Sun, Oct 6, 8:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: M2 Angel WIP

angelosity ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 2:03 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:07 AM

Here is my image as is now.

angelosity ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 2:06 PM

What I want to do next is expiriment with background like this Bryce 5 image!

angelosity ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 2:07 PM

My problem is when I delete my Vue4 ground plane this is what I get!

gebe ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 4:12 PM

file_89460.jpg

Don't delete the ground, give it the same color as the sky, if ever you want to have the clear horizontal stripe.

Otherwise tell me and I will send you by e-mail the sample scene looking like this one (you can add clouds to it).

iloco ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 7:01 PM

gebe would it be to much trouble to explain how to make a ground same color as sky for us that don't know how. :o) I would like to know and maybe some other newbies also. :o)

ïÏøçö

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 2:28 AM

Attached Link: http://www.guitta.net/beginners/sample.zip

My image from the previous post has the ground cut. Sometimes we need to do so. The sun comes from above. You will need to lighten the objects or figures you place in such a scene by spotlights with or without shadows.

You can download this little scene (for Vue 4.12, Vue 4.2 or Vue 4 Pro) at the link above and study especially the atmosphere editor. Everything is in there. You can add clouds if needed, cut or add more stars. Guitta guittalogo.GIF Tutorials for beginners

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 2:49 AM
  1. Select a uniform color for your sky in the atmosphere editor (only for standard atmospheres) and cut off all the clouds, bring fog and haze to "0". 2. Right-click the color window and select EDIT COLOR MAP 3. Double-click in the small window COURRENT COLOR, this will open the SELECT COLOR WINDOW (see image above). 4. Write down HUE, LUM, SAT and RED, GREEN, BLUE. Quit all the windows. 5. Select the ground with its default color. 6. Double-click in the samm color window at top right of your screen, this opens the material editor. 7. Right-click the small window that shows the default color and select edit Color map. 8. Past all the numbers you have written down into the respective fields. Now you have sky and ground the same color. You have to play around with the lights and the light colors. Hope this helps.

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 2:49 AM

sorry: "samm" means "small" :-)

seeklight ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 6:15 AM

all id av done is give the floor a mirrow mat and then move the figure and camera up so not to get his reflection in the floor seeklight

iloco ( ) posted Fri, 19 December 2003 at 8:41 AM

Thanks a lot gebe, Very helpful. Don't know about others but I like when questions are answered so I can save and put into a little notebook and save for future reference. Makes for very fast reference when needed. :o)

ïÏøçö

angelosity ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 2:54 PM

Thanks all, for so much help! I'm taking gebe's sample with me today! As close as I've come is with another Bryce trick I know. In Bryce5 you can add the Mirror material to the ground plane, and then move it down just a bit, and the whole sky gets mirrored. But with Vue I could only come as close as the polished silver material, have a look at the image above. Is there a mirror material, for Vue 4.12, anywhere?

gebe ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 3:11 AM

file_89461.jpg

Yes, mirror is in the BASICS :-)

angelosity ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 3:22 PM

Thanks, gebe! Have we sand? I just went to the backroom, but did'nt see an area to good materials archives, what do you recommend? = )

angelosity ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 3:26 PM

Can anyone tell me something about the materials that did'nt transfer from my poser file? His loin is usually white and with gold trim. With Bryce you can Ungroup the objects in a Poser character with the U button that pops up when you select the object.

gebe ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 3:38 PM

Sand? Just sand? There is sand as a material in Vue. To create real gold, select the material inside Vue by the material summary (not by the details in the world browser!!) and apply Vue's REAL gold from the Metals. The material summary shows ALL the materials used in your scene. You can open it in clicking at the small icon from the top menu that shows something like 3 decreasing spheres:-)

gebe ( ) posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 3:47 PM

file_89462.jpg

This icon:-)

angelosity ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 4:54 PM

gebe - You have been so very very helpful, your last post came in very handy last night! I've been toying with V4 for a couple days now and have a small list of things I ca'nt figure out how to do, would you care to help? 1.) I figured out how to replicate my Bryce5 scene. It is the same as Bryce, you can just apply the "Mirror" material to the ground! My trouble now is that my figure casts a shadow on the plane. How is this prevented? Is this technique similar to how I'd stop the figure from reflecting on the ground plane, now that I've applyed the mirror material? 2.) Rotating...I know this has something in regard with a Pivot Point, but I know not; how to change this, or how this effects any particular rotating control. 3.) What are those monsterous .bak files? 4.) Where is keyframing controled from? 5.) How is a camera.objects exact location found and changed numerically? 6.) Can Vue4 perform a Render Mask? 7.) What is a good 3rd party text to suppliment the manual? I usually recommend either vtc.com, or peachpit press, but it seems neither has much to do with Vue. I would sit down and read the manual cover to cover, but I find using a Forum this way is much more user friendly, and time saving because questions can be answered for more specific scenerios!

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 7:55 PM

file_89463.jpg

1. For comparison to Bryce I cannot be helpful, because I never had Bryce. But, if you take off the reflection from a mirror, it will not be any more a mirror, so it will not reflect any more the sky. In any case. Not in Vue and not in Bryce and not in real life. But if you incline the "mirror ground" a little you can avoid reflections in the render.

Personally I would not use this technic, but would use to incline the cam to the sky and work the entire image this way.

1. The pivot point (if necessary) can be changed the way the image shows above.

2. bak files: you can disable it, but if you are clever you will not, at least not if your computer space is large. I tell you why: Imagine that you have a problem while saving a Vue scene. Maybe a power cut or any thing else. If you have no *.bak file of your scene, you will loose all your work from 1 or 2 or 3 days or 1 weeks:-(. So keep bak files until you really have finished a scene completely. Then save your final scene forever and delete the bak files:-). In case of a problem, you always will be able to rename the latest bak file into a vue file (sample: scene.bak rename it into scene.vue) and you have not loosed EVERY thing :-)

3. Keyframing is for animation (Yes, you can create animations with Vue 3, Vue 4, Vue Pro :-)

4. If you really like to move your camera numerically, select the camera and click the numerics tab (see for pivot above).

5. Yes, of coures, you can render a scene as a color image, a deepth mask and an alpha mask. When you have finshed to render an image (even in the main camera vie'w, just look at all the icons you can click at top of the render window:-)

6. I'm really sorry, but I don't understand your question.

Now, to finish this: please understand that I have all my family for Christmas here, sons, grand children, wifes of my sons, ants, oncles and I'm terribly busy until 2th of January. So, my answers are a little short. But I would be very happy to help you better after these dates, if you don't mind.

Have a great Christmas, be happy, live your holydays. :-)
Regards,
Guitta

angelosity ( ) posted Wed, 24 December 2003 at 2:53 PM

gebe - Thanks, I do'nt even have time to read this now, just to say thanks again, and post this WIP of all this thread has helped me! My YMCA is closing for the holiday(In like 2 minutes...) So, I had to save this to floppy to bring home. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

angelosity ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2003 at 3:47 PM

I hope you enjoy this latest WIP! I'm having a few new problems. 1. How can we assign a specific color value to the son? 2. How do we get previews to save? 3. How are render masks made? 4. when i goto Render Options>Picture Size and Resolution>Aspect Ration>Free (user defined) nothing is available, why?

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 4:28 AM

file_89464.jpg

1. Do you mean "sun"? Then see the image above.

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 4:30 AM

file_89465.jpg

2. Do you mean the image rendered in preview mode? Click the cam.

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 4:31 AM
  1. What kind of a mask exactly please?

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 4:36 AM

file_89466.jpg

4. You must select "render to screen" or "render to disk" to make features become available.

angelosity ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2004 at 12:33 PM

file_89467.jpg

Thanks again gebe, your the best for this forum!

angelosity ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2004 at 12:34 PM

= )

angelosity ( ) posted Tue, 06 January 2004 at 1:05 PM

Thanks for the screenshot of the Atmosphere Editor! I was using the dropdown in what I think is known as the Materials Pallette, that goes up in the top right of the GUI(Next to where you note objects location. No I mean the file browser that comes up when you want to open a Vue4 file. Sometimes you can see previews of the file that is selected before you need to open them... I mean an Alpha Mask for compositing from within Photoshop. Thanks for the Render to Screen tip! Keyframes are another area I'm a bit lost at. I'm used to Poser and Bryce, they are so easy, I should expect Vue to not be to far behind, but I've not a grip on it. Another thing I'm stuck with is turning shadows off. I hope I do'nt need a new install, but I'll turn them off, click OK, open the dialog back up immediately, and find them turned back on! I found toggling down to 2% gets sticky enough to keep them off after about a half dozen tries, but there must be a simple explanation for this! I'm having trouble removing the shadows on his hips, from the belt. Though this scene actually has shadows turned off these still show? I've also found a flaw in the last WIP I ca'nt qiute think of how to fix. What is the horizon thickness known as. In Bryce it is your haze, but when I adjust this in this Vue4 scene only the lower(That wich is Mirrored by the ground plane) half of the horizon grows! And finally, gebe, where is that sand mat., I hav'nt found it yet.

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2004 at 2:41 AM

file_89469.jpg

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2004 at 2:48 AM

I've also found a flaw in the last WIP I ca'nt qiute think of how to fix. What is the horizon thickness known as. In Bryce it is your haze, but when I adjust this in this Vue4 scene only the lower(That wich is Mirrored by the ground plane) half of the horizon grows! Mirror is not a good idea, IMHO. I would aim the cam to the sky and place my figure there. Then add, if necessaryn a ground plane (Wanted a ground plane, that's not clear in your question.?)

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2004 at 2:50 AM

file_89470.jpg

When shadow it turned off, it should stay OFF!!!

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2004 at 2:52 AM

No I mean the file browser that comes up when you want to open a Vue4 file. Sometimes you can see previews of the file that is selected before you need to open them... Vue always shows a thumbnail of a Vue scene IF the scene has be rendered before saving it.

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2004 at 2:55 AM

file_89471.jpg

Alpha masks only shows up, if you use the alpha plane and then select your Alpha (composed in Photoshop or in any other soft). If this is not the answer you expected, plese explain more clearly:-).

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2004 at 2:57 AM

Keyframes are easy to use. You have several tutorials for animation in the Vue 4 User guide.

angelosity ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2004 at 6:21 PM

Ladies and Gentelmen...I give you "gebe!" The Fastest Screen-Shot In The West! Thanks man I really appreciate a person that can take the time to drop another such High Screen Real Estate! I know right where to look for so many things now, thanks again! I know right where you are refering when you say calm the sky, gebe, but just applying the mirror material to the ground plane is just such a quick fix to a sky with no infinite plane! Testify, gebe, I had to toggle at the shadows for like a whole day! That is all I need to do on my second PC, but my main PC wo'nt show previews even if I render before a save. OK good, you got to my Render Mask question again. I think this is very important, and that it will definatly increase my workload once we connect here. I should be able to select an item, or a group of items, and then a Render Option like Sketch to get the selected objects to render as plain white shapes on a plain black background! This render could then be; exported, imported into photoshop, selected of its entirity, and pasted onto a blank Alpha Channel, of the same scene rendered at Ultra. This way you have a very precise way of selecting only a certain object from a rendered image, you can then render the final image one object at a time, in order to more elaborately light a scene. This should especially handy removing the shadow from the ground plane, getting light to the wings, removing the hip shadows I mentioned, as well switching backgrounds! gebe - Thanks again for all you've put inot this thread so far! I have a really nice White and Blue Mirrored Angel Rendering right now, tomorrow I'll have a small pic as well as a link to an angelfire page with a much larger size, others, and some of the poser files I've been using! I'm not sure how game you may feel about my asking this, but I want you to keep returning to this thread, wich is why I've been cleaning out old WIPs, to keep your DL time low. If you need to do any of this for yourself, please feel free by me, I have all of them saved as archives on my HD and DVD-RAM. My grats. once more!

gebe ( ) posted Thu, 08 January 2004 at 1:51 AM

file_89472.jpg

*...Option like Sketch to get the selected objects to render as plain white shapes on a plain black background!* Have you got this one now? I mean an alpha of your image?

angelosity ( ) posted Fri, 09 January 2004 at 2:52 PM

Attached Link: http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/meneration

In appreciation to all of the help I've been recieving with Mike2 I've posted a small 1.44MB homage! Thanks again gebe! gebe, I got it last night, thank you very much! Have you noticed the ground plain fouling things up at all? Even when not selected it's presence seems to be causing the lower half of all my masks to render white! I'll be back again once I've a composite, of my chromeangel, to show!

angelosity ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 1:39 PM

file_89473.jpg

gebe - Here is what's going on when I remove the ground plane to render a mask. Any idea how to salvage more of this render by changing that blob of white to another color?

angelosity ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 2:16 PM

Anyone know how to change the names of things in the world browser?

gebe ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 2:37 PM

Click the name. Then click it again. Change the name and type enter on your keyboard. About the ground: Put your angel in the sky and aim the cam to it. Then you just will see the clouds and no more ground or whatever a ground was before (white)

angelosity ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2004 at 12:11 PM

gebe - I thought of a really important new idea yesturday! I've been thinking of how many images would beneifit from have a distinctive wetness of skin. How is this added to an object? Your the man! I know if anybody can answer this 1, 2, 3 it's you! Thanks again for all of your help! I think I understande what you mean by aiming the cam, but my angel is already 100 units in the air. Do you mean rotate at all?

gebe ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2004 at 12:37 PM

file_89474.jpg

All depends of the object I want to make look wet. See samples.

And yes, I meaned rotate all to make the angel sit in the sky. I use this very often for my images:-)

gebe ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2004 at 12:52 PM

file_89475.jpg

Or I create waterdrops in the ultra simple freeware called Teddy1 (see free software in the backroom) and apply it to objects, plants...

angelosity ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2004 at 5:28 PM

Just like the rock gebe, how was this accomplished? I think it definately adds a point of interest to viewing the rendered object! This is the object I'd like to test this with!

angelosity ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2004 at 5:30 PM

If it works here I may try it with the warmer render I have above.

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2004 at 2:49 AM

On the rocks, I have given 5% refectivity and 100% Global highlight intensity (in the material editor) I like the last one of your angels best:-)

angelosity ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2004 at 5:32 PM

file_89476.jpg

Much thanks again gebe! Would you please post some screenshots of how you put the wetness on the rock? I'll post what I got, when I tried selecting an object from the world browser and then right clicking up an edit material selection, from the top pallette, in my next post! I hope you enjoy this latest WIP. Currently I have a life size render underway for the past few nights, hope it's done soon!

angelosity ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2004 at 5:33 PM

file_89477.jpg

BTW - The font I used in the last pick was Abbadon. I currently working on my own to distribute and use freely!

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sun, 15 February 2004 at 6:01 PM

gebe - Still hoping for some screenshots of how you added wetness to those green rocks! In fact I'm just here to get the URL for another thread I'm starting on just this subject!

gebe ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2004 at 3:18 AM

file_89478.jpg

Oh sorry. I thought my description was clear. Here it is:-) Does this help? You might try a little more or less reflection. :-)Guitta

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2004 at 7:00 PM

file_89479.jpg

Awsome Guitta! I'm thiniking, maybe, this works nice on rough objects. I keep getting this heavy looking saturation, but at least it's something!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.