Sat, Oct 5, 12:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 11:52 am)

Subject: Parenting and conforming

Riddokun ( ) posted Fri, 09 January 2004 at 8:09 PM ยท edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 12:37 PM

i have problems/wuestions about both... is a conformed figure automatically parented to the figure is it conformed ? (so far ferom what i saw, it was not)... i was using some z-toon technics and i saw that my character would flatten but not her cloths... Can a conformed figure be parented to the figure is it conforming to, or to another figure/prop in the scene, without loosing the conform thin ? i mean are parenting and conforming two mutlally excluding states ? I know that a parented figure in poser 4 will get same size modifications (z, x and y, or global scale) as its parent. I also had the problem when i was making the little doll in my voodoo picture, i had to rescale each cloth to same globval size as character body, but it was conformed though... strange

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2004 at 8:36 AM

Q: "is a conformed figure automatically parented to the figure is it conformed ?" A: No. A conformed figure is usually parented to the UNIVERSE. It seems that the conforming is implimented by a line in each actor "conformingTarget " where "" is the body part, and a line in the figure section "conforming 1".

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2004 at 9:10 AM

Q: "Can a conformed figure be parented to the figure is it conforming to..." A: Yes. Select part of the conformer, then from the menu bar; Figure>Set Figure Parent, then select the Body of the base figure as the parent.

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2004 at 9:16 AM

I think you should also be able to set the parent to a prop, so that if you parent the conformer and base figure to the same prop scaling the prop will scale both together, but it may be necessary to set all the rotations of the prop and the base figures BODY and hip to zero before doing this, otherwise the orientation of the scaling may not be as desired.

Riddokun ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2004 at 9:40 AM

i also tried today to parent the lights of my scene to a sphere primitive prop (i needed to mode the ligthings without miving all the figures) it did not work... Why ? only spots can do that? not infinite lights ? or do i need to parent lights to a figure and not a prop ? So if i understood what you say, parenting a "conformed" figure to something else wont "unconform" it from the thing it is conformed too... correct me if i am wrong

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2004 at 11:00 AM

Riddokun, to parent infinate lights to a prop, use the Light Controles to convert the lights to spotlights, parent them to the prop (or figure), then convert them back to infinate. "parenting a "conformed" figure to something else wont "unconform" it from the thing it is conformed to". That's right.

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2004 at 11:43 AM

You can use a pz2 to parent Poser 4's three default infinate LIGHT's to a box prop and turn the box invisible, copy the code below and save it to a pose folder with a pz2 file extention: { //ParInf.pz2, by Les Bentley. version { number } actor box_1 { off } light LIGHT1 { parent box_1 } light LIGHT2 { parent box_1 } light LIGHT3 { parent box_1 } } At least one figure must exist in the document for this to work. Now load a box prop, it must be the first box prop loaded otherwise it will not be called "box_1", now apply the pose file, the three default poser lights should now be parented to the box prop. To verify that this has worked select the box via the dropdown menu, yRotate it and watch the light controles. Note that the box is declared as an 'actor' not a 'prop', this is so that a pose can be applied to it without it needing a parent as would otherwise be the case.

shadownet ( ) posted Sat, 10 January 2004 at 12:12 PM

That looks useful. I think I will grab the script. :O) BTW, was it you or Nance who came up with a way to get the spotlight exra setting dials to work on an infitate light? I recall a thread but never had the time to play with it, but it seems to be being able to set angle and distance fallout would be useful on a infitate for things like lightbulbs since I would think you could use less number of lights to get the effect than all those spots. Just me rambling.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.