Tue, Oct 22, 5:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Inside/outside

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 1:09 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 5:37 AM

file_109211.jpg

This is an old problem, and may not have a decent solution. For my latest anatomy stuff, I need to show a cross-sectional view of gooey head innards. Trouble is, Poser handles the inside of a single-sided shape inconsistently. In the upper image (1) you can see the perspective properly. But in the lower image (2), which is the view I need, Poser turns the surface inside-out. Reversing winding order doesn't help. I know one definite solution: use Amapi to give the scalp a 'thickness' so that it's a closed object. Poser always handles closed objects better. But the scalp is too complicated, and Amapi goes crazy when it tries to set up a 'thickness'. I'll probably have to simplify it down to the point where Amapi likes it, but that's a lot of work and time. Any faster ideas? Any UVmapper tricks other than winding order?

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

shogakusha ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 1:41 PM

Actually, this may be an optical illusion. I once saw similar in real life on a special on how the human eye perceives things and takes cues from lighting and shadow. Try altering your lights perhaps.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 2:00 PM

Maybe you could duplicate the scalp, reverse winding order, then scale it down slightly to make an inside surface? I don't know about the mouth, though.

Kudos for using the phrase "gooey head innards", by the way. Very Calvin and Hobbes. :)

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 2:03 PM

Unfortunately, it's a bit deeper than lighting. There will always be some part of the concave object that looks wrong, even when the lighting makes one part look right. Maybe I'll just carve away the nose and ear, so that the remaining bits won't be so obviously wrong!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 2:05 PM

duplicate the scalp, reverse winding order, then scale it down slightly to make an inside surface? Good idea. I'll try it!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

chriscox ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 2:21 PM

Perhaps using the grouping tool in poser to flip the normals for the skin and lips materials would give the effect you're looking for Chris Cox

Chris Cox

Ajax ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 4:12 PM

Rather than scaling it down, try using a constant colour displacement map in UV mapper pro to create an equal amount of displacement over the whole surface. You might be able to create an even thickness inner wall that way.

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 4:25 PM

By jove, Ajax, I think you've just given me the excuse I was looking for, to buy UV pro!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Ajax ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 6:34 PM

It's a great app. Even if the displacement thing doesn't work, you won't regret it - and Steve is finally back at work on version 3 after about 9 months off because of his house burning down. I think the version 3.0 upgrade is going to be free for owners of 2 and it looks like it's going to have some great features.

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 9:16 PM

Carrara retains the UV-mapping if the created thickness is low, like about .001 in.

gps ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 9:58 PM

If you do decided to buy UVMapperPro (and you really should, it's excellent), it has a function to make facets two-sided (it's under the Tools menu). I think that might help. At the very least it'll make the head easier to look at in Poser's display window ;) - Graham

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 10:06 PM

Don't forget to put in the little dangly thing that hangs down at the back of the throat. Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

xenic101 ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 11:29 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1780213&Reply=1780230#9

Dr Geep reposted a tute just a bit ago. Page 8 looks like it explains a quick, easy, free way to do this. basically, just export every thing as a prop, then import it with normals reversed, then export it again. On second thought, I think you'll lose the textures this way...

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 14 May 2004 at 4:18 AM

Oh that is good news Ajax. I've been waiting for news on UVMapper. It's such a great program! And a free upgrade would be even cooler :D

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 14 May 2004 at 11:38 AM

Well, I tried all those suggestions and none worked. Turns out that I need to slice the scalp into two parts anyway to make chewing show properly. Morphing won't do the job. So I'll leave out the nose and ear, and make the upper part a bit more "schematic". There must be an intrinsic topology problem with the nose; one of those Escher things where the renderer just can't decide what's in or out. (Amapi's internal renderer had the same problem.) Anyway, many thanks for all the suggestions. EnglishBob's idea came closest to working.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.