Sun, Oct 6, 2:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Vue vs Vue Pro

Richmathews ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 2:50 AM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 3:10 PM

I got Vue 4 pro, but the program crashes more times than a blind driver!! So I am considering taking it back and getting Vue d'esprit. Can any one tell me the differences (if any noticable) and if mover 4 is the same mover 4 fo both? Any info would be great especially the stability compared with pro, and compatability with poser5.. Thank you for all the help you can all give. Oh one last thing, the stuff I have managed to do in pro, would it transfer to d'esprit fine?

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 3:14 AM

If you have bought Mover 4 as a standalone program, you may be able to use it with Vue 4. Your scenes created in Vu ePro will not work in Vue 4. Vue 4, updated to 4.2 can import Poser 5. The differences between Vue 4 Pro and Vue d'Esprit are enormous. No plant editor, no wind, no Python, no automatic recognition of figure changes in Poser, no possibility to aim a light to a special object, no undo, and, and, and, many other features that doesn't exist in Vue d'Esprit 4. So, first try to find out why your Vue Pro crashes. There is for sure a solution. It could be a graphic card issue and OpenGL. If this is the reason, disable OpenGL. Not anough memory? Are you using MAC or PC? Tell us more. What kind of error messages are you getting? Have you correctly installed your Mover (from the Pro CD?). What are you doing to make Pro crash? Guitta

Richmathews ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 3:31 AM

I should have given you more, sorry. Here ya go.. PC , 2.43ghz p4 processor , 768mb ram , nvidia gforce3 128mb agp graphics card (although have switched opengl off and it still crashes) , windows XP pro. It crashes with or without mover. Error is just vue4pro.eon has performed an illegal operation and must shut down. Crashes randomly, sometimes when moving an object, sometimes in five minutes from loading and sometimes in 15 minutes. Let me know what else you need.. thank you for this. (I'm actually wondering if this is a dodgey copy from this dodgey shop!!>:( )

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 3:36 AM

What please means the word "dodgey"?? As a no native English speaking, it doesn't mean any thing to me. Have you purchased Vue 4 Pro at e-onsoftware or somewhere else?

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 3:52 AM

Richmathews; You -may- have a valid concern there. E-on has a few tricks they use to prevent piracy; one of them involves the installer and the CD. Warez kiddies have reported this same behavior with ripped copies of Vue; no stability and constant, random crashes. If this was a valid copy of VuePro it should: (1) Have been in a rigid box that opens from the side. (2) Have a 461 page manual, with the liscencing agreement on page 461 (3) Have the 3 CD's in a cardboard, triple fold protector as large as the manual that has a shortcut reference printed on it, among other things, and (4) A registration card and a rigid envelopes of Vue scene postcards. If all that was not there, then you may have a problem. If it is there, then contact E-on. There have been some defective CD's, and they should replace them if they are. You might want to test the install on another computer first, though. A flakey CDDVD combo drive can cause that kind of problem due to buffer overrun on installation. So can a memory stick that is in the process of failing.

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 3:56 AM

Ooops, Left off dodgey. In this context, it means possibly illegal. Guitta. Oh, and all three CD's have the same Vue4 Professional logo scene airbrushed onto the tops of them, but in different colors.

impish ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 4:00 AM

I was having the same random crash problem. I installed the Beta update and I havn't had a crash since. So for those of us suffering from this blight there is hopefully light at the end of the tunnel. dodgy adj. Chiefly British dodgier, dodgiest 1. Evasive; shifty. 2. Unsound, unstable, and unreliable. 3. So risky as to require very deft handling. Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English dodgy adj 1: of uncertain outcome; especially fraught with risk; "an extremely dicey future on a brave new world of liquid nitrogen, tar, and smog"- New Yorker [syn: chancy, chanceful, dicey] 2: marked by skill in deception; "cunning men often pass for wise"; "deep political machinations"; "a foxy scheme"; "a slick evasive answer"; "sly as a fox"; "tricky Dick"; "a wily old attorney" [syn: crafty, cunning, foxy, guileful, knavish, slick, sly, tricksy, tricky, wily] So a dodgy shop is one that you arn't certain is entirely legitimate/above board/trustworthy.

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest

Richmathews ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 4:14 AM

I'll give the beta update a go, but I'm feeling I've been done!! Ah well, I should have ordered online, but it worked out so much more expensive (spot the idiot here!!) v_v

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 4:18 AM

You cannot update if you don't have a legal version.

Richmathews ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 4:28 AM

Let me hold out for a tiny bit of hope and I haven't wasted close to 500. Argh!!!! Ah well, more fool me I guess.

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 4:32 AM

For 500 it should be a legal copy. Have you registered your Vue Pro copy at e-onsoftware? If not, you need to do so first. Then it should work.

Richmathews ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 4:35 AM

But if it's not registered it shouldn't work, rather than work and crash? Am I wrong here? It wasn't quite 500, but close enough.

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 4:44 AM

Anyhow, to be able to have the latest updates for Vue 4 Pro (there is a very recent one), you need to be registered at e-onsoftware with your serial number. If your serial is recogniced, you will be able to update. If it is not recogniced as a valid serial, then you are lost, unfortunately. But if ever you have purchased your copy at a legal reseller with (as Dale said) (1) Have been in a rigid box that opens from the side. (2) Have a 461 page manual, with the licencing agreement on page 461 (3) Have the 3 CD's in a cardboard, triple fold protector as large as the manual that has a shortcut reference printed on it, among other things, and (4) A registration card and a rigid envelopes of Vue scene postcards. If all that was not there, then you may have a problem. then just tell me and I will get a contact for you at e-onsoftware. But I can do this ONLY if you have all these things, and an invoice of your pourchase.

Richmathews ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 4:51 AM

Thats the problem, It all looked genuine, but after you saying what should be in there, it doesn't sound it, or its a second hand copy. Either way it looks like I'm slightly screwed and my hard earned pennies have gone down the drain. Start saving again for a real version I guess, hopefully by then it'll be a little cheaper. Back to poser5 I guess v_v

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 4:58 AM

All this sounds like a very bad joke to me. The legal boxed "with every thing in it" copy of Vue 4 Pro costs 419 . How could you purchase an illegal copy "without any of the above mentionned" for "close to" 500 ??????????

Richmathews ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 5:10 AM

Not a joke, and stop rubbing it in. I didn't know what it should have come with, it was in a box that looked pretty damn good, and it had three disks and a binded book. It cost me about 399, then a little more for mover4. It all loaded on ok and seemed to go fine, but then crashed and now crashes every so often. I thought it was a problem with XP or my graphics card but it all seems to be working fine, and updated recently. Even tried with opengl switched off. no prieview pane etc etc, but no luck. I guess I have been swizzed by a very good con man. My fault for wanting it quickly really. Should have got it from the website for the 150 more (vat & shipping) and waited for it to get here. Damn me being impatient!!

bogwoppet ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 5:17 AM

I have updated my Vue4 Pro with the Beta and it didn't improve matters - the program is still very unstable and unpredictable. I have 1GB of ram and it still runs out of memory so I'm upgrading to 2GB in the hope that this solves some of the problems. I suspect that there is a memory leak in there - somewhere. It's a shame that two of my favourite programs are very unstable Poser 5 and V4P but I live in hope that they will eventually be fixed. Vue 4 is far more stable than Pro but I've been spoiled by the features and won't go back now. At least registered users of Vue can get fast support which is more than can be said for other programs - not mentioning any names :)

Richmathews ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 5:24 AM

Well I'm just on the site now ordering my full copy. After all that's what my overdraft is for I guess. I'll be back and having a hell of a time soon (how long does it take to ship from the us to uk??) kick ass!! ^_^

bogwoppet ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 5:28 AM

I bought my V4P from Amazon UK and it took a couple of days.

bogwoppet ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 5:31 AM

Oops - appologies - that was Poser 5 I got Vue direct and it took two or three days. Sorry I was having a senior moment :)

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 5:32 AM

bogwopped, Steve from e-onsoftware explained to me, that, if you have a scene over 100 MB big, you may need in fact 2Giga memory. I only have 1 Gig RAM on a 2.8 Machine and only had crash problems when scenes becomes really extremely heavy. Otherwise not. Vue 4 Pro works like a charm :-) So that's not a Vue 4 Pro problem, just a problem of our poor machines. A hint from Steve: Disable multiple undos, uncheck the small preview window, hide layers and objects you don't need absolutely to see while working on your scene, group objects. Guitta

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 5:37 AM

Rich, e-onsoftware has offices in Oregon and Paris. Your copy will be sent from France to UK, not from the USA. The Visa processing for all European countries is in the UK :-). Now, all depends on the fastness of your Visa processing and you will get your copy very fast, just a few days :-)

Richmathews ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 5:40 AM

WOO-HOO!! :D

bogwoppet ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 5:42 AM

Thanks for that Guitta, I too have been in contact with Steve. I will give your (his) suggestions a try - sounds like good advice. My scenes are very heavy and I hope my upgrade to 2GB will help. I love V4P and will continue to use it even if it does continue to crash. Tony

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 8:56 AM

"Steve from e-onsoftware explained to me, that, if you have a scene over 100 MB big, you may need in fact 2Giga memory. I only have 1 Gig RAM on a 2.8 Machine and only had crash problems when scenes becomes really extremely heavy. Otherwise not. Vue 4 Pro works like a charm :-) So that's not a Vue 4 Pro problem, just a problem of our poor machines. A hint from Steve: Disable multiple undos, uncheck the small preview window, hide layers and objects you don't need absolutely to see while working on your scene, group objects." Hi, Guitta (stealing this thread for myself). So, a 2.8 machine is an old machine? OUCH! I'm about the same as you with 2.4 and 1 GB of RAM. A scene I'm working on now is up to 68 MB and I haven't added the several Michael 3 figures (with sci-fi textures) and weapons. Also more meshes to add for detail. OUCH! I've already started having problems with program crashes but I don't even get an error message...it just "goes away". I would hate to buy 1 more GB of (expensive) RDRAM (for my Dell) and STILL have the problem. Sometimes, it's just dropping to ground a plant...BOOM...program gone. I'm not trying to be a butthole about it and rant like crazy...I would like to give the information to Eon so they could use it to try and figure out what the problem is but there isn't much information to give out..."I clicked on 'drop to ground' and the program disappeard." doesn't seem like much help for them. And if they asked for my scene to try and duplicate it, how would I get 68MB to them? I've started saving the file after 5 or 6 changes but writing out the save file (and the backup file) gets to be a bother after a while. I don't think it's my system because V4 is VERY stable on it. Other than the tips above, to help stop crashes, how can I help Eon make this wonderful product more stable? And I say wonderful because of the things you mentioned above...I don't need Pro for the "pro" ability with the other high-end products but the plant editor, the Open Gl, and the ability to look "through" the lights is great.

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 9:16 AM

Chuck, one of my scenes (over 100 MB big) has been tested by e-on. It's clear, it would not crash on a 2 Giga Ram:-). I had more then 4 very high resolution bitmaps in it (4000x4000). When I disable all what Steve said, it works without crashing. Before I had about the same problem as you, could not add and move and so more then 1 object, had to save the scene, shot down Pro (often even reboot my computer), because otherwise my Pro would crash. Pro needs VERY much more memory then Vue 4 with all these undos... BTW. I did not say that "a 2.8 machine is an old machine". Mine is "only" about 6 month old. (Of course, for a computer seller that's already old. LOL)

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 9:25 AM

You said, "just a problem of our poor machines" and that's what made me feel bad...LOL. I thought by "our" that you meant yours and all the ones like it...hehe. Mines is over year and a half old. I guess I will check into more memory and see what the cost would be. RDRAM is expensive. Hmmmm, wonder if I could "cheat" a bit and use alpha planes in the background. I have several building meshes without much detail just for "color". Maybe I should check into that. Or just get more RAM. UGH, decisions decisions. Thanks for the reply!

Richard T ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 10:55 AM

Why does eon's website state "256 MB of free RAM (512MB recommended)" for windows? I am unhappy with 1GB (also 2.6Mhz) :-(

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 11:06 AM

256 is the minimum to be able to work with Vue Pro. I know some users having 1 G machine and 256 Ram. They seem happy. Of course, if you only put 5 plants and some low polygone objects with procedural mappings, no problem:-). The problem starts at VERY elaborated scenes.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 11:08 AM

Yes, a bit disconcerting, Richard, but maybe they had in mind the average scence being built. Who knows, right? I don't know the Windows requirements on the box but SOME OSs can't even handle 2MB of RAM.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 11:15 AM

Hehe, Guitta, seems we posted similar kind of thoughts. I don't fault Eon, though. 3D stuff takes a lot. I even consider looking for a dual processor PC next time to help with the software that takes advantage of it. Speed is everything, right? Lord knows we all hate waiting for those 3-day renders...lol.

Richard T ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 11:37 AM

If i'm building a scene with lots of Poser figures in it then it is back to Vue4 (VERY stable even very large files) I don't want to ugrade yet, processor speed hasn't doubled, as current PC was brought in April this year and it's only supposed to be a hobby! :-)

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 11:40 AM

I think a lot of people use it for hobby. But I think Eon made it for serious people, too. If so, it has to be able to make those "pros" happy. We aren't all Guitta's ... LOL. But Eon has to think about the people that are. I'm in the same situation as you are...processor speed hasn't doubled so I don't want to get an upgrade. I'm sure it will become more stable as time goes by and one day you'll marvel at how stable Pro while complaining about Vue Pro Elite...hehe.

John12 ( ) posted Tue, 09 December 2003 at 4:11 PM

Gebe said "Vue 4 Pro works like a charm" Oh I see, that must mean that all the users who have reported problems don't know what they are talking about, have a computer that is a total mess, that every new version of Vue d'Esprit or Pro only needs 1 or 2 updates and that 90% of the Vue users believe all this. Oh, well, maybe 10% do LOL

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 10 December 2003 at 3:59 AM

Yes, right, it works like a charm. At least for me and many others. The updates for Vue Pro are minor updates:-) and some improvements too. As we beta testers try to "see" every thing, even the smallest issues:-). Guitta

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.