Sat, Sep 21, 11:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 11:15 am)

Subject: Can Poser 4.0 render in the background???

Schunken ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2000 at 12:02 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 11:53 AM

Hello ! My problem is to get Poser 4.0 (PC-Version) to work in the background. When I does huge animation sometimes my computer is blocked for 5h or more... When I press the windows-button on my keyboard to work with another programm, poser will abort rendering and crashes... Is there a way to get poser work in the background? My system recources must be enough... (600MHZ Athlon and 256MB RAM, Swap file on HD is 1GB fix size)... Thanks! Andreas

Darth_Logice ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2000 at 12:12 PM

we have virtually the same setup and the only way you can do other stuff is if you don't minimize it. You can open new windows on top of it, but for god's sake don't minimize or your screwed. I don't think there's any workaround. -Darth

Grook ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2000 at 12:19 PM

Yes , Darth is correct. I have no problem running it "sort of" in the background by just opening things on top of it. But, it refuses to cooperate if you try to minimize it...if you can minimize it at all. I use the start bar or my office shortcut bar which usually stays on top of Poser when opened.

Pinto ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2000 at 3:38 PM

Huh? I minimize and render all the time and work in other programs, (albeit not very memory intensive ones). I've never had a problem. However, I am very sensitive to the performance of Poser and reboot my system often. P333/128 Pinto

ColtCentaur ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2000 at 6:23 PM

Yea that's a problem with Poser, but any other 3d app does pretty much the same thing. I just turn it on and goto bed myself, no need to watch the status bar like a dolt :) -Colt :)

Vethril ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2000 at 7:19 PM

The trick is to not minimize one window at a time. Go to the taskbar and select, "Minimize all windows". That will take all your windows down, and you can reselect any you are working in while poser renders and does movies. =)

dwilmes ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2000 at 8:04 PM

Isn't it amazing how the same program can react so differently on different systems using the same OS? Very weird. I can't minimize while it is rendering, but I can do anything else I want, opening windows on top of it. If it's a long render (not many of those for me), I go play Doom (yes, in DOS!) while its happening, hitting the Windows key every now and then to check on progress. Dan

SewerRat ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2000 at 9:33 PM

the windows key in doom is evil! because it jumps you out when you mean to hit ctrl and shoot the guy so it always happens just at the worst moments SewerRat

Grook ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2000 at 10:03 PM

you all still play doom? I play quake 3 while rendering =)

SewerRat ( ) posted Mon, 28 August 2000 at 8:37 AM

but doom is far superior for editing =) on account of the ingenious way it does actions and controls the monsters using the current frame that's showing =) SewerRat

Grook ( ) posted Mon, 28 August 2000 at 2:29 PM

I see.. =p Haven't tried rendering and doing Unreal yet...wonder if that will crash me?

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Mon, 28 August 2000 at 3:43 PM

I've never had any problems with Poser in the background (well, OK, I have run out of memory during some renders, but otherwise...). At home I run Windows 98 (SE, I THINK, but I'm not sure). At work I run on NT 4.5something. Both at 128 MB RAM. 400 mhz proc at work. I USED to run a 266 Celeron at home, but have a 550 PIII now. But then I rarely play games while rendering (if I do, it's something lame like Freecell, or something that uses the CD more than the hard drive, like Civilization II)... I often write or read e-mail during renders though... Usually I have two or three graphics apps open (PaintShop Pro, Poser, sometimes Bryce), a word processor (Word) and America On-line open with no problem...

stimpy ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2000 at 11:10 AM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.