Fri, Sep 20, 1:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Anyone running CS3 on a G5?

PAGZone ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 9:30 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:52 PM

Hi, I was wondering, before I crack open the box on this G5, if any of you are running CS3 with a Mac G5? I guess I should have checked before I bought it, but well, I'm an impulse shopper, sorry to say. Anyway have you found any glitches or problems? Or is everything A.O.K? I know they say that the G5 is fully backwards compatible, but I don't believe that for a second... Thanks! Paul

rendererer ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 9:36 PM

I use Carrara at home on a G4, mostly, but I also installed it on my G5 at work, so I can render big animations more quickly if I need to. I have only played with it for about 2 hours there, but it runs nicely. It's a dual processor machine, and I can see both processors running when I render (the yellow render block with the "1" in it is joined by a red one with a "2" in it). So, not a lot of time under my belt, but certainly a positive experience so far. Certainly much MUCH faster than my G4.

PAGZone ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:47 PM

Cool thanks for the info. I am sure most apps run just fine, but there are a few that no longer function on a G5... regards, Paul

ralphh ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2004 at 8:55 AM

Virtual PC wouldn't run on a G5 because it uses a unique dual big-endian/ little-endian capability that IBM decided to remove from the G5. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Virtual PC was the only app affected.

-Ralph

hartcons ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2004 at 10:23 AM

I've read that some apps are having trouble coping with Panther (don't know about Carrara, though).

PAGZone ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 7:18 PM

Thanks, yeah I heard that about VPC, but according to MS the new version coming this summer will be fully optimized for G5. I have a P4 2.54Ghz pc for office stuff anyway. Well I was also waiting to open it to see if they released new models to the G5 today, but maybe tomorrow. Oh well my wifes new PowerBook works good. ;-) Regards, Paul

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.