Tue, Sep 24, 1:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:07 am)

Subject: too many folders

DeviantDesigns ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 4:04 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 1:23 AM

Ok, somebody tell me,how the hell can you have V3,M3,Steph3, and the other new uni mesh all installed in PoserPro pack? theres just too many inj pose folders.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 6:16 AM

PBooost is about the only practical solution.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

DeviantDesigns ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 6:31 AM

thanx but I tried that when it first came out and the test app said it wouldnt run on my system.

Phantast ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 6:42 AM

This is why I'm not buying M3, Steph3, etc.

DeviantDesigns ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 6:58 AM

I agree I had to put M3 in Poser5 which is useless as it crashes or locks if I look at it the wrong way .Wont be buying anymore Unimesh figures

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 7:08 AM

Myself, I put all of the "body" inj into one folder, all of the "head" into another, and if applicable, all of the "expression" into a third. You don't have to leave them where the installer puts them.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 9:09 AM

PBooost works just fine. You may need to get CorrectReference first to correct any bad texture references. Poser will lockout folders when it finds bad texture references.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 9:32 AM

Just don't buy figures with 80 folders (such as the third generation figures), don't buy products with bloated MAT files (who needs 20 different colors of nail polish? per texture / per character?), and don't buy anything which insists upon taking over your library. I arrange MY Runtime the way I want it. I keep it trim. I install what I need, where I need it... and remove it if it doesn't work out. :grrrrr: I also rename almost all files as they get downloaded. If a file has a ! in front of it, it is because I put it there, not some vendor. And there is no need for any third party solutions if you don't contribute to the problem by putting textures in poses and poses in cameras and lights in faces and wherever else people (including vendors) are moving stuff. I hate it when some vendor has assumed that my pose folder is full and slips something into hands or cameras. Carolly Evil OverMistress of the UnderDark and Ruler of Her Runtime

Gearcy ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 10:25 AM

Thanks, Carolly, for the confirmation. You hit the nail on the head! All installations in my system go to the New folder; from there, I -- make that I decide where things go. This allows me to keep my system organized and also lets me keep track of what items I've got in what folders so I can find them when I need them.

stitch to How to Keep Track
Right now, that's a notebook; but there's an ODBC database growing in the background, ready to take over when needed.

Back to topic; I've been using that system for awhile now, but what do I know? I'm a three-month newbie. Now, I see that a Forum Coordinator has "blessed" that method and I'm a smilin' guy!

Jackson ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 11:16 AM

If you know how to drag and drop directories (folders) in Windows Explorer, it's very easy to control your runtime directory. And it doesn't matter if you have third generation figures or not. Just create a dummy runtime directory then open an Explorer window to that directory. Open a 2nd Explorer window and navigate to the real runtime directory. Put the two windows next to each other then drag folders in and out of each window as you need them. It's easy, fast, and free. And you can do it while Poser is running, as it re-reads the libraries whenever you close and open them again. I have three dummy runtimes and use this method all the time.

DeviantDesigns ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 7:24 PM

Thanx folks.For some reason I was under the impression that the Daz Inj Poses wouldnt work if I moved them. Personally I could delete 80% of the body ones and not miss them at all(I dont do nudes)and I dont render in Poser much so I dont export any bits that cant be seen, makes for a lighter .obj. I agree, hauksdottir, there is so much bloat in packages these days.Daz installers are shocking, try installing one to the desktop, taking out the promo and adverts and then zip it, compare file size and you'll be amazed.Obviously they are under the impression that the whole world has access to affordable cable.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Sat, 05 June 2004 at 11:16 PM

Some people prefer to do things the "hard way," while others prefer to spend less time "organizing ruthlessly." Perhaps it is a good idea to offer everyone to voice their opinions without placing value judgements. A word of caution concerning the DAZ injection folders in the Pose library. If you move them or change their names, you may encounter problems if you buy characters that rely on those folders. I remove the "!" points from the folder names and had troubles with some characters later.

sandoppe ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2004 at 12:39 AM

I purchased CRPro and can now rename geometries and move them into my bedroom if I want to without any problems! :) I'm a "reorganizer" as well. If I simply let this stuff install at will, I'd never find a dang thing! The only things that I believe have to remain in the libraries folder with the assigned name, are the folders that contain the ChanVis, Deltas and Hide thingees. But they don't show up in your Poser libraries anyway.

butterfly_fish ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2004 at 3:39 AM

I also rename almost all files as they get downloaded. If a file has a ! in front of it, it is because I put it there, not some vendor. And there is no need for any third party solutions if you don't contribute to the problem by putting textures in poses and poses in cameras and lights in faces and wherever else people (including vendors) are moving stuff. I hate it when some vendor has assumed that my pose folder is full and slips something into hands or cameras. Glad you said that, Carolly. I hate that, too! I'm not going to remember somewhere down the line that the textures for Bob's Dress or whatever ended up installed in my cameras folder. I just spent a bunch of time moving files that wanted to be cameras. Call me crazy, but I want the stuff in my cameras folder to be cameras. And as far as the !, !!, !!!, +++, -, or whatever other method people want to use to be at the top of my directory structure, if I can't find it, I can't use it. If I don't use it, I don't buy from you again. Simple. And I hereby promise never to put weird characters in front of any folder I make. ~~~ ;-) -Heidi

One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. -River Tam

DeviantDesigns ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2004 at 4:00 AM

Thanx for all the help folks,I personally unpack everything to the desktop and put it where I want it to go, 90% of mat files get deleted as do all camera files and light files as I rarely render in Poser.For some reason I had it stuck in my mind that I couldnt move those folders, now I can reclaim some library space. Thanx again

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2004 at 7:06 PM

More space is good. :) Just remember that it is your computer and your Runtime... and by putting stuff where you want it, and trimming out what you don't need, it will make things easier to find, too. Carolly

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.