Mon, Oct 21, 11:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:11 pm)

Subject: No Shadow at all :((((

Totoro3D ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 5:55 AM ยท edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 9:08 PM

file_110024.jpg

Reading through the forums trying to find help for my problem, I could see many people have problems getting the desired shadow in their renders... but I feel even more miserable, I don't get ANY shadow at all @.@ Please look at the attached image. The ligth I marked is an infinite light. "Shadows" is enabled. In the render options "cast shadows" is enabled too. I even tried with both Firefly and Poser4 Render, I tried changing the floor prop, I tried changing the position of the global light, I tried using a single Spot even using the shadow cameras, playing around with the x-rotation to be sure a shadow would be casted on the floor. I even tried a different floor prop and tried cast shadows on and of for the floors... Vicki itself does not seem to have a "cast shadow" for the whole body but checking several body parts "cast shadows" is enabled too. But as you see, there is no shadow whatsoever at all... what am I doing wrong???

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 6:30 AM

You have the newest updates? Also sometimes other lights will cancel out the shadow of the main light. Marque

Totoro3D ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 7:07 AM

I've got SP 4.1 and I don't get a shadow when I delete the other lights, which might interefere, either... doesn't make much sense...?

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 7:32 AM

No it doesn't. This one is for the gurus. Sorry I couldn't help. Marque

neilp ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 9:09 AM

Are you checking the "Shadows" box in the render settings?

Totoro3D ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 9:25 AM

Yes, as mentioned in the first post, "cast shadows" is activated, or is there another Shadows-Box?

HaiGan ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 9:56 AM ยท edited Thu, 20 May 2004 at 10:01 AM

What's the ground plane you're using? I've never yet managed to cast a shadow on to Poser's own ground plane. Have you tried placing a flat square or a box below the figure instead, and seeing if you can cast shadows onto that? And have you made sure the figure is 'dropped to floor' (Ctrl + D with the figure selected is a good short-cut). Sounds silly, but I once managed to pose a figure way above the floor that looked okay in the main camera view, and couldn't figure out the lack of shadows until I checked a different view.

Message edited on: 05/20/2004 09:59

Message edited on: 05/20/2004 10:01

lululee ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 10:02 AM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=28431

Richabri's new Studio set has amazing lights with terrific shadows and a photo studio backdrop with it yo cast shadows onto. I am totally impressed with how it renders shadows. cheerio lululee

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 10:06 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_110025.jpg

HaiGan this is on the poser ground plane, wonder why you can't cast a shadow? Marque

neilp ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 10:07 AM

For each object you bring into poser there is a "Cast shadows" property but the one I am refering to is in the "Render Options" page. ... and by the way, shadows do work on the standard Poser ground plane.

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 10:19 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_110026.jpg

Brought Judy in in Poser 5 and only set the cast shadows on the render page, nowhere else. Marque

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 1:47 PM

Totoro3D, the image you posted looks to me like an unrendered Texture Shaded preview, Poser only gives you shadows in a rendered image. Also select your main light source and check the "Shadow" dial (usually set to 1.000), try increasing this value, if it's an infinite light you will have to double click on the dial and set the "Max Limit" to a higher number (say 9.000). If none of the above sugestions work, save a light set to the Lights pallet, make a copy and give it a ".txt" file extention, post it to this thread as an attachment. We may be able to spot a problem, or at least eliminate some possibilities.

Totoro3D ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 2:03 PM

Hi, its a rendered image of course, I just took away the texture map from Victoria to speed up rendering speed... BUT, lesbentley, your advise about changing certain light dials produced a shadow in my latest render. I am so happy now. Thank you so much. And thank you to everyone else too who wanted to help me. :)))

HaiGan ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2004 at 2:09 AM

No idea why I can't cast a shadow on the ground plane when I can on other objects, Marque. I went and tried it in Poser 5 (never tried casting shadows on the ground plane in that) and it wasn't a problem, so maybe it's just a bug in my particular installation of P4. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've never considered it a particular problem for the way I'm using Poser. =^} Glad you've got things working now, Totoro!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2004 at 7:08 AM

HaiGan, The ground plane has to have the "eye" next to it in the hierarchy window or it won't receive a shadow... at least for me.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.