Mon, Sep 16, 11:05 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: Was that a Gorilla Crossing and Running Down the Street.?

macmullin ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2004 at 9:52 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 2:52 AM

file_109996.jpg

Yes that was Little Joe! No he has not escaped from the zoo again...But this is the first test render of my new MM Gorilla texture (WIP and no post work).

Its a potential commissioned project. A local company has gotten the contract for creating a museum style display and traveling interactive exhibition for the Boston Zoo... I was asked to submit some work. It would be a nice treat if I got the jig.

Francemi ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2004 at 11:55 PM

WOW! He does look REAL... wouldn't want to meet him in the street! loll Bravo! France

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

TygerCub ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 4:30 AM

Great going on the skin texture. But you need to redo the eyes. Gorrillas' iris take up more space than a human's eyes do. You've got a great start there... don't let a little technicality ruin your chances. :)

macmullin ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 6:35 PM

After looking at dozens of Lowland Gorilla images. I notice this iris feature as well Tygercub. For this test, I through in my Vista V3 eye / lacrimal texture for this test render. There is still a lot of work yet to go. This texture is all hand done, I hardly ever use a photograph directly pasted in my work. I like creating displacement maps to get my effects - it all takes time. I think part of the problem is in the Dazs MM Gorilla model itself. I feel that the eye openings are to large (human like) and I think the eyes are the same used on all the other MM figures one eye model seems to fit all I guess. They have not compensated for the material groups for a larger iris either but I will later on. Since I only have at this time the free MM Gorilla LE. I am not sure if the Dazs Premier package has any morph targets to compensate for the eye /eyelid openings and the iris - the chances are there isnt any. But your right Tygercub it could be rejected on a small technicality just as this. But I dont think it will.

TygerCub ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 8:15 PM

Hmm... rejection may depend on the visceral reaction your client hopes to achieve. If the client is looking for a "human contact" kind of emotion, the human eyes in your image are perfect and evoke a more personal reaction than realistic eyes. If you can't get the eyes "just right", that might be an angle you could use to sell your work. If you DO need to change the eyes, a good texture map may do the trick. Another posibility would be to import the eye objects into a program that would allow you to move the verticies (i.e. create a morph). Either way, I wish you, CONGRATULATIONS and GOOD LUCK!

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 10:21 PM

I worked with lowland gorillas for two years at Disney's animal kingdom. you've done an excellent job! My only criticisms are: Their skin has more texture/wrinkling to it.. maybe a little less specularity, too. The whites of the eyes are no as white as humans.. they are darker, and a little more yellowish. It also looks like the eye highlight is painted on.. loose that, and add alternate specularity to that material.. it'll look MUCH better. I miss those guys...

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

macmullin ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2004 at 10:22 AM

file_109997.jpg

Thanks for the tips and input guys it's always welcome. I worked in some of your suggestions in this render, but there is still a lot work still to get it up to snuff. It would be a big help If I had some really good clear photographs. Then I would not have to speculate so much about the little details.

TygerCub ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2004 at 3:36 PM

if you do a google search for "gorilla" under the "images" tab, there are tons of photos where the eyes are pretty clear.

TygerCub ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2004 at 3:42 PM

Here are the first three I could find with fairly decent views of the eyes: http://www.interq.or.jp/sun/solaris/konshu/gorilla.jpg http://www.infocusphotos.com/gallery/winuganda/images/Curious%20Female%20Gorilla.jpg http://www.vanermedia.se/bilder/Gorilla-A_M.jpg

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2004 at 3:50 PM

Attached Link: http://www.gorilla-haven.org/ghdisney.htm

These are they guys I worked around at Disney.. I used to play hide n go seek with Jabari... I miss those days.. LOL!

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

macmullin ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2004 at 8:31 PM

file_109998.jpg

I think I have the problem under control with this render. I found this image of just the eye at: http://www.drawn2wildlife.com/images/colour/gorillaeye.jpeg

Kristta ( ) posted Sat, 22 May 2004 at 7:16 AM

Oh my! I've never seen gorillas close enough to know specifics but all of the renders are simply gorgeous.

freyfaxi ( ) posted Sat, 22 May 2004 at 4:56 PM

Excellent..excellent work. Just a hint..show the client both version of the eyes..tell him what you've done and why. Let him see the work and 'audience reaction' angle that was mentioned before. That'atention to detail' might help clinch the deal

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.