Sun, Sep 15, 11:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: How big is your fractal collection?

kinggoran ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 1:13 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 11:21 AM

I was just wondering how many fractals you have created, newbies and regulars alike. Counting only images you've rendered yourself, not downloaded ones. Here's my collection: 565 fractals @ 2.16GB in BMP format.

airlynx ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 2:12 PM

Lol, I can see it now. This is what we call a penis measuring contest. I always lose those. I keep my collection really small because I use a lot of virtual memory on my machine. I have several Zip disks full of fractals that I'll browse through if I need inspiration, but I have no exact size. Most of them are in BMP format, but I have quite a few in JPG as well. I probably have at least 175MB total.

Beebee127 ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 2:26 PM

ROFL @ Airlynx Gawd, am I glad I'm not a guy! Woops, should I have said that? Now, for the real post...I'm all mixed up with jpgs and bmps, with more and more pngs all the time. I save the pngs in that format cause they're recyclable in Apophysis, but is there any benefit to saving as either bmp or jpg? Some images I have in both formats, cause I can't bear to delete anything. (but I keep 'em all neatly filed, jpgs . bmps, pngs, flames, all in their own folders) Can't be bothered adding up all the MBs.

kinggoran ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 3:44 PM

The size in bytes is not that important, it's more of a fileformat issue anyway. If you store all your images in PSD format with all layers seperate, then the collection will be huge (bytesize) but if you store all your images in JPEG it will probably be tiny, I also store copies in JPEG format for my homepage. I was more interested in the number of images, doesn't have to be exact. "Lol, I can see it now. This is what we call a penis measuring contest." Hehe... I hope you don't see it as a contest. I'm more curious really, not about your penis but your collection... aghh!!! I've said too much!

airlynx ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 3:53 PM

So what your saying is size isn't important, its how you use it? I use that excuse a lot

CriminallyInsane ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 4:21 PM

Fractals i've created would probly be around 700-1000 and only a fraction of those have ever been posted. Plus about another 300 odd of other types of images over about an 8 year period. I don't have a collection because I never keep them or save them to disk. I will fill up a couple of folders with images and then when it gets a bit much to handle, I delete them. I have a few older images but nothing more than about 18 months old. Most are less than a year old. So if anyone has any of my older images saved they are probably the only ones in existance.

kinggoran ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 6:25 PM · edited Mon, 21 June 2004 at 6:30 PM

Attached Link: Fractal #567

I'm up to 569 now... It feels like yesterday I created my 200th fractal. Oh...wait! That WAS yesterday!

not really... it was August 16 - 2002. :)

Message edited on: 06/21/2004 18:26

Message edited on: 06/21/2004 18:30

Rhaina ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 10:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.artifaction.com

LOL! I couldn't even begin to count. I've been doing this little fractal thing since 1999. The work I have here at Renderosity is just a tiny fraction. I have approximately 180 images on my website, which is less that a quarter of all the fractals that I've done personally. This doesn't count tweaked UPR's from other people. Most of them are in JPG format, but I've recently gone to using TIF files. I'm storing many more GB than I want to know about right now, but I figure if I need any of them in a hurry for printing they will be there and I won't have to wait for another render.

paragon5 ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2004 at 10:52 PM

We have probably 2000 images of our own! I keep them sorted in folders for each program, with compositions in it's own folder. I also keep a notebook with the numbers I assign to each fractal. Hey, but that's just me! I'm one of those people, I actually have all my CD's in alphabetical order. And I can tell if anyone moves anything on my desk, no matter how small!

Layla-Rose ( ) posted Tue, 22 June 2004 at 1:47 AM

I have 268 finished images here in my gallery and on my website after 18 months of using UF & Apo. Like Rhaina, thats probably about a third of actual fractals ive made & rendered ( excluding upr's ) I render all mine in psd format, and VERY rarely render from Apo, if i ever do its in png. I burn all my upr's and image files onto cd each couple of months when my folders get overly full. Since i burn the uprs & images together i dont know the exact since of my collection but i have about a dozen cd's full at the moment. As for the 'measuring contest' well...not being male i dont need to worry about that :P

abmlober ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:59 AM

Even males do not count everything... I just count how many images I have lost during my great crash... So far there are two which exist as small JPG and a DIN A4 print only, and which I really miss...

:rolleyes::sad:
Joy of Frax

Layla-Rose ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 4:30 AM

oh oops i noticed i made an odd typo and i cant edit my post :/ I meant i dont know the actual SIZE of my collection. What ever posessed me to write since i do not know.

kansas ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 6:42 AM

I have never counted. I have all mine in folders by the month that I created them. Then each month I put them on disk, but still leave them on my hard drive. Most of my images which I like are in my Webshots albums. http://community.webshots.com/user/_marion70 I also have all my par files in separate folders by the month. Marion

rocserum ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 5:38 PM

Have you seen all my posted ones? I think 60 % is fractal, and belief me, its a fraction of images on my files on CDs and HD. I do store everything, there countless. And I enjoy doing it it, RS

kinggoran ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 6:42 PM

"I do store everything, there countless." Could you do a search in your collection (on your harddrive) and give us a number? :) I'm curious.

airlynx ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:54 PM

I really got to stop thinking of penis analogies for everything, its going to start making people wonder about me.

Layla-Rose ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 3:49 AM

What do you mean start ? :P

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 8:06 AM

hmm.. well i'll tell ya when i have that 500GB external LaCie HDD of which i actually need 2, one for graphics, the other for music. But to indicate, i used 21 fractals (together 190MB) for 'thoth'. The end result is approx. 360MB PSD format @300dpi, which i also save in PNG and JPEG ... BIG SMILE

Beebee127 ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 8:44 AM

You da man!!

rocserum ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 8:14 AM

for kinggoran's curiosity, I've 5 CD rom with fractal images and found on the one I've controlled 217 files. In two system crashes lastyear I've loosed a few ;) My collection is growing by the day, just playing around with them.

Cosine ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 12:43 AM

Well, this is a bit difficult to answer (note that I did not say it was a hard one.) I have all mine in a subtree, but that includes submission-sized jpgs, bmps, thumbnail jpgs, and parameter files. A right-click and Properties on that folder shows 4215 files in 77 folders, totaling 2.77 GB. If I just search for *.jpg and limit it to files larger than 2 KB, I get a much more reasonable 1800 or so files. I've been doing this for just over two years, and I've done at least a few images in about 10 programs.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.