Sat, Oct 5, 6:10 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 5:47 am)

Subject: Starts today: Humorous Poser Survivor Scene Contest. ;-)

Shoshanna ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2004 at 6:57 PM · edited Thu, 22 August 2024 at 8:58 AM

Fancy a chance to win e-ons Vue d'Esprit4, Mover4 or 50% off e-on software and have some fun at the same time? Just follow the link at the top of the forum to the Humorous Poser Survivor Scene Contest. The Challenge: Create the most humorous "Survivor" scene! There must be at least 2 characters, created and rendered using Poser and the scene must be located outdoors. Postwork, imported models, backgrounds etc are allowed. The artistic aspect of your submitted entry is more important than the technical. Our contest sponsers e-on software have offered some generous prizes to the winners, so get to it and see if you can show us the funniest poser survivors! The contest will run from February 1st to the February 29th 2004, e-on software will judge the entries and the winners will be announced on the 8th of March. PRIZES: First Prize: 1 copy of Vue d'Esprit 4 Second Prize: 1 copy of Mover 4 Third Prize: 1 voucher for 50% off on any purchase of e-onsoftware's on-line store Full details on the contest page. Please direct any questions to the contest managers or here in this thread. Enjoy :-)

Shoshanna ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2004 at 7:10 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/contest.ez?contest_id=294

Here's the link straight to the contest page.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2004 at 11:21 PM

I'm going to raise the same objection to the rules as I've raised in the past. Most Renderosity contests have now been modified... why are we repeating history? The problem sentence is this: "By uploading your image you are giving permission to Renderosity and e-on software for the use of the images for an undetermined period of time." This is TOO vague. It grants to Eon and Renderosity ALL rights to use our images for as long as you want and for any purpose you want, without limitation, merely for uploading an image. The next line saying that we remain intellectual copyright holders means nothing if we grant you unlimited rights. I can hunt down and post the links to the earlier threads, which got pretty nasty as I recall, but it ought not to be necessary. Why don't you look at current contests where the rules regarding copyrights were modified in a reasonable compromise? Saying that winners give you the rights to show the work in a contest archive, or that winners grant you the right to display the image for promotional purposes (tradeshows and websites) for x years, or other reasonable grant of rights is fine. Granting you all rights to all entries for any use forever and ever is not fine. This does sound like a fun contest, with excellent prizes. But anybody who cares about their copyrights is going to shudder at the expansive vagueness. Carolly

Shoshanna ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2004 at 11:40 PM

Fair enough Carolly, but I did not decide the competition rules so I can't just change them. I will however raise your objection with the competition managers and post any feedback I get in this thread. Shoshanna

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 9:08 AM

Contests that demand that the entries become the property of the sponsors are sleazy ways to reduce advertising budgets. Legitimate contests merely claim first printing of the winners, to allow them to publicize the results. Or they offer prizes equal in value to the entry. And they do NOT confiscate the rights on the entries of contestants that don't win and therefore get nothing. Anybody who wants your stuff for free has told you how much they value you, folk. I'll pass. M

Spike ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 3:13 PM

We forgot to add something to that contest. It will get changed soon to include that the artist will remain the copyright holder.

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 7:24 PM

OK, thanks! Vagueness can lead to misunderstandings and hurt feelings and lawsuits... all of which can be avoided by choosing the proper words in advance. Carolly

numanoid ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 8:44 PM

Mmmm, I am at a slight disadvantage. I assume that Survivor is an American TV show? Does the actual image have to reference the TV show, or just your own interpretation of Survivor. I haven't watched or owned a TV in 12 years (by choice), but I would like to enter. I am sure there are other people that also don't watch TV (or am I the only one) or people in coutries where Survivor isn't shown on TV.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 11:36 PM

Numanoid,

I haven't owned a TV, and maybe 3-4 times a year go to a friend's house to watch some special. About 30 years now. :) Give me a book and a cat anyday!

However, I do know a bit about what is happening with commercial TV programming.

AFAIK, "Survivor" was a series where 16 people were placed in an isolated setting, such as an island, where they not only had to survive the rigors of the environment (alligators, spiders, hunger) but also undergo tests and feats devised by the sadistic producers, as well as mindgames and politicing by the others. Each week there was a tribal council where somebody would get voted off the show by the group. Extremely cruel, and extremely popular. The kiddie playground was never this savage (well, maybe it was, it just didn't get syndicated).

The candidates were chosen for their likely entertainment value (sound bites) as well as any photogenic qualities (somebody has to look good in a skimpy bikini). IIRC, the winner of the first one was a self-confidant nudist. None of them were Hollywood-styled glamorous actors.

There have been several imitators in the so-called "reality show" arena.

For something like this, the artist would need to take an extreme environment: jungle, lavafield, a platform on the space station (one of the producers actually was negotiating with The Mir for rights to film a series on board), and drop a couple of people into the scene trying to tough it out while looking good for the camera. I suspect that one of them should look like a winner... if they all look like losers, it might be real, but it wouldn't be funny.

Carolly

numanoid ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 12:13 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I'll see if humour descends on me in the next couple of days. Everything else is easy, it's the "funny" bit that I find hard.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 5:41 AM

Hmm.. Hauk.. I do have a TV. Watches it occasionally but rarely. Danish TV DOES show Survivor (called Robinson here) but I have so far deliberately chosen NOT to watch that program for exactely those reasons you give for SHOWING such program in the first place :o( Programs like that - including "The weakest Link" which also seems to be immensely propular - leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Apparently it is "fun" to watch other people get dumped. I do like quiz shows, I did participate in Jeopardy once, some years back, but these are shows where it's your own "fault" (by lack of knowledge) if you loose, and not just becourse someone else doesn't like you. Hmm... Now to think of something FUNNY in relationship with Survivor.. That's a challenge :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Caly ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 9:53 AM

I never could abide Weakest Link, but I have found Survivor entertaining. Some of the challenges are literally putting puzzle pieces together, or seeing how many words you can make out of a certain set of letters, or seeing if you remember the history they told you about the area you're in... If you win certain challenges u can not be voted out. There have been 7 winners I think, and they're not all gorgeous. :) Tina Richard Sandra Ethan Vecepia Brian Jenna

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 12:04 PM

Carefull... we're drifting off topic here... twitches and looks over her shoulder

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

numanoid ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 6:40 PM

Nope, this is not off topic. We are discussing Survivor, the basis of the contest, and trying to find a humourous angle to a TV program that sounds to me like a live version of "Lord of the Flies" by William Holden, most probably one of the most disturbing books I ever read. PS. I never look over my shoulder, because I always keep my back to the wall in here, so that I can see the monsters when they come.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 10:28 PM

Well, it also doesn't specify that the contestants have to be normal real everyday people. :wide evil grin: You've all probably seen Bambi vs Godzilla or any of the various monster sequels: Dracula vs The Thing from Below or Werewolf vs The Mummy. Can you imagine a nice ruinous hilltop choked with rubble and all the movie monsters voting to see which of them is least popular? Carolly

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 10:37 PM

Because I'm every bit as boring as my reputation, "Lord of the Flies" was written by William Golding. I have Vue d'Esprit4 - it's a nice prize, indeed. It will be interesting to see how the theme is developed. I never was good at creating humorous scenes but that is because I don't have a sense of humor, as I am often told here. (I do like the idea of the monster version of "Survivor," though. I bet on Godzilla, because he has such bad breath.) Take care all. And good luck!!

numanoid ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 10:58 PM

My apologies. It was William Golding. I always say Holden because my first flat mate was named William Holden, and I think our relationship deteriorated into a Lord of the Flies scenario, so I always get them confused. Does Eddie Murphy count as a movie monster? Or is that just me that finds him scary?

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 11:00 PM

Attached Link: http://www.teemings.com/extras/lotr/s/survivor.html

Guess what just showed up in my email? A link to a Tolkien version of Survivor!!! (Well actually it was to the lawsuit Sauron filed against Frodo and Sam, but further reading uncovered this jewel.) Carolly

numanoid ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 11:08 PM

Lol, that is brilliant.

hipchick ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2004 at 8:39 PM

Just want to clarify, to enter the contest, the theme is to create a survivor like image that is humorous???
I'm torn, I want to win first prize, but I don't watch Survivor because I think the show sucks. When the orginal show came out a few years ago, I actually thought it was about a show were people try to survive using their instincts to hunt for food, water, shelter etc. But it's actually a show that has people backstabbing each other to win a game. Which I don't find anything entertaining or humorous about that. So could someone give another example of a possible scene or explain in more detail? Is it anything outdoors, could it be on the moon like that story about the producer and the MIR, that could be humorous.

Resources for Artists

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.