Tue, Oct 22, 4:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Material names and case sensitivity in MAT files

3ddave44 ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2004 at 11:38 AM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:01 AM

I've got a MAT file that changes the color of the "Fingernails" material. In my MAT file, the instruction goes to "Fingernails". I've applied the MAT to a figure whose nails are named "fingerNails" (note the difference in case placement), and the MAT file doesn't work. Instead it just adds a "Fingernails" element to the drop down list but doesn't actually affect the model. Is there a way to use both versions of fingernail spellings in the MAT file? I tried the idea below but that doesn't work. Any other ideas? a slash instead of a comma? a colon? figure { material Fingernails, fingerNails { KdColor 0.337255 0.133333 0.109804 1 KsColor 0.643137 0.643137 0.643137 1 NsExponent 50.0194 textureMap NO_MAP } } Or should I urge the creator of the figure to rename those (and any other) materials that use a naming convention that's unconventional to names that are conventional? Thanks if anyone has an idea. Dave

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2004 at 2:46 PM

The figure creator should follow standard poser conventions to avoid causing confusion. Of course, no one can force him/her to do it, but in the end, it only creates havoc if you invent your own bizarre material names. The general idea is to use the materials names given by Curious Labs or DAZ (the 2 industry standards). This also applies to body parts and other things like that. Poser is intensely case sensitive, and it doesn't like being messed around with. mac

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2004 at 2:51 PM

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. I know of no way to fix this. A MAT file will apply whatever material it contains to the figure. If the material in the MAT isn't in the figure, it'll just be added to the end of the list. If you make a MAT with the material 'supercalifragalisticexpialidocious', that name'll be added to the figure. Of course, it won't do anything, except give you a fright, but there you go... mac

3ddave44 ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2004 at 3:07 PM

Of course, I could just include a material call called "fingerNails"; but then I'd be needlessly adding a 'fingerNails' element to other figures that have that material group named as Daz does ("Fingernails")... But it doesn't look like I can get away with lumping the two different spellings into one call. Thanks, mac. Dave

d-larsen ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2004 at 3:24 PM

Could you possibly use "$CURRENT" to name the material in your MAT file and make sure you have the fingernails selected before applying your MAT? I had to use that designation in my MAT files for changing the colors of Dynamic Hair in P5. Don't know if that will work here, but might be worth a try!

3ddave44 ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2004 at 4:00 PM

I didn't know about the "$CURRENT" call. Interesting but the MAT is part of MAT set product I am updating and I'd rather not have to have people make sure the nails are selected. The figure that has the different material name is not a major one so I'm not going to worry about it. It's just when I saw that the set was not working on it, I investigated and that got me writing my post. Thanks for the "$Current" notion though - knowing that might help me in some other endeavor. Dave

scourge ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2004 at 7:23 PM

"$CURRENT" works only for calling body parts (actors) and props and hair, i.e. replace "prop figureHair" or "actor Head:1" with "actor $CURRENT". But you can't call materials that way, and the $CURRENT flag only works in Poser 5.

d-larsen ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2004 at 7:33 PM

Thanks for clarifying it scourge! I wasn't in a position to test it because I thought I be misunderstanding what he was asking. I was right that I thought I was wrong. Figure that one out and you win the cubey doll prize!

R_Hatch ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2004 at 1:46 AM

"$CURRENT" works for materials in mt5 files.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.