Thu, Oct 10, 6:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: light eminating from mouth and nose

LonRanger ( ) posted Mon, 08 March 2004 at 10:57 PM ยท edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 6:26 PM

Here's one I haven't run into before. I see light coming out from my model's (Michael 3) mouth and nose. Perhaps this has happened before, but this is the darkest lit environment I have tried (a night setting), so the problem is clearly evident.

I turned off all the lights and the light coming out of his mouth and nose disappeared, which leads me to believe that the light from the external lights is somehow penetrating the hair and skull of my model and coming out the mouth and nose. Is this a true assessment? How can I fix this? Thanks.

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 09 March 2004 at 12:45 AM

If you are using Poser 5, set the Ambient channel in the material to a negative for both. If you are using poser 4, Artist, ProPack, or even 5, you can also download "nostril glow" props from www.runtimeDNA.com in the freestuff section.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

LonRanger ( ) posted Tue, 09 March 2004 at 1:06 AM

Thanks. I'll check out the "nostril glow" thing (since I have Poser 4). But what about the glow coming out of the mouth?

And am I right? Does this glow come from the lights seeping through the head and then out the mouth and nose?

This seems like a real bug that should have been fixed...

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 09 March 2004 at 1:15 AM

No. I don't recall specifically the cause of the nostril glow, but it is not specific to poser (not a bug) and it is not caused by the lights seeping through the head. Nostril glow's been around a while -- the orginal no glow nostril props are found at www.morphworld30.com for older figures. If I recall, it has something to do with the way the things are set up, but I really don't remember (been way too long). Another option in P4 is to apply a solid back reflection map to the nostrils. Sounds odd, I know, but I've used it a few times with good success. Been lots of good pictures that make fun of this effect, and everyone gets it sooner or later.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

LonRanger ( ) posted Tue, 09 March 2004 at 1:43 AM

But what about the mouth glow?

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 09 March 2004 at 2:04 AM

It's the same thing, hon. Handled pretty much the same way, except you can't use a prop, obviously. You could try toning down the highlights and shift the base color of the diffuse into a greyer or darker zone, but there is't much more that I know of that you can do about it.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 09 March 2004 at 3:29 AM

Make the inside of the mouth black... including ambient and highlight and reflection colors. Make the tongue black and make the teeth black. Do this on the base tint for your character (you probably have a white figure under your skin texture) and do this on the texture map. If they have a morphable uvula in there, make it black too. If there is no white and no color, it becomes very difficult to get a glow... especially since Poser doesn't have point light sources. If you've followed a tutorial for making glass people or moebius-wireframe people you can find tips for making eyeballs and teeth vanish. Carolly

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 09 March 2004 at 4:22 AM

Attached Link: http://www.keindesign.de/stefan/poser/firefaq.html#7

The reason why this happens are imprecise shadows (or you forgot to turn on shadows in the first place). It can all be fixed by adjusting your shadows properly.

d-larsen ( ) posted Tue, 09 March 2004 at 7:52 AM

Bingo! Now I know why I had a light in the corner of my characters mouth yesterday! I finally had to hide it by changing lights and locations to minimize and hide it. Thanks Stewer!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.