Sat, Sep 21, 6:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Poll: What system do you run your poser on?

MistDragon ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 12:51 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:53 AM

What are your system specs? Have you ever run into any problems rendering a hi-rez texture? I'm seriously contemplating upgraing my 2500 MHZ CPU, 512 RAM with a 62 MEG GeForce4 .. cos .. I can't render anything that looks good. It always locks up. How frustrating. Any suggestions for upgrades?

MISTDRAGON

texboy ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 12:56 PM

Mac G4 (1.25 GHz PowerLogix), OS X 10.3.2, 1 GB RAM, never locks up or fails to please. Buy a Mac!

Rance01 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 1:30 PM

IBM ThinkPad, Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MG RAM, ATI card with only 16 Vid RAM, running Windows 2000 Pro. I use both Poser 4 ProPack and Poser 5 and don't seem to have too many problems. Don't know what you mean when you say, rendering hi-rez texture. I picked up the StefyZZ Yuma and though the software hangs a bit right after selecting those texture MATs if frees within a moment or two and I've never had any trouble rendering images. Using Raytracing settings in P5 is a bit slow but the process does finish eventually. Hope this helps, Rnce

Engel47 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 1:42 PM

Using Poser 5 - Intel Celeron, 1999MHz, Poser is on its own 120GB drive. Memory - 512MB RAM - Windows XP. No serious problems other than Firefly being a bit slow to render.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 1:44 PM

Intel Dual Xeon 2.66GHz, Windows XP Pro, 2GB RAM. e-Mac 1GHz G4, OS X 10.3.2, 768MB RAM. Bought a Mac! ;) Poser 4/PP/5 all run well on each system. My only problem is when textures cannot be found. This is a known issue in Poser 5. Graphics card really doesn't have any effect on rendering. Check that you have set your Maximum Texture Resolution if using Firefly renderer in Poser 5. Poser 5 also "likes" textures to be powers of 2 (...,128, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, ...), but I thought that this issue was resolved in one of the Service Releases.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 1:56 PM

A new graphics card won't help. Poser doesn't take advantage of video RAM, unfortunately. Your money would be better spent on more system RAM or a bigger hard drive. My system: 2.8 GHz Pentium, 1.5 Gb RAM. Yes, I do sometimes have trouble rendering very large textures, if there are a lot of them. (Neftis' hair, for example.) I think that is endemic to Firefly. But I wouldn't say I can't render anything that looks good. I'm pretty happy with Firefly, actually.

artbyphil ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 2:13 PM

windows XP pro, 2.4 athalon, 768 meg ram, gforce 2 pro 64 meg graphics. using P4. seems to run ok for me.

Triarius ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 2:15 PM

Mac G4 733Mhz, 1.12Gb RAM, OS 10.3.2. Noworries! (a little slow, but this is an older, slower processor.) Buy a Mac! (fast, with lots of memory and a big HD)

MistDragon ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 2:19 PM

hmm .. okay well my system is about 6 months old, and in order or render anything, I have to take the side off and run a household fan into it or, I'll overheat and shut down. When I try to render say, Daz's Aspen, English Ivy or my newly acquired Miss April (esentially the only textures I have, LOL) it will hang, and not render. I've left it for hours to see what would happen, and it still didn't render it. If I take the texture down to around 1500 x 1500 pixels, it will often render, but I'll lose a lot of detailing. It's really frustrating! Someone here suggested upgrading to WinXP, which I will likely do as well, once I get all my files backed up onto CD. Oh, and also, I'm only using Poser 4, with pro pack installed. I have the latest service packs installed as well. I'm currently running Windows 98SE. I find if I shut down the computer and reboot it without anything running in the background, I have about a 50% chance of a render going through. I'm also virus free (updated often, scanned daily, and shielded) so I don't think that's it.

MISTDRAGON

ockham ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 2:33 PM

Definitely switch to XP before doing anything more expensive. Poser gets along with XP ---MUCH--- better than with 98!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 2:34 PM

Custom built PC, Athlon XP 1600 + 1GB RAM, 48GB fixed SCSI HD, 120GB removeable IDE HD, Windows XP Home, Poser 5. Reasonably fast, very stable system.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 2:34 PM

'I'm currently running Windows 98SE' Don't! You're running a 6 month-old computer with a 10 year-old OS. Get windows 2000 or XP. There's nothing at all wrong with your computer specs. Conclusion? It must be the OS. If you need to take the side off and run a fan, there's something far wrong. mac

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 2:35 PM

PS I ran poser for 4 years on an 800Mhz / 256 RAM with windows 2000. No particular problems, other than the usual poser gremlins. mac

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 2:44 PM

I have to take the side off and run a household fan into it or, I'll overheat and shut down. Take the computer back to where you bought it and demand your money back.

FishNose ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 3:44 PM

Get more RAM - 1 Gig is great. Avoid Win98SE AT ALL COSTS!!!!!! Get Win2K or XP. :] Fish

FishNose ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 3:52 PM

Oh - and about the overheating: That is very serious stuff. Most likely you have a power supply with undimensioned fan(s). Get a new PSU! It'll cost you maybe 70 bucks for a good one (look at tomshardware.com or similar site for tests and advice) and buy a new powerful PSU, preferably overdimensioned. Like 430 Watt or so. I have a 2,53 Gig Intel system with 5 hard disks. Only way to run it is to have a VERY powerful PSU and a total of 8 fans: 2 in PSU 1 fan w copper heatsink on CPU 1 on bridge 1 on graphics card 1 on back of chassis 2 on front of chassis - blowing directly on hard disks. By using high quality parts I keep the noise down to a fair level. Believe me, fans are critical!!! Heat is the main reason people's hard disks fail, for instance. Ad of course CPU's too. With 4 machines and a total of 12 hard disks, I've never lost a byte yet. Touch wood lol! Of course, I backup too, occasionally.... :] Fish

zorares ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 3:55 PM

Hardware Overview: Machine Model: Power Mac G5 CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2) Number Of CPUs: 2 CPU Speed: 2 GHz L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB Memory: 2 GB Bus Speed: 1 GHz Boot ROM Version: 5.07f0 Serial Number: XB344093NVB Running OSX 1.3.2 and Poser 5 Super fast and never locks up!

http://schuetzenpowder.com/sigs.jpg

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 4:24 PM

Poser 5 Win XP Home 2GHz Processor 64m video card 512Mb Ram 80Gig harddrive No complaints so far. Considering doubling my ram.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Berserga ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 4:49 PM

Just bought a new comp from ABS computers: 3ghz P4 with 2 gigs of corsair ram and 120 gig HDx2 (Raid 0) I just cannot BELIEVE how fast it renders in P5 compared to my Dell 1.9ghz P4 with 256 megs ram.

FreeJack ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 5:07 PM

Here goes: ASUS P4S533 Celeron 1.7 GHz WinXP Home 512MB RAM 120GB 7200 RPM ATA133 HD (yes, I know paying for ATA133 is a waste) 17GB ATA100 HD (backup Poser content) Liquid smooth performance, running and rendering. I use to have Win98SE too, and it rarely rendered anything, and crashed almost always. I'm surprised I actually got the renders I did out of it. Mistdragon, if you want to avoid burning everything to CD, get a new hard drive and do a full clean install of XP. That way, once you reinstall poser on the new drive, you can pick what to either copy over to the new OS/Drive (if you have a gigantic runtime) or reinstall - instead of all that backing up. Jack

Barbarellany ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 5:48 PM

G3 iMac 500mhz with 768 mb using Pro Pack on OS 9.2.2. Very rarly hangs and at that, not during renders.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 6:46 PM

AMD 2.4, 2 40Gb drives, 764mbRam, 128 vid card, xpHome. A toy to some of you, but works well with P5.

pierrecolat ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 6:54 PM

Intel Celeron 333 2 gig hard drive 64meg RAM. Now you know why I only do nudes:) I have a Mac G4 dual 1.25 GHz 1 GB RAM but only use that for Final cut pro and Adobe after FX.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 7:17 PM

Homebuilt, Amd 2k chip, Asus system board, 1 40 gig, 1 80 gig drive, HP CD burner, CD rom, 1.44, 512 meg memory..Win 2k as the OS..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

soulhuntre ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 7:46 PM

Attached Link: http://www.maingear.com

Pentium 4 with hyperthreading at 2.8 ghz 1 gig corsair memory 3 160+ gig drives and so on (DVD writer, sound etc. etc. etc.) Poser is super smooth. And Max will use the HT so it is a great deal. Wouldn't buy a machien without HT from now on.

Helen ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 8:27 PM

file_96933.jpg

Not silly enough to leave the serial number ;) I did have XP Professional on my old pc. This PC came with the home edition so I just left it.

Helen

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Senior MarketPlace Tester

If anyone sees a mind wandering aimlessly around..... It is mine.  I want it back.

ariannah ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 11:33 PM

G4 titanium powerbook, 800mhz, 1 gig ram, running OSX 10.3.2. Using Poser 5 and running very smoothly!

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

squid69 ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 12:32 AM

XP Pro is the way to go. Used Poser 5 for a while but I have noticed it is heavier on system resources than Pro Pack, which I prefer and currently use with Lightwave 7.5 Using VAIO laptop, P3 1gHz, 512mb RAM, 40gb HDD to create scenes, using 2 machines to render; both are Athlon 2.1gHz, one has 512mb RAM and one 120gb HDD the other has 1gb RAM and two 120gb HDD.

eggi ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 12:44 AM

MAC G4 867 MHz 1 GB RAM OSX 10.3.2 Buy a Mac ;-)

igohigh ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 1:07 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1410910

I use one of those new fangled TV like things, from MegloMart... Jim Burton did a nice Bench Mark test a while back, you can find his results here: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1410910 (a few more threads back and you can find a maylay of configs everyone was posting...)

Tintifax ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 1:41 AM

Custom built PC, Athlon XP 2100 + 1GB RAM, 80GB + 160GB ATA133 HD, Windows XP Pro, Poser 4 & 5. Fast and stable. Didn't have a crash until yet. Have to admit that I didn't render really large pictures with Poser 5.

Sydney_Andrews ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 3:29 AM

Poser 4.3 AMD Athalon 1800, Windows XP Pro, 512 ram. ...and i just bought a Mac. Dual G4, 1 Gig Ram, 80 gig hd, superdrive. It will be at my door Monday!

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 3:30 AM

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 512MB SDRAM GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 120GB hard drive Windows XP (Home Edition) Running Pro Pack and P5, and they both work much better under XP than my previous OS, Win98 (First Edition). The improved memory management allows me to render longer animations and more complex scenes without locking, crashing, or aborting. I'll invest in additional memory soon, but I probably won't upgrade the processor and motherboard for another year or two. I'd like my next CPU to be 4GHz (or its equivalent), and I expect it'll be a while before one of those is both available and affordable.

Sydney_Andrews ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 3:38 AM

file_96934.jpg

Oh yea, and my iBook (I really gotta get more RAM for this thing)

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 3:43 AM

I'm going to suggest searching your runtime for files marked as "shadow.tmp.light" or somehting similar to that, and if you find any, delete them. Also, make sure your VM setting provide at least a GB of space, and preferably more. As for my system, I've managed to connect myself using aligator clips, string from an old kite, and a pair of sunglasses I stole from the intern before I stuffed him under my cot. Works great!

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

DarkMatter_ ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 4:15 AM

CPU ID : F27 Brand ID : 9 Revision : C1 Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz Codename : Northwood Technology : 0.13 General Information : Real Frequency : 2398.9 MHz Multiplier : 18x Low/High Multiplier : 18x / 18x Overclock Locked : Yes Front Side Bus Information : Front Side Bus Speed : 133.3 MHz Bus Speed : 533.1 MHz (QDR) Initial Frequencies : Frequency : 2400 MHz Front Side Bus Speed : 133 MHz Processor Performance Information : Throttle Mode AC : None Throttle Mode DC : Adaptive Current Configuration : None Throttle : 2398 MHz

DarkMatter_ ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 5:37 AM

Windows XP PRO Information : Model : GeForce4 MX 440 [NV17.2] Bus Type : AGP Manufacturer : NVIDIA Total Memory : 64 Mb Texture Memory : 123 Mb Processor : GeForce4 MX 440 Converter : Integrated RAMDAC Refresh Rate (min/max) : 59/75 Hz GPU Information : CodeName : NV17 Bus : 128 bits Memory Type : DDR-SDRAM GPU Frequency : 249.75 MHz Memory Bus Speed : 2 x 333 MHz (200MHz initial) Memory Bandwidth : 5328 Mb/s

Caly ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 9:18 AM

file_96937.jpg

I used to run Poser 4 on a 400mhz G4 with about 800RAM. V3 worked OK, things were just a bit slow. Now I owe $ but have a G5 that's pretty durn fast. :D

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

fido13 ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 12:31 PM

I'm currently running a 2.4gig P4 with 200gig HD and 1gig RAM. Graphics card is an All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500DV with 128mb on board. OS is Windows XP Pro SP1. If Poser supported network rendering, I'd also have access to several additional 1gig P4's. :-(

begga ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 1:09 PM

Dell Dimension 4550 Pentium (R)4 2.66GHz 1 GB of RAM 200 GB of HD Windows XP Pro Poser 5 Works well... :

sandoppe ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 6:38 PM

While I am also considering a new machine, my current one is a 1.7ghz PIV with 512 DDR Ram. One 40 Gig harddrive (not nearly big enough!!) Nvidia GEForce 2 MX 200 with only 32 mb ram! XP Pro. I have Poser 5. It's a bit slow, but I can create and render just about anything. With Poser the system ram is most important.....followed by the processor. As stated, the Video card does not matter with Poser, but does with DAZ studio and Vue. I'm also considering just updating my ram. I just noticed your comment about taking the side panel off and agree with the comments about power supply and fan. The design of the case can also create overheating. Don't know where you got your computer, but I would guess it was built from scratch? I really agree with most of what Fishnose says....although I'm not sure you need that many fans or even that large of a PSU to combat overheating. The quality of whatever you get is critical. For instance, steer clear of those plastic fans!! I've burned up more of those suckers than I can count. And get a top quality PSU.....not a cheap one.... and check to be sure it will handle the Processor and other hardware. Personally I would rather pay a few hundred dollars extra and know I have top quality stuff. The PSU, the quality of the fans, the quality of the case.....all of these are as important as the motherboard and processor.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Fri, 06 February 2004 at 11:58 AM

My current system rocks! 2.8 Ghz Intel P4 Win 2K Asus P4C800-E Motherboard 2 GB Corsair TwinX matched memory 2 x 80GB Raid 0 HDs, plus 1 x 120 GB "backup" HD ATI 8800 FireGL Video card (for Max, really) 21" Philips monitor Poser 4, PP, 5 (mostly use 4) Plus my "old" computer (AMD 1.4) is networked to it and accessable via a KMV switch. Biggest advantage the Intel chips have over the AMD ones is they run a lot cooler, I can't hardly stand listening to the noise of th efans in my old box, anymore. AMDs might be faster in Poser though, dollar for dollar. Macs don't do very well dollar for dollar, either, but I used to like the O.S better when I had one on my desk... ;-)

TT ( ) posted Sat, 07 February 2004 at 10:12 AM

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
1,00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce MX 100/200
80 GB hard drive
Windows XP Pro

"I like my species the way it is."

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.