Tue, Oct 8, 9:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 08 8:34 am)

Subject: Distributing morph targets versus copyright issues

pazu ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 9:23 PM ยท edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 6:12 AM

I created some morph targets for a commercial wireframe, and saved them along with a new .CR2 file. Obviously, distributing this .CR2 file would be a copyright violation. Is there any way I can distribute my morph targets without violating copyright? My thinking is:

1. I could extract my morph targets from the commercial .CR2, then write a program that patches my targets into the user's commercial .CR2. Is this OK? Does the modified text that defines my new morph target belong to me, or to the original author?

2. As the manual suggests, I can export the morphed body part in .obj format, and reload with "Object:Load Morph Target." But do I have distribution rights for that modified .obj part?

3. As an ignorant newbie, am I missing some easy and legal way to distribute morph targets?

4. What makes a wireframe geometry "belong" to somebody anyway? Is it the exact polygon placement, the mathematical coordinates of the vertices, or what? What has to be different to make one wireframe (or texture, or whatever) not infringe on another?

What a can o' worms! I should probably take a clue from the fact that I haven't noticed many third party morph targets in distributionseems a pity!

Thanks for your opinions!

_Audrey ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 10:35 PM

[As the manual suggests, I can export the morphed body part in .obj format, and reload with "Object:Load Morph Target." But do I have distribution rights for that modified .obj part?] Dodger says: Save the object file and then open the object in a text editor. Remove all lines except those that start with 'v'. That will make the object unusable for anything except as a morph target (unless a user is crazy enough to try to rebuild it manually by connecting the dots -- and on a humanoid head and stuff like that that might take months of work). For Millenium 3 people (Victoria 3, Michael 3, Ingenue Vicky, The Freak, She-Freak, Puck and Stephanie Petite) as well as a few other figures (the Millenium Cat, for instance) you can build an injection pose. You can actually build an injection pose for another figure, too, but you'd have to overwrite an existing morph channel. For instance, you could build an injection pose for Vicky 2 and inject deltas over, say, the 'Emaciated' morphs for a full body morph. But the user would not be able to use both Emaciated and your morph in combination, so, if you take this approach, choose carefully what morph you overwrite and go for the one that looks worst with your morph (or even one that just doesn'twork with it).

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 11:23 PM

morph targets can be distributed as long as no part of the morph was made by snyone else (no using Daz's morphs for a base and combing them) as an obj, z-squished, See the tutorial at Morphworld3.0, or use the P-wizard Morphsquisher (commercial product) in a carrier cr2 with NO other morphs loaded. Add and remove morphs via MorphManager (free). Since a cr2 is useless without the base figure obj, it is safe to distribute. Morphs live in the cr2, so must be stripped out. V3, M3 and Freak are recomended to use the Injeciton Method, but DAZ does allow distribution of morphs placed in the Base cr2 (I asked them myself to get a straight answer. confusing FAQ)

sixus1 ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 6:23 AM

Attached Link: Link

You can also create a CR2 file that readScripts the base cr2 and then add the morph that way. It just shows up at the bottom of the list of morphs, but then you don't have to worry about someone getting upset that you overwrote one of their morhp channels. Rebekah

iamonk ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 7:45 AM

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks Rebekah.

pazu ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 11:00 AM

Thanks to all for your input. Those third party program recommendations were very helpful! It's sure daunting for a newbie to get a handle on all these Poser files, but it's starting to make sense now. Other newbies should note that I also learned a lot by using a text editor to look at the distribution .CR2 files (and other files) on various commercial figures and comparing that to what is presented in Poser. I'm making progress from the help I've received on this forum. I'm sure there are many Poser users who would just have given up without this resource.

sixus1 ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 3:46 PM

The text editor is your friend :) Although, I have taken to using Morph Manager now to delete morphs and move them around while developing. iamonk: Glad that my hours of cutting and pasting could benefit someone else :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.