Tue, Oct 22, 10:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: No more posts

amethyss ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 1:23 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:08 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=613646&Start=19&Sectionid=0&filter_genre_id=0&WhatsN

I will be not posting under the name amethyss anymore. The new name will be dBgrafix,as too many people think amethyss is a girls name LOL. No this doesnt mean I am cloning myself secretly to do votes either. I really do not care about hot 20 anyway. I will leave the gallery and some freestuff for a bit until my other website is complete. Hoping I can keep my webring status,as I did climb fairly high up the ring. My first post is the link here in case anyone is interested. I guess it's like new PC,new name ,new website. Makes sense,right?

Here is what amethyss does mean.

Amethyst is the purple variety of quartz,
and is a popular gemstone.
The name "Amethyst" or "Amethistos" comes from the Greek,
and means "not drunken".
In ancient Greek times
it was believed that to carry a piece of this gemstone,it would ward off
the effects of alcohol.
Also , my birthstone-
Hence the name "Amethyss"

Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic_____website

amethyss ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 1:32 AM

... to Agent Smith if you want ,I can resubmit my contest image under my new name.Maybe you will read this and I wont bug you with an IM.

Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic_____website

Zhann ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 1:38 AM

Well, Hello dBgrafix, being a rock collector I knew what amethyst was, but yeah, I imagine some thought you were a female...and so, things change, although I never get tried of being called 'dude' and 'man', being in a company(long ago) where my male colleagues would take credit for my work, does put a certain light on gender though...

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

erosiaart ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 2:24 AM

Lol.. I had a helluva time once at a newspaper office... was co-ordinating a youth mag with someone who was working from another city. I read their name wrongly..assumed that he/she was a female ..and well.. added all the xtra girly stuff.. u know what i mean.. went shopping here..saw this, saw that, body nitemares, bitched about guys..etc, etc, etc...along with my work notes. Most of our work was thru inter-office mail. Called up one day, asked for her..and HE said it was him. I died an embarrasing death then. dBgrafix..hope you had a lovely rebirth.. renaming ceremony!! :) :)

pogmahone ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 3:32 AM

tee hee - I always though Amethyss wuz a female, and Zhann a guy. You live and learn. Pogmahone (female of the species)

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 4:11 AM
Forum Moderator

OK! Own up! Who's a 'don't know' ?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Sambucus ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 6:52 AM

Over on the Poser forum recently the point was made quite forcibly, with the threat of banning etc, that OT threads were OUT. Here fortunately we have had threads asking who we are, what we do, what we look like (spared you all a pic of me on that one) and the meaning of our nicks. Im sure this has made for a stronger forum, and saved a few embarrasing references by knowing the gender. etc of our friends here. Long live the Bryce forum. (and its mods). By the way, db, are you changing your name because "not a drunk" doesn`t fit anymore? :o)

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 6:57 AM

one request, just keep signing yourself as amethyss as well for a while. thanks :) drac (i'm slow)

PerryMcK ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 7:15 AM

Hey this is great! I found rock collecting folks. Hi There!:) Names are gender ambiguous. Doesn't matter much if, in this medium you, show courtesy and respect for the words and work of the artist. I have found that to be, for the greatest part, the way it is here. I will be looking for dBgrafix's new posts and site. What do you collect?

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 8:29 AM

There is a mine up on Four Peaks. Here in Arizona. Congrats on the new name, and website.cooldude.gif

drawbridgep ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 9:39 AM

I think you should do the Prince thing and say "dBgrafix(formerly known as amethyss)" at least until we all get the hang of it. wink.gif

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

bigbadelf ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 9:42 AM

(Hurriedly taking notes) Or perhaps i should just figure that if i don't know which you are, you're probably the opposite of what i think you are. It seems to be turning out that way. - Embarrassed in North Carolina

rickymaveety ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 10:18 AM

Oh gee, and how many people here still think I'm a guy??? But, I'll make note of the new name for you amethyss. PS ... never thought you were a girl, you're posts never seemed female, and really never thought Zhann was a guy because I'm a huge Farscape fan and so to me that's a female name.

Could be worse, could be raining.

bigbadelf ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 10:27 AM

Aha! At least i was right about you, Ricky. I think it was the flies, cockroaches and clean windows comment that clued me in. 8o)

Ardiva ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 10:44 AM

Thanks for the heads up guy! grin I think the Bryce forum here is very very special. People here sure know how to be nice to one another and that is the bottom line.

amethyss ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 11:13 AM

Yes this was OT.Forgot.
No Sambucus ....Not drunken is still the only way to be.
PerryMcK I collect antiques and coins.
Happy Rendering!

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 11:52 AM

Oh..I was 'dbmale' on another forum..where gender was a lot more important a consideration once..figured out Zhann (thought it was Farscape too) and Rickymateevy took a little longer..as long as the artwork is right, don't much matter..;)
Pakled, formerly nu-be, snowed under in North Carolina..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

IndigoSplash ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 2:17 PM

I confess...I thought Amethyss was a girl until the photos were posted. And I thought Zhann was a dude too (never saw Farscape). I think I pegged Ricky for female based on the posts. I'm sure I have a lot of others wrong too. But I still get referred to as him/he even though I think IndigoSplash sounds girly. :) I wish I could change it but it seems like a hassle. Unless you're looking for a date, I don't think the gender mixups are that big of a deal. Not to me anyway. :)

pauljs75 ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 4:28 PM

Heheh... I've done that name gender association thing too. LOL... Usually when one thinks of an Amethyss, they think of a crystal and Crystal is usually a girl's name (I've yet to know or hear of a guy named Crystal. LOL) Not to mention there's gender ambiguous names like Pat, Jan, Sharon, Ricky, Nicky, Dana, etc. Over on the Poser forum recently the point was made quite forcibly, with the threat of banning etc, that OT threads were OUT. That's one thing I like about this Bryce Forum, we're one of the more easy going groups. Odds are we're not likely to get skivvies in a knot over something as long as it doesn't affect the overall scheme of things. As long as we have Agent Smith, things should be good here.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

rickymaveety ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 5:38 PM

Oh, but so often the OT posts are the most interesting!! Gotta share this .... I got flamed up down and sideways at one of the other forums recently because everyone assumed I was a guy. Since realizing their mistake (and re-reading what I posted), I have since gotten several apologies. So, sometimes the gender confusion can cause other misunderstandings. However, I like my name and I'm keeping it.

tynana ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 6:51 PM

Good luck with the new name. I have to write it down or I will forget and won't realize I'm looking at your work. :)

Swade ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 7:35 PM

Well..... been nice knowing ya Amethyss.... Hello dBgrafix. Nice to meet ya. Lol Pauljs75.... I saw that riff raff in the Poser Forum regarding OT threads. What a bunch of.... well I am not going there. Just glad that we have a good bunch of people here and that AS is as level headed as he is. Makes for a much more enjoyable experience here. We have it pretty good here. Good luck with the new name Amethyss.... er... dBgrafix. wink.gif Wade

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 8:32 PM
Forum Moderator

I think RICKY is a great name for a lady! You've just got to see her photo....pant-pant ;-) But what I've noticed is that you girls write different than us boys, so that's often a big givaway, and yet some guys sound like kids/youngpersons - not saying who though!!! Ducks behind reinforced concrete wall to avoid bullets I used to see this when I ran a cb-radio. All the kids had names like 'laser-blaster' or 'moon-base-alpha', whereas adults picked handles that would grow old with them......

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 10:35 PM

and to think when I started posting in here, that I considered Bryce the 'serious' forum, and Poser the 'get wild' place..plus le change..;)

rickymaveety ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 11:09 PM

Ah, Bryster ... pant, pant right back at ya man!! ** I gotta stop working on this puzzle world project ... it's past 9:00 in the evening and I haven't eaten lunch yet!! **

Zhann ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 11:53 PM

Oh? and how do us 'girls' write differently, might I inquire?

rickymaveety ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 1:15 AM

It probably has something to do with being articulate and using proper grammar or something like that. :)

DJB ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 1:29 AM

I think it was an OT post awhile back a that seperated the boys from the girls.I'd say that was different writing. Other than that it is hard to tell because we all ask similar things regarding Bryce and related subjects.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

IndigoSplash ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 1:39 AM

It might be a stereotype, but I always think of women being more thorough in their explanations and descriptions...and more talkative to some extent. Men tend to be more blunt and curt (sp?) and somewhat more smart-alecky than women. Obviously everyone doesn't fall into the stereotypes. But I find myself being influenced by those biases when I'm assuming someone's gender. As far as ages go...I'm always way off on those. I always think people are younger than they really are. Not sure why that is.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 1:54 AM

Sorry to see you go amethyss but hello and welcome to dBgrafix. I did think you were a girl dB and you know it, which is why I've been so embarrassed ever since. lol 8) Just the other week a new persom to the forum thought I was a guy, can't understand that considering my name, but Bryster put them right. My hero.......... ;} Catlin BTW dB, amethyst is my birthstone too.........Happy birthday. 8)

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 2:59 AM

Garnet is mine...january

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 8:51 AM
Forum Moderator

Zhann: No offense! But u ladies DO approach things in a different way to us guys. And this shows up in your writing....it's a gender thang!

bigbadelf ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 9:47 AM

I might as well jump in on the Feb-fest. Happy B-day to all us Febs (i'm sure there's more).

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 10:26 AM

yeah..women tend to be more detail oriented, less forceful in their exposulations, more open to compromise, usually more grammatically correct ('ceptin' my missus, she's 'noun-challenged'..very inferential in talking, while me being a techie, am more focused on the descriptive..;), but to be honest, I haven't worried about the gender of the artists..;)

rickymaveety ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 11:22 AM

Oh I have .... don't want to end up flirting with members of the same gender. So, embarrassing, doncha know.

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 5:38 PM

Sure, but using your criteria, and applying it to my writing, then no one should have mistaken me for a guy, right?...(although on occasion, I've been accused of having a pair of brass ones)...;] Ricky, why not, it makes life more interesting...:)

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 5:51 PM

In this place I don't think it's really a problem if you flirt with the same gender, as long as your having fun and not hurting anyone why not. 8) Catlin

rickymaveety ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 6:24 PM

I dunno .... just feels weird. Never flirted with a lady before .... (had a lot of them ask me out, in fact, probably more than the number of guys, but that's just a part of living in the city ... find myself saying "Oh, thanks, but I'm straight" a lot.) :)

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 6:28 PM

Just cause someone female asks you out doesn't mean they're gay, maybe they just like you alot...:) On the internet, you get to know the 'person' even before you know the gender, and if the 'person' part appeals to you, why not flirt, there's a male/female side to all of us, the ying/yang of life...:)

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 6:32 PM

BTW, you can feel any way you like about anything you want, not trying to change anyone, just stating an opinion...call me eccentric, bizzare, out there...cause I am...;]

rickymaveety ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 6:45 PM

Every time a lady has asked me out, it's been pretty clear (in context) that it was a "date-date" and not "two chicks on the town." That's ok .... I don't mind that any particular group of people finds me attractive (except maybe serial killers ... I'd rather not attract serial killers), I just hate for them to waste their time on the wrong person. And, I pretty much want the serial killers to leave me alone altogether.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 8:53 PM
Forum Moderator

Well I don't think Zhann is gay! She has a big beefy trucker for a husband.......she could be Bi though! looks around for a nuke-fallout shelter..

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 8:56 PM
Forum Moderator

And oohhh I could flirt with Ricky anytime.....! "Ricky don't lose that number, You don't wanna call nobody else... Send it off in a letter....to your-self...." Steely-Dan

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 8:58 PM

Bryster, wouldn't you like to know!....:]

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 9:01 PM
Forum Moderator

Jan, no I wouldn't.....I'd just like to watch.....!

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 9:11 PM

Don't most guys...:)

rickymaveety ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 9:45 PM

Bryster ... you're not a serial killer .... are you???? And, you'd tell me if you were, right??

bigbadelf ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2004 at 11:16 PM

LOL

Mrdodobird ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 2:40 AM

amethyss is a guy? Ricky is a girl? .... ..... oh Actually, I've been encouraged many times to change my name as well. For some reason people don't like "Mrdodobird"...go figure. I think rochr's got it made. That is the coolest nick-name ever. that and "Drac" hehe

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 8:04 AM
Forum Moderator

Ricky: I haven't killed a box of cornflakes for years....

rickymaveety ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 11:55 AM

Bryster, dear, this does not exactly put my mind at ease.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.