Sat, Sep 21, 3:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: transparency glitch?

Burnart ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 9:29 PM ยท edited Sat, 07 September 2024 at 10:04 AM

file_103029.JPG

If I've done it right there should be a little section of a render attached to this pic. It shows Blink (a freebie Poser model from 3D Universe)rendered in Vue 4.22. The problem is with the eyelashes. The geometry seems to be a one sided mesh with a trasnparency map. On the lefthand side the area which is supposed to be transparent is instead solid. On the rightside however you can see that the transparency is working. Anyone know how to rectify this? Is it really a "bug"? Thanks in advance.

Zicculus ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 10:42 PM

As odd as this sounds; if you make a box and put the transparency that is not working on it, it may fix the object you really want it to work on.

gebe ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 9:24 AM

In Vue 4.2 or Vue 4.52 Pro (you don't say what version of Vue you are using) you may open the eyelashes in the material editor and give more transparency. You maybe also have to change something with the highlights. They are often black in Poser and should be white in Vue. The eye may need some more "shine" too, to look more "alife". Poser transparency/highlights etc. are not exactly the same as the ones used by Vue.

Burnart ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 5:06 PM

The eyelash material has no shininess and a refractive index of 1.0. The flare settings are set at zero. The material preview in the material editor looks fine its only when I render that I seee a problem. I tried making the preview object a box (- is that what you meant, Zicculus?) but I didn't notice anything new. I have spent a lot of time fiddling with this without succes so I was hoping someone on this list might know a solution or at least give an explanation of Vues behaviour. The eye is shiny - I noticed that Poser import doesn't bring in glassy/glossy objects properly - you just cant see a highlight at this angle . I did say I use Vue 4.22 - this is an update of Vue standard which I downloaded about 2 weeks ago.

gebe ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 4:38 AM

Of course, to make a box of the preview will not help at all LOL. Burnart, can you upload your scene somewere for us to download, so we can try it for you? Or even send it to me, zipped, if it is not bigger then 3 MB to gebe@renderosity.com? Thanks, Guitta

Burnart ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 6:01 AM

file_103030.JPG

Thanks for the offer of help - sorry I didn't respond straight away. I don't own the right to freely distribute that model so I tried to create an object that behaved the same way - without luck! I have arrived at a solution of sorts so I thought I should cap this thread. When I tried tackling other aspects of the project that needed work such as introducing more plants I found that the transparent area was not solid at all but was allowing the grey cloudy sky to show through the eye and head. This was in fact the opposite problem to what I thought was going on. I then decided to look at the material of the eye. The eye is composed of 2 spheres- 1) with the pupil and 2) a transparent sphere for the lens and glossiness. The problem was mostly solved by introducing a much higher level of refraction (1.52) , showing caustics and allowing a 10% fade to white on the 2nd sphere. There is still a slight artifact around the edge of the eyelashes geometry but its not too bad - compared to what it was like originally.

Cheers.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.