Sun, Oct 6, 10:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: calling all 3d gods, need help!

superman32965 ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 11:26 AM ยท edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 7:55 AM

i need to know how to get the head off a figure. do i need a text editor or is there a way to do it in poser...see i don't want the characters body, just the head. instead of shutting off the visability for everything there must be a way to detach it as v2 has in the additional figure liberary.if any one knows please help, i need it for a school project ( i swear i'm not using it for personal gain) just a disecting assignment. no grade. like i said any help would be greatly appreciated.

jobcontrol ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 11:39 AM

Well, it depends on what you want exactly. If you only need a prop (head and eyes), just File -> EXPORT as an .OBJ-File and re-import it as a prop. You can do this also with the grouping tool: select the head then use the grouping tool "new group / add all / create prop". Then save the prop into your props-library. Making a fully poseable fihure, like, a talking head, is more difficult. You can use the above mentioned prop and copy the head morphs with a tool named Morph Manager (do a search - it's in the freebie section). Willy

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 1:00 PM

If you are using Pro Pack of P5, you can probably do this using the setup room. Export the head with eyes as follows, when the gray export box opens, uncheck all boxes, and then check Include existing groups in polygon group - this will keep the internal names for the body parts intact. Import the object back into Poser, go into the setup room, load the cr2 for the figure as your bones - if you have morphs for the head already loaded in the cr2, then they should work okay on the head. Return to pose room and you should have just the head, with no body. Save to library - be aware that Poser will create a new geometry obj for the figure and put it in the same folder where you save the figure. So, if you save the file as Head. They Poser will make a Head.obj and will look for it in this folder next time it calls up the figure. If you want to clean up your cr2, you can open it in morphmanager and delete the morphs for the body parts not used. If you do not have P5 or PP, you can do step one to export the head and eyes as an object, with the interenal groups. Put this in a folder - make a geometry folder for it if you like. Then take a copy of a cr2 for the figure, and change the call path so that it looks for your object, and save the file with a new name so as not to overwrite the original. The call path is in two places near the top of the cr2 and looks like this: figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:DAZPeople:blMilWom_v3.obj (this example is for V3, the geometry folder and object name may differ for whatever figure cr2 you are using. Just change the path so that it points to the location where you have the head.obj you made saved. Again, this line appears in two places, so be sure and change both). Rob

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 1:09 PM ยท edited Wed, 28 July 2004 at 1:10 PM

Oh, using a text editor there is another way you can do this, similar to hiding the figure, only what you are doing is hacking the cr2 so that only the head and eyes load. You are still calling the original object.

To do this make a copy of the cr2, I will use V3 as my example.

I change the name of the cr2 to V3head.cr2 so as not to overwrite my original.

In a text editor, near the top, you will see a list of the body parts, that will look something like this:

actor hip:1
{
storageOffset 0 0 0
geomHandlerGeom 13 hip
}
actor abdomen:1
{
storageOffset 0 0 0
geomHandlerGeom 13 abdomen
}

etc. for each body part

Delete the following lines:

storageOffset 0 0 0
geomHandlerGeom 13 "name of body part here"

For all body parts - except the head and eyes - it will look something like this for all the empty body parts

actor hip:1
{

}
actor abdomen:1
{

}

Again, do not delete the lines for the head and eyes. This tells Poser to load these parts of the mesh when loading the figure.

Save the file.

When you load it in Poser, only the head with the eyes will load. Again, you can use morphmanager to delete any unneeded morphs from the cr2.

Message edited on: 07/28/2004 13:10

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 4:41 PM

Don't you have the seperate Heads in the 'Additional Figures' folder of the figures library. ?

sixus1 ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 4:48 PM

Hello superman32965. I remember you from the other day. If this is about needing HER head ripped off...I recommend the method shadownet suggested. And if it is for HER, don't forget her jaw, upperteeth, and tongue as well as the head and eyes. --Rebekah--

superman32965 ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 8:37 PM

thanks folk, especially rebekah. you've been a huge help,and " bek " i told 2co i thought you were the best.to any one reading this post...sixus1 is one of the most helpful sites for all you 1st time online buyer's. check'em out.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 5:30 AM

Just make all the other body parts invisible from the hierarchy editor window. No setup room, text editor or unpleasant bending of any kind. :)

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 1:57 PM

If you export the head + eyes as an object and re-import that object as a prop, the head's morphs won't work, because adding the eyes adds more vertexes and that stops those morphs from working. You will have to export each eye as a separate object and turn each eye into a prop and parent it to the head.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 1:59 PM

To EnglishBob :: in the hierarchy editor window, click the eye symbol at the figure's name to hide the while figure, then find and unhide his head and each of his eyes.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.