Mon, Sep 9, 4:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: This Bryce thing

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 4:26 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 4:36 AM

I see that the Daz Bryce, allows Poser scenes and figures, via Daz Studio. However, over the last few years, haven't people been using bryce with poser? I could have sworn I had seen people do this? Was I mistaken? If not, how did they do it? I do not like the idea that I have to go from psoer to daz studio to bryce. Could someone explain this to me? I see al ot of threads about the dazstudio to bryce subject, but nothing explaining what people used to do to use poser and bryce. I am very interested in bryce (I have Vue, but want something new). thanks.. --Eryk

Aldaron ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 4:33 PM

Yes people have used poser figures with Bryce for a long time but the materials usually have to be tweaked once imported into Bryce. Also transparency maps had to be re-applied, etc. Apparently importing from DAZ studio alleviates all this tweaking.

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 4:37 PM

Thank you Aldaron. Could you tell me how? Is it a built in feature or is there a program/plug in I would need?

kirasha ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 4:44 PM

For myself, I generally set up the figure in P5 (with clothes, accessories, etc.), fiddle with the morphs if need be, pose it, and export as an OBJ. I then run it through Grouper, importing the resulting OBJ into Bryce. I never bother with adding the textures in Poser, I always use Bryce for that. I haven't played around with the DAZ software too much. I got turned off the alpha version because the interface annoyed me. I did, however, download the newest beta version. JL

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 4:48 PM

Thanks for the info EsoWolf. I'll have to look into that.

Phantast ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 5:32 PM

Nice to see that someone (EsoWolf) understands.

Jaymonjay ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 6:10 PM

I agree, EsoWolf. The Poser materials library, if it can even be called that, is damn near useless. The Bryce matlib is so intuitive to use, not to mention the infinite variety of materials available. Now if they could fix it so we could pose our people within Bryce, I'd be a whole lot more excited about the whole thing. Nothing sux worse than spending an hour posing a model, then going to all the trouble to import and texture it, only to find out that the pose is wrong. :(

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 7:48 PM
Forum Moderator

Jaymonjay: Now if they could fix it so we could pose our people within Bryce I thought that was what Fred was for..........

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Jaymonjay ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:53 PM

Bryster: Fred?

kirasha ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 11:20 PM

Jaymonjay: oh my goodness, yes! I hear ya on the last minute pose corrections. DAZ|Studio does not seem to be much better about texturing, either. But, the GUI drives me too crazy to futz with it for too long, even though it's better in the beta than it was in the alpha. JL

Swade ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 12:09 AM

EsoWolf I have till the present done this same thing to bring poser characters into Bryce.... I just have never use grouper. It has always worked for me. Just lots of tweakin. But I can deal with that. Phantast... I too do this. I tried the plugin this morning but wasn't super thrilled with it. Will probably continue to do as I have always done. Wade

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 12:25 AM

Honestly, I never really used Grouper. (but, I really should) As you all say the textures need tweaking anyway, all I cared about was that the (picture) textures that I used for the Poser figure were already "attached", so I didn't have to do all the extra clicking to find and load up the textures. If DAZ can make the plugin to work perfectly, all the better. (but, I bet I will still be tweaking the textures, lol) What I would like to see in the plugin is support of animations AND being able to re-pose the figure in Poser/Studio, and then that figures pose being updated in Bryce automaticlly! AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 5:01 AM
Forum Moderator

Someone invented a charecter that worked like SMARTPIPE, he was called FRED. The idea was that FRED could be posed in BRYCE to help you decide on how you should pose a POSER charecter..... I've got Fred somewhere, unless someone knows the link...

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Phantast ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 5:23 AM

AS - you NEVER used Grouper???? Believe me, it TRANSFORMS how you can work with Poser and Bryce together. I really can't live without that program these days. The thought of not having it gives me nightmares. Jaymonjay writes: "Now if they could fix it so we could pose our people within Bryce, I'd be a whole lot more excited about the whole thing." Now THAT is the absolute nub and crux of the thing. If Daz can deliver on that, I will be very, very happy. But I don't expect it overnight. This plugin thing was very simple. In fact, I don't know why it even needed a plugin. As far as I understand, all that happens is that D|S reads a Poser pz3 and outputs an .obj file with full .mtl coding. Poser only ever wrote a subset of mtl when writing obj files. But Bryce could ALWAYS read mtl. I know this, because I tried hacking an .mtl file by hand once, and Bryce read it no problem, brought in the transparency. In fact, the D|S part of the equation is not strictly necessary. All you need is a little proggie that reads a pz3 file and rewrites the .mtl file that Poser exported from it. I was going to make this myself once upon a time, but I could never get hold of the full mtl specs.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 5:31 AM

I know...(grouper)...sometimes I am SO lazy sometimes. CastIronFlamingo, whom makes Grouper also made another utility called "Pharo", which made it so you could take your Poser lighting setups and import them into Bryce and use them. I thought it worked okay myself, but he was still working on bugs. Don't know if he will ever finish it off. ;o( AS

captor213 ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:23 AM

Attached Link: http://www.fignations.com/jelisa/mtl/mtl_fixer.html

Forget grouper,get metal fixer its much easier

Phantast ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:54 AM

Metal fixer is very little use AFAIAC. a) It's no use at all unless you have already loaded the textures into Poser. Why bother doing this? b) You still need Grouper to arrange the meshes. c) It's another thing to run, for no huge benefit. If your texture library is sensibly organised, finding the files manually is not difficult, and once you have them in a scene, you can copy-paste them anyway. Pharo is also rather a pointless program. Why should anyone want a Poser lightset in Bryce? This is like trying to invent something that plays 78s on a CD player.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 10:01 AM

Most people DO load their textures in Poser, most everything other than the figure already has a texture attached to it. Anyone who uses Poser knows that the lighting is far more simple to set up, and ESPECIALLY to save your lighting set-ups in presets. I dream of Bryce being that easy, flexible and convenient with its lights! Of course Bryce has better physical lights, Poser just manages them far better. Never used MetalFixer. But, it all comes down to each person's workflow, whatever is easiest for them. AS

catlin_mc ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 12:11 PM

Grouper allows you to group all the obj's that use the same texture so that when it's imported into Bryce, for each group, there is only one texture you need to tweak. Also Grouper gives all the obj's understandable names, like shoulder_r, shoulder_l, etc. The turbo plugin doesn't do that and that's my beef with it, of course, it doesn't matter how you get your Poser figures into Bryce you always have to tweak something to get your image just so. The main good thing with the plugin is that it means you can set up entire scenes in Poser and import the whole thing into Bryce, all at the same time, and that is a big plus. 8) Catlin

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 1:48 PM

the thing I'm running into with Poser is that everyone has their own scheme for textures, with more than a few just saying 'load these into whatever directory you want', usually giving you the Poser 'shruggin' man'..;) I'm with AS, they should just standardize to some small extent the naming and locations conventions in Daz (not sure if they have, I've used Daz Studio for about 20 minutes so far..;) like Bryce Mats (at least you don't have to look for the !!!@whatever directory..;)
I should start using Grouper..;) It's possible, to answer the original question, and it's done fairly frequently..nothing bumps up the hit count like a human bean in the pic (well, except for detail, talent, artisticness, etc..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Incarnadine ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 11:45 PM

Why would anyone setup an entire scene in poser? Bryce has so much more power in that regard. I always use simple props wherever I have to interface to an object when posing (or the original mesh if it will import). I prefer also to have the ability to texture individual parts on some occasions. One question just occured to me though, does grouper allow one to get around the phong breaks that can arrise at sub-object borders? I don't use grouper so I don't know what the answwer is. Anyone?

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Incarnadine ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 11:48 PM

@Pakled - I skimmed through my runtime folder and copied all the textures to a specific set of texture/male, texture/female, texture/animal, texture/object style folders. This simplifies all my texture access between bryce and/or C4D rather dramatically.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.