Sun, Sep 22, 4:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 4:04 pm)

Subject: Imported *.OBJ with UV-map turns black in render!?

SolidusSoft ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 6:53 PM ยท edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:30 PM

Hi there! I'm importing an OBJ file, into poser5, and applied the uv-map to the object, but when i press render, the object turns totally black! Please help me! Thanks in advance, Solidus

Torulf ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 7:28 PM

The polygons are back facing. Reverse the normals in the groupe editor or use UV-mapper in the same maner.

TG

ronstuff ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 10:56 AM

It could also be a couple of other things. After reversing the normals with the grouping tool, let me know if that doesn't do the trick and I'll describe how to handle such things as co-planar surcfaces, double-sided polys, lighting problems, and UV mapping problems - all of which can cause an object to render black under the right conditions.

bmoritz ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2004 at 9:32 AM

It may not be as simple as a reversed normal. I recently built a simple model of a picture in a frame in Ligthwave. It was exported as an obj and picked up by UVmapper.

I used UVmapper's "box" mapping to find out that the "picture" insert actually had TWO normals... and that each side of the picture had it's own texture map. Interestingly enough, Poser picks up BOTH sides of the pic and tries to render them too. Results.... interesting to say the least.

Solution. Assign each side of the pic a different material name (e.g., "front" and "back"). Make the "back" material transparent with no colors. voila!

Hope this helps... or maybe all you pros out there already knew this...

ronstuff ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2004 at 3:04 PM

Yes, bmoritz what you are describing is commonly called a "double-sided" or "double-faced" polygon, and is among the things that will cause this type of render error in Poser. As I mentioned above, there are other possibilities as well, but when advising others I always recommend checking the normals first.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.