Fri, Sep 20, 3:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Future challenges

GonWaki ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2004 at 10:33 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:48 AM

Now that the May challenge is over (congrats, manimal) I thought this would be a good time to discuss their format. The past two month's challenges have used "seed" images for writers to base their story on. What I'd like to know is how everyone feels about the images. 1) Specifically, do you like the idea of supplied images? 2) Do you feel they are too restricting? 3) Would you prefer to not use supplied images? Finally, any comment you'd like to make (as long as it's within TOS) about the challenges to date would be appreciated.

manimal ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 8:48 AM

Thanks for the votes and thanks GonWaki for uploading for me. An image has always worked to get my imagination going. How about tieing each month's theme to the winner of one of the other groups winning images? This might provide even more "reward" for someone in Bryce or Poser to see a story made from their image.

airlynx ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 12:37 PM

Good job on your entry manimal, I really enjoyed it and am sorry to hear you had computer troubles. We all do sometimes. I love the images for the writing forum. I feel it is better than a 'theme' of sorts. My only qualm is that they don't allow for more abstract writing. I like the idea, It's a little constricting, but thats okay Keep the images I like manimal's idea too, it would pull renderosity together more as a whole, not to mention promote the writer's gallery a little. There would have to be rules in place for the winner of the image contest however. It wouldn't be entirely fair for the artist to make the image and write the story as well, because he would know more of what it's about. Thats just my opinion.

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 2:22 PM

If you included the Fractal Forum Challenges, you would find beautifully abstract and inspirational graphics. I don't think the creator of a graphic would necessarily have an advantage over anyone else...each person sees something different in a graphic or a piece of writing. The creator may, in fact, be handicapped by a lack of world view (being too close to one's own work is something I see and experience frequently). I haven't been participating in challenges lately so I don't really feel like I should have a vote. That's just my opinion, for what it is worth.

TheAlex ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 7:50 PM

Your opinion is worth a lot! From what I've seen you participate in Challenges even if you don't enter them so your vote is as worthy (if not more!) as anyone elses. I agree with the points made; about using images from other Challenges, though in some cases it may not be viable to say "oh, we'll use the winner of that contest" as at times images may not be suitable, or the creator may not want to enter an image in the original contest if it's to be used here. Where do the supplied images usually come from? Perhaps the winner each month could choose the winner from one of the other challenges (Fractal, Bryce...) to base the contest on. I also think it would be good to mix it up each month, perhaps one month try a contest without any images and see how it goes, use images from different sources etc... I do like the current format of the contest though, so perhaps only a little tinkering. Who knows, if I win one day, I may be able to use one of my own images to (try and) inspire you all! ;)

GonWaki ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 2:00 AM

Good input. Thanks! If anyone has something else to add, please do so by Monday, 6/28, so we can get started with the July challenge.

jstro ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 6:47 PM

First off, congratulations manimal. Sorry I missed the last challenge. I even had an idea for a story but somehow it never got written. But the idea's still kicking around. As to your questions re. the challenges: 1) Specifically, do you like the idea of supplied images? I can take them or leave them. 2) Do you feel they are too restricting? They could be if they become the dominant method. I like variety. A seed image now and then is fine, but so too are the myriad of other methods for basing a challenge; e.g. a simple topic (such as A Halloween Challenge for October), a supplied title or opening line, a type of writing (a Brian, a parable, an essay), English usage (the Adverb Challenge comes to mind), or even a genre. I guess all I'm saying is I'd hate for it to become solely seed image based. 3) Would you prefer to not use supplied images? I can take them or leave them, but hope they don't become an the only form. Just my two cents, for what they're worth. jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

GonWaki ( ) posted Thu, 01 July 2004 at 2:48 AM

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. After spending a couple of days thinking about this, I'm going to stick with the original plan: The winner of the previous challenge gets to decide the format of the next challenge (normally) and will be responsible for providing any image, if the challenge calls for it. Please keep in mind that not every challenge needs an image. As Jon pointed out above, there are many different areas that can be explored. There may be times when I will post a challenge to the forum. When this happens, the previous month's winner will get to choose the following challenge. The only reason for this will be to accomodate suggestions from forum users. As always, please IM me with suggestions.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.