Thu, Sep 19, 7:00 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 6:38 pm)

Subject: just venting

raptorweb1 ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 3:29 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 8:13 PM

finally got fed up with poser 5 uninstalled and reloaded 4.5 seems like its twice as slow as 4 and it makes things more complicated than they need to be.maybe i'll try it again some other time.

Indoda ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 3:46 PM

It has its days. Some days its well behaved and others down right miserable. It's good to vent. I have both 5 and 4 installed and work between the two. I like 5 for somethings and 4 for others. Choices ;) Have a good one!

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

Porthos ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 3:50 PM

Don't have 5, and no desire to have it, waiting out for DAZ STUDIO! It's good to let off steam now and again! ;)

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

wheatpenny ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 4:12 PM
Site Admin

I got Poser 5 a couple months ago and haven't looked back since. I like it so much that I sold my Poser 4 and now use P5 exclusively. Well, somebody had to represent the other side of the coin....

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Badco ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 5:03 PM

No, thats not true. Somebody didn't HAVE to do any such thing. Somebody could have just let him run with it, and realized that it is good to get things off your chest somtimes without having somebody go, Nahhhh nahhhh neener neener, mine works. imho

raptorweb1 ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 6:07 PM

i'll probably reload it and learn it while still using 4.thanks for your comments.

ladynimue ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 7:02 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/hostedforums.ez?hostedforum_id=94

Hi all, thanks for sharing your experiences with Poser 5 and Poser 4.5 Hey raptorweb1, don't give up :) It took me over a year to get my Poser people untied - I had one heck of a time figuring out how to pose them :) I recently also removed Poser 5 from my computer [due to needing the space and not having the time to play with Poser 5 properly]. When you have more time, please do give it another chance - I know that is what I am going to do :) Since martian_manhunter, has had good luck with Poser 5, maybe the two of you could get together and exchange solutions to problems :) If nothing else, it will be a great way to meet a new Poser Friend :) Oh, and this is a great chance for everyone to get their Poser 5 questions answered by the experts - Please check out the Front Page Spotlight interview with Jeff Flower and Joe Grover - they produced **POSER 5 DEMYSTIFIED** Have a great evening everyone :) ladynimue

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 8:44 PM

I use poser 5 and poser 4 as well...

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 9:31 PM

Poser4.5? Did I miss something here? I have P4.03/P5. I use them both together. Setups and character building in P4, then into P5 for the final work.

iamonk ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 10:26 PM

beryld, I believe the period is seperating sentences.
Or at least that's what I got.

Raptorweb1
When I first got P5, I wanted to cram it up CL's A...ah I don't need to go there. But I stuck with it, installed the updates and still wanted to cram it CL's A....ah yes.

Anywhoo, since SR3, it has run well.
I've considered using P4 again, to get some more speed, but it doesn't have the Material room, Firefly, or the directories, that are now "must haves".

I only use P4 to house backups of my P5 geometries and textures folders nothing else. I don't even open it up, just need it there for the 3DSMAX plugin to work.

I have been considering the Reiss plugin, but I can't confirm that it will import P5 material room data.

Badco
P5 DOES run great for ME. If that pisses anyone off, then I'm truly sorry but NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH. I don't know what I could possibly be doing different than someone that is having issues. All I can say is figure it out, stick with it and you will. If you abandon it, you DID waste money. There are plenty of people here willing to help and/or be vented upon.

I myself am looking forward to DAZ|Studio, but if it can't handle P5's materials, then it is useless to me.
One thing is for sure, it will be a LONG time before it can even attempt to contend with Poser.

mondoxjake ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 11:02 PM

Poser 5? Reminds me of my old days in the Texaco Service Station; back when I had to work on tire innertubes...put enough patches on the darn thing, and eventually it will hold air.

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 11:58 PM

...put enough patches on the darn thing, and eventually it will hold air. Sounds a bit like Windows 98 :-) Didn't patches for that come out on a monthly basis?

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

millman ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 12:12 AM

Either poser or daz studio have plans for a linux version?

sandoppe ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 2:28 AM

I agree with ladynimue....try it again later. I never had Poser 4....P5 was my first experience with Poser, consequently I didn't have much choice :) I still don't know how to use everything, but have managed to figure out it's basic quirks and how to manage them :) Now that it can interface with Vue, I'm pretty satisfied.

Berserga ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 8:14 AM

I just wonder how long it'll take after Platinum club members get the DS alpha before the malcontents turn on DAZ too? "You promised the moon!" (no you just assumed it) "This is too unstable!" (Uh... it's an alpha.) "The open GL preview doesn't work right on my Voodoo II card! you guys suck!" (@_@) "This interface is too different from Poser 4!" (....) Sorry... "Just venting" :p

Badco ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 8:30 AM

"Well DS Alpha works fine on my machine, neener neener neener ! Hahaha !!!! I don't have problems buy you do, I don't have problems but you do !<<>>" (I don't have DS Alpha but it sounded about right) I noticed a kind of trend. People that never had Poser4 don't seem to have any problems with Poser5.(if you don't know what you are missing then you don't miss it, kind of thing) Most of the people I see that ARE having problems say they are going back to Poser4. I don't have toooooooooo many problems with Poser5 myself, but it is about 10 times slower than Poser4. To me, it is like working in molassas. I think that a couple gigs of ram and a pentium5 5.2ghz should fix my problems !

Berserga ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 10:38 AM

The speed differences (in terms of rendering) can usually be greatly affected by render settings. Simply saying it's 10 times slower... MAY... be comparing apples and oranges. (speaking of SR2 BTW) and I have and USE both P4 and P5. I also think your point shows that some P4 users simply shrank in the face of P5's added complexity and thats why they went back to the comfortable old P4. (Hey I'm not slamming em... I refuse to upgrade from Truespace 4 cuz I hate the newer versions' interfaces.) If your happy with what P4 does theres no reason to upgrade, if you feel your art needs ray tracing and advanced shaders, then P5 is the only way, at least until DS matures into a complete solution.

Berserga ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 10:38 AM

I meant Sr3 BTW.

Badco ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 2:10 PM

I simply meant that on MY machine, with full tracking on, posing in P5 is 10 times slower than P4,(I'll even back up a bit and say its only 5 times slower). Even when rendering in P5 with all the P4 defaults in place it is still about 3 time slower. Your personal experience may vary. The only thing that keeps P5 on my machine is the added complexity. Otherwise it would just be a slower P4. I want to use the darn dynamic clothing and wind effects for my animations so bad I can taste it !

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.