Sat, Sep 21, 12:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:22 am)

Subject: Multiple characters: Is this a P4 bug? Is there a solution?

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 7:23 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:28 AM

I made 2 characters. Figure 1 has a group FloorTile01 and Figure 2 has two groups FloorTile01 and FloorTile02. Now I have a generic SET (Pose) file which simply hides the floor. The idea is that I can use it on Figure 1 and on Figure 2. So it simply hides both FloorTiles which is no problem when I load one of the Figures to the scene. Now I loaded Figure 1 first and Figure 2 next. I selected Figure 1 and applied the SET (Pose) File. FloorTile01 from Figure 1 vanished as expected, but FloorTile2 from Figure 2 also vanished. I didn't expect that and it shouldn't work that way. Any ideas? I have several elements with almost identical body parts and I don't want to make set files for them separately. Thanks for your help in advance - Walter

ockham ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 7:59 AM

For one thing, you should be sure that the internal names for each FloorTile are entirely different. In the cr2 you'll have a section that begins something like this: actor FloorTile1_A { name FloorTile01 on bend 0 ..... The name in the first line is the internal name, and it needs to be different for every instance, even if the external name (on 3rd line) is the same in both files. If this doesn't help, I can rig you up a Python script that will do the job from a different angle!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 8:29 AM

Thanks ockham, but if I do it that way, I have to make separate SET files for all the Elements/Figures. The SET files work with the actor. Example: SetFloorTileAllOff.pz2 { version { number 4.01 } actor FloorTile01:1 { off } actor FloorTile02:1 { off } } This works for multiple instances of the same figure, but not in case described above. It seems to me that Poser is going through the list of Figures loaded and switches off ONCE when it finds a fitting actor. One idea I had is to put in ghost parts for items that lack FloorTile02. Does this make sense?

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 8:33 AM

By the way, I have never done Phyton scripts. Is there any tutorial on that somewhere?

ockham ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 8:39 AM

Just for clarity: Are you making the internal names in the CR2 files entirely different? For instance, in the first CR2 make the internal name FloorTile01XYZ, and in the second make it FloorTile01ABCD. Using Python scripts is easy. The Poser manual covers it fairly well, but for a one-picture look, go to my website ockhamsbungalow.com/Python and click on the first line, How to Use Python.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 9:04 AM

No, I do not make the names different. I have a lot of parts in the cr2 files that can be switched off separately. These parts are named (actor!) equally in several figures, so that I have one SET file that works with all cr2 files. Example Figure 1: { version { number 4.01 } figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:TFX:ClawHall:ClawEdgeSmall.obj actor BODY:1 { } actor EdgeCore:1 { storageOffset 0 0 0 geomHandlerGeom 13 EdgeCore } actor CeilTile01:1 { storageOffset 0 0 0 geomHandlerGeom 13 CeilTile01 } actor ColBase:1 { storageOffset 0 0 0 geomHandlerGeom 13 ColBase } actor FloorTile01:1 { storageOffset 0 0 0 geomHandlerGeom 13 FloorTile01 } Figure2: { version { number 4.01 } figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:TFX:ClawHall:ClawWallRail.obj actor BODY:1 { } actor RailCore:1 { storageOffset 0 0 0 geomHandlerGeom 13 RailCore } actor RailLeft:1 { storageOffset 0 0 0 geomHandlerGeom 13 RailLeft } actor RailRight:1 { storageOffset 0 0 0 geomHandlerGeom 13 RailRight } actor FloorTile02:1 { storageOffset 0 0 0 geomHandlerGeom 13 FloorTile02 } actor FloorTile01:1 { storageOffset 0 0 0 geomHandlerGeom 13 FloorTile01 } Thanks for the hint on Phyton, I knew I had to read the manual one day...

ockham ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 9:10 AM

I can write a script quickly that should do the job; in this case I think Python will behave differently than the PZ2. As I imagine it, you'd want a button that toggles FloorTile01 off and on in the currently selected figure, and another button that toggles FloorTile02 off and on in the currently selected figure. Does that correspond with how you need to operate?

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 9:18 AM

I want a button that doesn't toggle FloorTile02 off in a NOT selected figure when there is no FloorTile02 in the selected figure.

ockham ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 9:22 AM

You want to switch all FloorTile01 at once, or just the one in the selected figure?

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 9:29 AM

Seems there is no python support available in Poser4.03. I can't find this folder and I can't even find the word Python in the Help-PDF. Any idea?

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 9:32 AM

Just the one in the selected figure. Think I've been cross-posting. Sorry for that.

ockham ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 9:33 AM

Oh! Sorry. I just assumed you were using Pro-Pack. If you're in plain Poser, Python won't work.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ockham ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 9:36 AM

Isn't cross-posting fun? Incidentally, this problem is one case of what's usually called "crosstalk". It was solved in Poser 5, at least for some cases. I don't know if this particular branch of the problem was solved.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2004 at 9:54 AM

Ok, thanks for the help. At least this could work in Poser5. I'll try it at home.

Tintifax ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 4:52 AM

I found a solution for Poser4. I have to put ghost parts in all items (no geometry), so that a Poser does find the actor in the selected element. Seems to be a good way to go. Thanks for your help - Walter

ToolmakerSteve ( ) posted Fri, 05 March 2004 at 3:08 PM

Does the Figure Injection technique help? That's where you leave off the ":1"s in your pose file: { version { number } actor FloorTile01 { off } actor FloorTile02 { off } } I've been posting that this doesn't help, in a somewhat different situation, but I'm starting to think I was wrong...

ToolmakerSteve ( ) posted Fri, 05 March 2004 at 3:11 PM

Oh, and are you aware of the technique where you load a "Null" character between each figure? Search forum for "Null"... I'm trying to pin down when exactly these techniques help...

Tintifax ( ) posted Sat, 06 March 2004 at 1:02 AM

Thanks, I thought to use the Null haracter, but that would not be very user friendly for this product. The actual solution works fine and the users of my product like the way TFX ClawHall behaves. Thanks for your input anyway. - Walter

ToolmakerSteve ( ) posted Sat, 06 March 2004 at 2:36 AM

Ah, I hadn't read #15 closely enough to realize you'd solved it. Glad to hear it! Sounds like a useful solution. squirreling away in some corner of brain

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.