Thu, Sep 19, 11:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: help whast better poser 4 or 5

FeatherTalon ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 10:09 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:01 PM

i need help iam not sure what poser to get poser 5 or poser 4 with pro pack i have a few friends with poser 4 but they dont really know the diffrence between them can someone help

JVRenderer ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 12:34 AM

I'm with Ratteler I can't use most of the dynamic stuff in P5, so what good are they for then. It hangs 50% of the time. And I am sick and tired of people telling me to use smaller texture maps. It's not up to me to accomodate the program, it's up to the manufacturer to accomodate me. Afterall, they are not paying me to test the program for them, I paid for the program, and I expect the program to work in a satisfactory manner. AND Please don't tell me to upgrade my computer. It's fast enough to do most jobs (XP2800, Win2k, 1 Gb RAM, 120GB HD). I have uninstalled and reinstalled P5 3 times with the latest patches. I've gone back to P4 propack.

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

sekhet ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 12:58 AM

I dont want to get into another one of these, but I guess it depends on what you exepct it do. Look back through the posts and youll find more questions like yours. I agree with the previous 2 replies. I SHOULD NOT have to deal with a program that does not function as advertised. I resent paying 200+ dollars to be a beta tester.

narsil ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 2:40 AM

Rattler Have you actually used P5???? Propack has no materials room dynamic hair dynamic clothes Ray tracing renderer need I go on.. It takes a while and some application to use the beast and it it not perfect but much much better than poser 4 It's no good saying "I cant use the dynamic stuff" and blaming it on the program all the above works fine on my machine all that happens when you use a faster machine is the dynamics work faster. My previous machine (AMD 1.2GHz) worked fine. I pulled the entire program folder(runtimes et all) over to my new machine(Intel 2.6 HT) over the network with no problem. I had to re-install poser 4 - which I have used once - to use the cursed morph injections for V3 that all , after P5 p4 is a toy It just depends if you have the patience to learn how dynamics work, I have and snort derisively at people who can't or won't - and blame the program. Texture mape -= been using 4096 pixel maps for these many years. I've seen poser grow up from poser 1 to 5 and every last one is a learning curve. I have my P5 working just fine, I look forward to P6 - and I will make sure that I read the manuals, and tutorials that other users put up. and continue enjoying doing things. back to lurking

JVRenderer ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 3:00 AM

Narsil, Believe me, I know how to use the cloth room, the hair room and the material room. I've read and viewed all the tutorials that came out for poser 5. I didnt say Poser 5 didnt work, it works well with limited or very small items. (small textures, small calculations, etc.). But when it requires larger amount of calculations. It hangs 50% of the time. Try to load a 80 MB complex scene in Poser 5 and you know what I mean. I still can render still simple scene without dynamic cloths or hair, but then why should I use poser 5 for that? I can do that faster in Poser 4 Propack! The problem I have with Poser 5 is that it didnt deliver the promise that was listed when I bought the program. I bought it the first week they launched. I am still waiting for a patch that's suppose to make it run smoothly. JV.

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

smiller1 ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 3:26 AM

Attached Link: http://www.apvn53.dsl.pipex.com/

Poser 5 is great- if it works on your machine. However, if you are one of the minority for who it doesn't work, then it sucks. (I base this minority statement on previous threads in this forum- when someone asked if P5 worked there were many, many more said yes than no. Those who can't get P5 to work are frustrated and, understandably, they are very vocal about it on this forum). If you want to know what Poser 5's functions are, you can download the manual from the Curious Labs website. In my opinion, the renderer and material room are worth the extra money alone. The dynamic hair looks great but it does take a lot of render time. I haven't played with the cloth room and I was disappointed with the face room. If you are running Windows 98 or ME, don't bother with P5, in my experience, it can't handle memory well enough for P4 never mind P5. I run a Windows XP machine with 256MB memory and a Celeron 600MHz machine. My P5 scene limit would appear to be 3 figures ( A clothed Michael 3 with , his trenchcoat which I'm counting as a figure and Judy clothed plus a few props ). If you don't have a machine as good as or better than this, then I would not recomend P5, as I think I just get away with running P5 and I certainly cannot run any other major application at the same time. If you have a fast link, check my web site out for the results I get. Finally, you may want to wait a few more months to see what Daz Studio can do, this may be the new contender on the block, we're all waiting to see what it can and, more importantly, what it can't do. The trial version will be free, but I'm guessing that you want to get P4/5 for Xmas. Hope this helps you decide what to do, I know how difficult it can be deciding to buy software you haven't used.

Magix-101 ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 6:37 AM

Basically I think Poser 5 is better and definitely worth getting! I have 3 machines..Amd XP 1800, P4 Northwood 1.8ghz and a new HyperThread P4 3.00Ghz with 2 gig ram...it works fine on all of them. (flys on the p3 hyperthread!!!) I agree for faster scenes Poser 4 is better, but Poser 5 offers a lot more and now that E frontier has become the parent company then Poser has become a whole new ballgame....its a very strong possibility that Poser could end up with one of the best renderers in the business. Check out their gallery using the pathtracer renderer http://shade.e-frontier.co.jp/en/gallery/index.html this technology will almost definitely find its way into Poser or be able to import Poser scenes. OK Poser 5 was rushed...but its working good now and I dont see any reason to not use it...and it makes a lot of sense to have it so you are on the upgrade path to newer versions. Plus I LOVE THE CLOTH ROOM ...I have written heaps of tutorials for it along with my dynamic clothes packs ..and its great...hey Poser 4 does long flowing clothes that look like shit. Thats reason enough to buy Poser 5 in my opinion, the materials are great too. Nope...get Poser 5 and maybe use Poser 4 for quick scenes...Poser now has a parent company that has some pretty happening software...so get it!!! Thats my hang on it anyway. Cheers Harvey Mann

Kelderek ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 7:27 AM

A subtle point here... There is no such thing as Poser 4 anymore. The new name is Poser Artist, which is basicly the same product in a new box. The Poser 5 features that I really appreciate are: The Material Room, the Cloth room and the possibility to organise your library better. The last one is not to be underestimated. Your library will quickly overflow with products and freebies, and Poser 4 only allows one folder level... These three features are reason enough to go for Poser 5, in my opinion.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 11:42 AM

I've got PP and P5, and I use both, and see the merits of both. I don't have Lightwave, or Max, or any of those high-end programs. Other than Vue, Poser's all I've got, so the Cloth Room and the Hair Room are great for me, slow and buggy as they are. (The Face Room's pretty useless, and I recommend getting rid of Content Paradise. P5 will run better for it.) I also love the P5 library setup. Not just the multiple runtimes, but the whole way the library's setup. Having to go back to navigating the P4 setup is a PITA for me. OTOH, PP is a lot more stable. I've got a Pentium 2.8 GHz with 1.5 Gb RAM - a fairly new machine - and P5 still chokes on large renders. It's also much slower than PP. So I still use PP when I want something quick & dirty, or when I'm rendering a very large scene.

Lawndart ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 1:43 PM

As someone said in another post on the same subject: Do a P5 search and view the threads but "WATCH FOR TROLLS".

FeatherTalon ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 6:24 PM

hmmm so i understand there goods and bads to each but iam still unsure of what to get i have a very highend machine almost 2 grand worth of gamming power here so rendering shouldnt take too long just wish i could try out both and see what there likebut thanks for the help ill look around and see whats going on

DarkMatter_ ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 2:47 AM

Ilike poser 5's features but I dercided to go back to poser 4 because poser 5 hangs too much and takes forever just to open the libraries folder.....

DarkMatter_ ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 2:47 AM

Ilike poser 5's features but I decided to go back to poser 4 because poser 5 hangs too much and takes forever just to open the libraries folder.....

DarkMatter_ ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 2:48 AM

Ilike poser 5's features but I decided to go back to poser 4 because poser 5 hangs too much and takes forever just to open the libraries folder.....I use poser unless I want to go to render on a special project.

DarkMatter_ ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 2:48 AM

Ilike poser 5's features but I decided to go back to poser 4 because poser 5 hangs too much and takes forever just to open the libraries folder.....I use poser4 unless I want to go to render on a special project.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.