Mon, Sep 23, 11:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: how do I get objects to glow in photoshop 7?

curtskinn ( ) posted Sun, 30 May 2004 at 11:34 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 6:10 PM

I want to be able to make objects look like they are glowing when I am doing the postwork of my renders. How do I get the objects that I am working on to look like that they are glowing? I was trying to work with it earlier, and it was not working too well. I was trying to see about having a character's eyes glow, but I was not able to get the glow to be only in the eyes area. Any ideas?

DeepLayers ( ) posted Sun, 30 May 2004 at 7:42 PM

Well,.... probably the easiest way is to use the Glow layer effect. Of course you have to separate out the part that you actually want to glow (put it on it's own layer). Another thing to bear in mind is that sometimes if your having difficulty getting the type of glow you want, it may be easier to do it in pieces, meaning multiple layers. A layer or two for say a tight glow close up to the object itself and then maybe a couple others with wider (and more transparent glows). The glows are transparent so you can build inrensity with multiple layers as well as have a lot more control by affecting the level of transparency/opacity per layer. You can always do it by hand of course. just put the object you want to glow on it's own layer and then create a layer beneath it and airbursh in a custom glow. That can leave you with hard edges on your glowing object up close to it so you may want to address that.

bonestructure ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2004 at 9:51 AM

The best investment you can ever make to add to photoshop is Eye Candy. Aside from everything else, there's the gradient glow effect, which you can manipulate in any way you like. I use it often for glow effects. You just can't find a more useful plugin.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2004 at 1:39 PM

You can select the parts you want to glow (with color range for instance, or with the magic wand), create a new layer and fill it with a lighter color in the same range as the objects. Blur that layer and try different layer blend modes. Duplicate the layer, try other blending modes. It is easy, just experiment.

ache_n_sole ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 1:36 PM

HEY, How com evry'one has a suggestion but no one post an example??? Letz see what youre saying, makz it a hella' lot easier to figure out!! ~AnnC~

retrocity ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 8:40 PM

@ Anna ;)

we'll see what we can do...

:)
retrocity

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2004 at 5:09 AM

Attached Link: http://www.cops.nl/Sate.mp3

file_111090.jpg

Fast example then... In this picture (the cover for my free on-line single 'Your Cat Is Not A Pencil Sharpener' in Dutch) the white is glowing. I did that by selecting the white, made a new layer, filled it with white, blurred that layer and tried different layer blend modes. I can make another example... In the meantime you can listen to my song.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2004 at 5:30 AM

file_111091.jpg

Mmmm. This example might be a bit too much. But the important part is blurred layers with layer blend modes. And I used some layer styles (I made layers of the first two layer effects: the outline and the gradient fill). I will post the layer palette too.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2004 at 5:32 AM

file_111092.jpg

Uhm. Yes. My copy of PS is in Dutch too. Like the song.

retrocity ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2004 at 5:51 AM

LOL Hoff! it'd make a cool tee-shirt!! thanks for the examples, they really help to explain your methods.
:)
scott

PS: and i thought English had "funny" words... ;)

karosnikov ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2004 at 7:33 AM · edited Tue, 08 June 2004 at 7:40 AM

file_111093.jpg

here's my attempt. basicly II made a black layer and set it's blending mode to *screen* and used the eye's shape to define the main glow. it's an iregular shape. laso selection wil do, feather it by 1 pixel. duplicate this layer and flur it any way you like. I did a gausian, and a hoizontal motion blur , these copies layers were @ 26% opacity.

forgive the suspicious photo.

Message edited on: 06/08/2004 07:40

karosnikov ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 7:52 AM · edited Sun, 13 June 2004 at 7:59 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/photos/GAL_200406/GalleryImage692872.jpg

file_111094.jpg

are we getting close curtskinn?

Message edited on: 06/13/2004 07:59

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.