Sat, Sep 21, 10:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 10:29 pm)

Subject: How did you organise your P5 runtime folders?

Finister ( ) posted Sun, 28 December 2003 at 7:52 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 8:31 PM

Due to the Poser 4 library folder limits I've got 2/3 of all my Poser stuff on some 40 CD's and now that I've just recently upgraded to poser 5 I'm giddy about the multiple runtimes option!! I'd like to add every single Poser goody I have into my mutiple runtime folders. How did you all set up your multi-runtimes? Can V3/M3/S3 cr2s be placed in a newly created runtime folder? Like say I created a cr2 of a M3 butler and saved it in a character library called "House Staff". I know the inject pose files named !DAZ have to remain in the original runtime, but what about the M3 Butler? Can I add him to a new runtime or do all generation 3 people have to be in the original runtime? thanks! fin

caulbox ( ) posted Sun, 28 December 2003 at 9:24 PM

Apart from the issue with the DAZ deltas, then basically you can organise your runtimes however you please. You may (for example) decide to place your M3 Butler in a runtime which contains all of your Mike3 stuff, or alternatively you may decide that he better belongs to your House Staff runtime. It's all down to personal preferences really. However, if you're planning at some future stage to burn self-contained backups of your carefully crafted runtimes, then I would recommend that the location of textures serve as your guide. (no pun intended) To clarify what I'm trying to explain... I have a separate runtime for each character. When I first started to build these runtimes, I included character specific hair in each one. However, as most of the hair is universally applicable, I now find it a much better strategy to have a separate self-contained runtime for hair instead. Two general points: As long as the runtime library which contains them has been added to Poser, then Poser will find textures wherever they might be located irrespective of any referencing. However, if an object location is referenced with a full path (rather than runtime:colons:) Poser will report it as missing and ask you for its location. One last tip which you may find handy when (and if) you are deciding where to place new downloads. Most downloaded items are now zipped with nested runtime folders (which I really do appreciate). When looking at a new download for the first time, I'm in the habit of simply unzipping it (to wherever it is on my hard drive), and then temporarily pointing P5 to its location. This gives me a separate runtime purely for deciding whether or not I want to keep a permanent copy of the item.

Gromit ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2003 at 4:58 AM

I'm really glad to see this question. I recently replaced my old computer with a new Micron (3.2GHz, 2Gb RAM & 300Gb HD) and upgraded to Poser 5. I've been trying to figure out the best way to set up these libraries and this is the first thing I've run across on this subject. Thanks for the info. Gromit

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2003 at 8:33 AM

!

odeathoflife ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2003 at 1:32 PM

What I do is have a daz folder - characters - Victoria - etc - clothes - animals Sixus Folder - monsters - werewolf - dragons - characters - lilin - adam etc...... Same for props and stuff, I arrange by developer rather then character, with sometimes many subfolders, I find it easier this way then by character, but again if I had a daz#3 character with what they bring to the folders I may rethink that set up.

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

tom_b ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 5:47 AM

i am confused. i will have this problem in a few weeks when i get my new pc. you like nested runtime files? I hate them! usually i have to unselect the keep subfolders and hand place them I only want one runtime. anmymore and its confusing. i was looking forward to organizing my folders. to start off all the daz stuff needs to go in a daz folder. figures, (daz), (people, clothing,hair) poses, (daz), (inj, rem, mat, poses) then in each of those subs organize again the character to whom it is designed for vic mic ect Is this a bad idea?

caulbox ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 3:18 PM

Again, I'd say that the only files which really ought essentially to be kept in the native P5 runtime are the !DAZ delta files (not to be confused with the INJ and REM pose files which employ the deltas). From my own experience, I don't think there is any problem whatsoever in re-locating or renaming all of your INJ and REM poses to whatever best suits your preferences. However, if there are any subsequent DAZ upgrades to (eg) Vicki3, you must be aware that the automated DAZ installer can only be expected to search for and modify the INJ/REM files if they remain where first installed, and haven't been renamed. With regards to the nested runtimes in zips...I actually used to agree with you. as I prefer having my own control over exactly how I wish to install. I never used to use the subfolders option either when unzipping. What has radically changed my view on this is that I honestly find it great now to be allowed a rapid preview of (often complex) downloads in Poser 5, without having to worry about my old finicky ways to install textures and geometry objects (with a bit of file editing). I'm still of course able to follow my own personal way of installing if I so choose to do so. But this way, I'm able to make my decision as to whether or not to install in just as long as it took me to unzip, and add a new runtime library.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.