Thu, Sep 19, 10:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: V3 and M3 and the insane file size issue

Yunas_Guardian ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 10:48 AM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 8:56 PM

Howdy. You know how if you load all face and body morphs onto V3 or M3 and save it the Poser file is like 120 megs? The heck is up with that? I've always compressed my stuff when I am finished with it and it can compress most Poser files by anywhere from 50-75%. That tells me Daz could've done a better job programming them, but that's not the issue at the moment. :P Has anyone figured out any technique to reduce file sizes besides compression? Is there a way to unload all the morphs except ones that are used (quicker than one by one by one)? If you load all the morphs for V3/M3 and then pose them will they remain the same if you unload all the morphs? Agh! I'm just curious because I have this scene I'm trying to do with three V3s and Poser is wiggin' out when I try to render it and the file size is like 440 megs. Anything related to this issue would be useful. It's the first time I've really encountered a problem that I could not get around one way or another. Thanks, and Ciao! Man, my P4 directory is 26 gigs and over 106,500 files. That just ain't right.

Simderella ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 10:57 AM

umm.. most people only inj the morphs that they will use, the ones you don't use REM them.. easy as that.. most of my V3 characters are lighter than V2.

My Gallery

Yunas_Guardian ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 11:09 AM

I have a separate figure saved in the Daz People library with all the morphs loaded. I read that somewhere in a Daz tutorial for V3 which is why. I took all the INJ/REM out of my poses folder because they took up so much space. Also, I never know what morphs I'll be using. :P V3 lighter than V2? Ack. lol.

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 11:11 AM

Actually, the INJ/REM system was developed so that file size could be reduced. The idea was not to inject all the body morphs -- only the ones you needed to accomplish the specific change. The morphs themselves can't be compressed for loading, as for some strange reason Poser won't load a morph from a zip file. Otherwise, the morphs are compressed -- they are pretty much as small as they can get. the 3rd gen figures are just a lot bigger in file size. That means that morphs wil be as well. It's terrible, but it's sorta the price of having the more realistic movement of the figure. The only thing I've found to actually help is to enable file and folder compression in the OS (windows 2k or XP), but the downside is that everything does load a tiny bit slower, and it's fairly usless is you have compression enabled for Poser already. P4 alone just doesn't really have much that you can do beyond that.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Mason ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 11:34 AM

I actually use magnets nearly 90% of the time instead of FBMs. Wyrmaster's great Veronica Vixxxen and other setups are a huge memory saver. I can get my figures back down to around 15 megs with the magnets. I still have to put in facial expressions but this is a big help.

Jackson ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 11:38 AM

file_98215.jpg

Actually, the V3 cr2 is just over 2 megs while V2's cr2 is 21.8 megs. Of course, the v3 file doesn't have any morphs injected. Here's a comparison I did of the two figures. I'd injected enough morphs into v3 to be able to change her figure, facial features, and expressions. The saved cr2 came to a little over 7 megs I think. You can see in the pic it took three V3s to get to the size of one V2.

Jackson ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 11:50 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Dang, I forgot the nudity flag. Sorry.

FishNose ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 12:12 PM

Besides - the people who originally created the standard for cr2 files and pz3's had NO idea that the figures used one day in the distant future (ie now) wopuld be so enormous in poly count. And that is one of the excellent things about P5 - being the latest version, it in fact takes care of this and compresses internally. So - either don't inject everything, or do and then rem the MTs you don't actually use - or get P5 - or otherwise just get used to it. Vicki2 is just fine as figures go, and is highly suitable for use in P4. So that's another alternative. And the last alternative is - one of the solutions I use to tame my enormous Gig count in Poser stuff - to get a really big harddisk. After all, 100 gigs will cost you about $100 these days. I remember the days in the mid-to-late 80s when a 150MB harddisk (yes, MegaByte) cost you about $1500. So things sure have changed :o) :] Fish

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 12:22 PM

Ah heck -- My first gig disk ran me 2 grand!

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

kaposer ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 12:26 PM

You can also make packs with your fauvorites morphs, export them toguether, and use on the base V3, since u dont need all the morphs to make a render:S, i.e. i get a face+expression with full V3, export it (about5 mega), and use later on the basic V3....Some of my V3 are 3,5 meg!!

MyFreestuff    My Store

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 1:30 PM

Save the CR2, run it through Injection Pose Builder, and then use the resulting INJ pose on an empty V3. You can then save it over the saved-with-all-morphs version of the character.

Yunas_Guardian ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 1:57 PM

Sounds like I'm nuts. lmao. I guess I have some work to do. I guess I'll put the INJ/REM folders back in use except in the Camera folder. That's where I keep S3 and Freak stuffs anyway. One thing that occured to me is if I remove a certain morph and a character requires/uses it will the INJ pose add it to the figure? I am not sure and I remember Daz being all uppity about how V3 characters and morph were distributed a while back.

steveshanks ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 2:07 PM

Just a thought here, if you create a V3 figure you like you could export the obj (zero it first) and call it blMilWom_v3-my version.obj then hack the V3 blank cr2 to point to this obj and save as V3 my version.cr2 or whatever, then you have a nice small file size model to work with....no morphs of course, you need to be sure you like her shape before you export...well it was a thought ;o)......Steve

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 2:09 PM

The whole point of INJ poses is to add the morph to the figure. If you want to distribute a figure you have to use either an INJ pose or a regular pose (that is, a regular MOR pose) and tell the user which morphs to inject before using it. You don't need to have the !V3 folders in your pose library to use INJ poses, just the !DAZ folder that sits in the Libraries folder: I've kept the INJ/REM All and Expression folders and moved everything else into a separate folder from whence I can rescue individual INJ poses as needed.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 2:12 PM

Steve - you can also just spawn new morphs for each body part, set them to 1 and create a new Full Body Morph, then remove the original INJ morphs. That also eliminated cross talk (but can't be distributed, so keep a pose of the dial settings too).

Yunas_Guardian ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 2:29 PM

I'm trying to figure out which is more practical for me. I just used the INJ poses to inject the morphs I've been known to play with and it took the figure from 120 to 35 megs. It's between using that figure or injecting everything when I need it. Hmm hmm hmm..maybe just a V3 with all expressions? Oh well. I am trying to figure out if I should go back through all my saved files and edit them, but that'd take a while. I'd prolly free a few gigs, though. Man, I feel like an idiot. Baka Chris, baka!

whoopdat ( ) posted Thu, 12 February 2004 at 3:58 PM

Have you tried the dial cleaner from DAZ? I don't have a link handy, but it's on their site. It's useful for P5 since it reads all of the morphs regardless of them being injected or not, but it might also help remove some excess size from the files.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2004 at 6:48 AM

All dial cleaner does is hide the empty ("-") morphs that Poser insists on making visible when it saves a CR2 or PZ3 file. Nothing is taken out, and any channels that have been injected (and have a proper name) should remain visible.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2004 at 3:19 PM

Also, remember that you can save your scene files as .PZZ's. That is a HUGE disk saver :) HINT: If you use the windows "compressed folder" feature for your runtime (back it up first) the size comes way down and if your mahcine is fast the spead isn't bad at all.

Yunas_Guardian ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2004 at 12:27 PM

Well, everyone's help has been very useful. I've been spending the last few days worth of free time going back and refreshing my old V3/M3 renders with this new knowledge. It's cut every archive since by around 60%. Sometimes more. Thanks to everyone!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.