes it a few minutes.. (actually like the hair is growing)

Nance ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 1:40 AM

Should I see anything to indicate that it is still thinking? Does it permit other commands while it is growing? (I was able to execute other commands so I had assumed it was done)

duesentrieb ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 2:19 AM

I must be stupid, but where does this hair thingy belong to? Does it come with the latest Poser update from Curious Labs?

pdblake ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 3:01 AM

It's been there all along. I can get to it and I don't have any patches applied.

duesentrieb ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 7:49 AM

Sorry, I still don't get it. I can't find any menu entries in Poser for a hair or tree tool, neither in the manual. Can someone please enlighten me?

Director ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 8:03 AM

Played with it for several hours last night, one neat thing is that you can at least export it as an obj, and although you can't render it it still looks cool.

LeeMoon ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 8:03 AM

Hi duesentrieb. I'm running Poser 4.02 (last Metacreations patch) on a Mac. To see the Hair thing, you can do the following: Once Poser is running, go to Props and add a ball prop. Make sure it is selected. On your keyboard type "hair" (without the quotes). A window will open with a bunch of parameters. At the top of that window is a button labeled "create on current object" (or something along those lines). Click on the button and watch the hair grow. Lee

duesentrieb ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 8:15 AM

I can't believe it! Now I've seen it with my very eyes! Thank you very very much! Is this supposed to be an easteregg, or what? This thread is the first time I ever heard of it!

LoboUK ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 8:22 AM

::Cough, hack, splutter:: Sorry, hairball :) Paul

arabinowitz ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 9:08 AM

That's amazing! is this feature only available on the mac? Is it an easter egg in poser? Is it part of the patch? Aharon

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 9:22 AM

Hmm. No, Arabinowitz, I got it to work on my PC, but haven't played with it. Has anyone tried running the exported OBJ trhough Objaction Twoface? It might disappear when rendering due to lack of normals or something?

Director ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 9:32 AM

I tried Two Face, no luck there. No matter what I can't get the hair.obj to appear in an app other than poser.

Mason ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 11:17 AM

I think theya re using a special renderer. Here are my export results: DXF and 3DS: Both produce triangles only. Nothing that looks like the hair in the above pic. OBJ: The habware importer for MAX kind of choked but brought it in anyway. All I got was a 2d view of the hair and it was all in triangles. One cool thing is it does create a seperate object with sep materials. I think they are using a render trick with this and rendering just the edges. What I'm going to do next is save this as a cr2 or pz3 then looks at the results. If they have some special render settings, those maybe useful for other things as well.

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 11:29 AM

There is a trick with changing letters in the OBJ file to get something almost useful, but it was complex and I don't play with OBJs unless I absolutely have to. You can find the thread that covered this at Willow's PFO in the Poser Forum there. You know, the "triangle hair" looks very much like what I've seen in some anime and Japanese video games...

bloodsong ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 4:12 PM

heyas; nance, you sound like me :) you have to press the button and wait a while. and no, it doesn't indicate it's doing anything. try on the primitives before you try on hair/figures. on some hair props, the fuzz appeared outside the mesh to the back. also, the re-scale dial may have something to do with it; make sure you don't turn that down, until you can see the hairy stuff. my hair never comes out this thick and full, even when i use the maximum number of layers. :/

Nance ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 10:34 PM

Duh, Dopey Ol'Nance finally got it. Thanks. The model I was using was itself scaled up to 115% but the "hair-tree" effects were still being created at 100%. ...Seems I ended up last night with 36 versions located inside the model. DOOH! The up-side was they were all different. Coloring a few of them slightly differently, and dumping the rest, added to a more hair-like multi-highlighted texture effect (still just in preview). BTW - when I exported one as an .obj and tried to import it into UVMapper (to assign a Material to try and T-map it) it would not import and I got the error message: "The .obj file has no facet information" (Hoping that that might give one of you model-building/file-hacking types some clues on getting them to render.)

JeffH ( ) posted Thu, 17 August 2000 at 10:53 AM

The reason it doesn't render is because it has no "F" lines in the format; it has "L" lines instead of Faces. If you change the l's to f's you get triangles not strands. I wonder how they planned to render this effect if it were to be finished? -JH.

Nance ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2000 at 8:18 PM

Again, not a modeler, but, if all the strands are created from the same number of vertices, could you duplicate the model and use a spread sheet to define the faces between the two to create strands? For example,on a model with 10,000 vertices, if each strand were defined by four vertices, with the first strand being composed of vertices # 1,2,3,4 and the second by 5,6,7,8, could you duplicate and slightly offset it, combine both into a single obj file, and define the faces of the three segments on the first two strands as: f 1 2 10002 10001 f 2 3 10003 10002 f 3 4 10004 10003 f 5 6 10006 10005 f 6 7 10007 10006 f 7 8 10008 10007 Appears tedious but would really only take a few seconds in a spreadsheet. (and you can cut and paste from Excel into an .obj file) This sounded simpler to explain before I started to type. :-0

JeffH ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2000 at 8:28 PM

Wish I had Excel ;-) Give it a go and let us know what happens? -JH.

Nance ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2000 at 11:53 PM

Nutz, the strands are different lengths (differing number of vertices). Although they are grouped by length, it still makes it a cut&paste nightmare. Tried & got lost, even with small file with just 2500 vertices. Should still work though. Will take another shot at it again tomorrow.

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2000 at 7:57 AM

Lets hope Curious Labs is paying attention to this thread and can get this feature to work in P5! :-)

JeffH ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2000 at 11:00 AM

Let's hope they actually own the rights to the Treemaker code!! ;-) -JH.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.