Sat, Oct 5, 10:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 9:59 am)

Subject: My poser is so slow

sekopasa ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2004 at 6:05 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 8:21 AM

I have computer with 64mb Nvidia Graphic Card, 512mb sdram, p4 1,7 cpu but poser 5 works very slow on my computer what would be the problem. I also use 3ds max and in that i use more complex objects but there is no proble do you have any comments for me!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2004 at 7:29 PM

How big and/or complex are the scenes you are rendering? Are you using Firefly? I haven't even touched Firefly on my P5 yet; still using the P4 renderer. However, the consensus is that Firefly can be painfully slow.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Becco_UK ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2004 at 8:36 PM

I use a custom built machine with a P4 2.4 and I find renders with lots of objects/lights/transparency maps(hair) to be slow. Just a Poser thing. The firefly renderer is slower, but can produce better final renders. Render complex scenes while you sleep!

sekopasa ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 5:54 AM

my scenes are very simple, i talk about in using, it can be realy painful to rotate, when i just added a hair prop.

Smitthms ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 6:47 AM

Hi sekopasa... what OS are you running ? Thomas Poser Coordinator

Becco_UK ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 6:58 AM

Not likely to be the graphics card - if I remember correctly Poser uses system memory and doesn't make use of graphic card memory. Check to see if you have unnecesary background programs running at the same time as Poser. There are object tracking options in Poser - try a different setting and see if that helps.

compiler ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 11:32 AM

It also depends on the figure you're working on : 512 Mb could be a little short if you're loading a Vicky 3 with all the morphs injected and try to pose her using full track mode.

Mason ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 12:57 PM
  1. Are you on XP? If so turn off the fancy menu system. Turn off menu shadows and round corners and smooth scrolling. Basically set XP up with speed performance turned on. 2. Try setting your bit depth to 16 bit. That seemed to work well for me. 3. P5 will be a bit slower than P4. Use fast preview render mode and perhaps smooth poly preview mode instead of textured mode. 4. Do not run over a networked drive, especially a drive remapped to another dir on your own computer. That will slow you down. 5. Poser can fill 512 megs pretty fast. I've had poser suck up 512 megs just loading Vicky 3 or she freak with all facial expression MTs. Maybe more ram. 6. Watch your texture memory use. I just want to choke these people who make those huge 4096x4096 skin textures with make up packs etc. Poser does not manage texture memory well. If you load a figure then do a New scene, the old texture are NOT dumped from ram but sit around. A 4096 x 4096 skin texture unpacked into ram is 4096x4096x4 (4 bytes per bit (32 bit assumed)) or 67,108,864*4 or 268,435,456 bytes! YEEEOCH! If its a 16 bit pic stored internally then thats 134,217,728 bytes. Better but when you're in the 100s of megs range it ain't pretty no matter how you slice it. Now add to that a seperate 4096x4096 lipstick map or eyeshadow map and you get the idea. Texture size goes up exponentially with dimemsion size, not linearly. So a 1024x1024 is 4 times larger than a 512x512, not twice as large. 2048x2048 is 16 times as large and so forth. Now poser maybe doing some kind of packed texture algorythm and either unpacking the texture when needed or running through the unpack as it goes. Both systems are slower than simply having the texture unpacked in ram. I'm betting poser just unpacks the whole thing flat in ram with no compression. Basically WATCH your texture use!!

sekopasa ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 3:57 PM

Thanks for your helps, i will try to simplize my XP

Huolong ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2004 at 9:31 AM

Biggest single reason for Poser5 to run slow is that texture files in many downloads, both free and sold, are not aligned properly with the library items they go with. Run CorrectReference, a free utility here, on all your library items. CR will optimise the linkages and identify any missing files.

Gordon

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.