Sun, Sep 22, 4:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 4:04 pm)

Subject: how to create walls with poseable doors and windows for poser?

SolidusSoft ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 9:02 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:25 PM

Hi there! I'm looking for a tutorial on setting up doors and windows. I'm modelling in Wings3D, and would like to know how the doors and windows thing works. Should i make the door a new group, or do you have to work with bones... Is there a tutor out there? Thanks in advance, Peter Olthof

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 10:11 AM

It shouldn't need bones. It should be a figure. SAMS3D has a tutorial, but can't find it at the website (www.sams3d.com), which shows all of the steps involved in making an OBJ file into a simple figure (a treasure chest with opening lid). If SAMS3D doesn't chime in or you can't find the tut, I'll be glad to get you the files for it.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Khai ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 10:13 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1790162

or there's Dr Geep's tute for making walls etc in Poser with no extra tools needed...

SolidusSoft ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 10:25 AM

hi kuro, I can't find the tutorial. Can you send it to me? my email is prolthof@w8ff.com Thanks in advance!

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 11:22 AM

The zip is about 4MB, so expect a long email process. If that's okay, I'll attach it. Otherwise, I can make it available from my webserver (I hope SAMS3D doesn't mind!). Let me know which works!

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

spedler ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 12:28 PM

There's also a tutorial at RDNA - 'Making a prop poseable' - specifically, a wall with a door in it. Look in the tutorials section, 3rd page, about halfway down.

Steve

cooler ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 2:00 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1362223

check out the thread linked above

SolidusSoft ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 2:38 PM

thank you all for your kind reply's! kuro : Thanks alot! I recieved your email correctly! I'll try that tutor out right now spedler : What is RDNA? cooler : That's a very helpful link, thank you!

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 3:28 PM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/

RDNA = Runtime DNA, a Poser/3D website! You're welcome! :)

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 4:17 PM

There are several ways you could impliment this. The method I prefer for making architectural props is to maker figure with no geometry, then parent the various props to that, and resave it to a figures palet. For doors, the first thing to do, before you position them, is to set the Y origen (the hinge). The general rule is to lock any channel (by setting the limits) that is inconsistant with the movement that you want. For example with a sash window you would lock all the rotation channels, and all the translation channels except for yTran. For a door you would lock everything except yRot.

geoegress ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 4:30 PM · edited Fri, 30 July 2004 at 4:32 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=24090

OR.... You could just get "The Door Factory" from the MP here and save yourself the hastle. It has 65 models and 94 mats. Plus some extra additions after it's bought. it also has pre cut walls for the door- easy as point and click- all possible. See all 3 pages to see just how much you get- and today they are 30% off.

Message edited on: 07/30/2004 16:32

SolidusSoft ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 4:49 PM

thank you kuro for the link ;) and geoegress... I'm sorry, I won't buy your product, as I need to use the door in one of my own commercial products :P And I want to learn it anyway :) (me wants to learn everything) :D

geoegress ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 4:55 PM

lol- no problem- I can understand learning- man they were a real PITA to make :) If asked we'd let someone use 'one' in a commercial product. Ya never know it was available if no one mentions it :)

maclean ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 5:39 PM

I'd suggest you start off with the variuos tutorials mentioned and try to get the hang of the basic process - ie. making a posable object and getting it to work in poser. Once you've mastered that, you'll be able to ask for more specific information. The aspect that les bentley mentioned is quite important. When modelling any object that you want to be posable, you have to divide it into the groups which will be necessary for the various movements. So, for a posable door you might have the wall and frame in one group, the door itself in another and maybe a handle in a 3rd group. That way you can bring the various pieces into poser and set their origins so that they rotate properly. Like anything else, it's a question of practice. I've been making rooms and what-not for a good while now, and there are a lot of tricks I just had to learn by figuring it out the hard way. Take it a step at a time and just ask whenever you need help. mac

Becco_UK ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2004 at 12:02 PM

Keep all the dials visible and functional! One day, a poser figure may wish to knock the door off its hinges in an animation. Or, someone may wish to recreate an explosion with the door blown out its frame. Simply, rename the relevant rotation dial to 'open close'. Hidden/ non functional dials are a pain...

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2004 at 1:16 PM

Right, becco. I'm glad to hear someone say that. From the very beginning I've left all dials visible, even though DAZ prefer to hide unused dials. My point being that there's always someone somewhere who wants to use them. What I do with unused rotation dials is set zero limits so the user doesn't accidentally rotate the door the wrong way. The limits can easily be changed if someone needs to use the rotations. mac

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.