Sun, Sep 22, 10:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: paging dr.geep and other helpers out there...

bnetta ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 7:05 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 10:21 AM

i'm working on setting up a group called. poser q&a archive where i'm going to put questions and answers to the most common asked poser questions along with links to tuts..... what i needed to ask you all is help to outline what would be beginner level items and info... up to advanced...??? and as i have p4 only i will need to gather some info for p5 users.... so if you have any info that you think should be included please post it here.. thank you, netta off to find the links to those great geep tuts!lol and to search the boards here for all those q&a's..

www.oodlesdoodles.com

geep ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 7:13 PM

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 8:18 PM

Something I'd like to see is a crash course in rigging a skeleton, and what to do with/how to make .cr2 files.

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 8:38 PM · edited Thu, 29 July 2004 at 8:40 PM

The most common question must be "I want to put clothes on the figure but when I load the clothes the figure disappears, so how do I do it?" I found out the answer to that one, when I first got poser 4, by READING THE MANUAL.

Message edited on: 07/29/2004 20:40

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 8:53 PM

Some of us want to know the answer before we waste over $100 on something that may be too hard to handle.... >_> I already wasted $50 on Poser 3, only to find that I can't use it to pose models I made with Wings. I wanted to find out ahead of time what it could do, but there was no info available. I don't plan on making the same mistake again, so I wanna know how to do stuff now, before I spend any more money that I don't have. Stomps off mumbling about the lack of employment for autistic people :.(

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 10:12 PM

d'oh!..I spent $15 on Poser 3 by getting a copy of Computer Art magazine..don't feel bad, you should see what Bryce is going for nowadays..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

geep ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 10:38 PM

file_119503.jpg

Hi SnowFox102,

re: " ... only to find that I can't use it to pose models I made with Wings."

Why not? ... You can if you "Poserize" the model(s). ;=]

BTW - Have you seen THIS TUTORIAL?

It can show you how to make any object into a posable figure.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

odeathoflife ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 11:23 PM

Attached Link: http://arcana.daz3d.com/index.php?id=693

Snowfox, here is a quick and dirty set up room tutorial to create a poserfyed character. Youmay have to be signed into Daz to see it.

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 12:45 AM · edited Fri, 30 July 2004 at 12:45 AM

Not much fun in a setup room tutorial for someone who has Poser 3 though. As the Setup room is a feature of Poser 4 Pro Pack and Poser 5 only.

For Poser 3 (and actually 4 and 5 too) I'll suggest PhiBuilder instead for creating poseable characters. Very easy and you don't need a setup room or anything.

(but can someone with Poser 3 verify that there really isn't a Joint Editor in there somewhere? Not that I don't believe SnowFox but it seems unlikely... after all, people did create custom characters for Poser 3 too, and how can you do that if you can't adjust the JP's?)

You can get PhiBuilder HERE

Message edited on: 07/30/2004 00:45

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 1:05 AM

Thanks everyone! Actually the setup room tut is very helpful - it shows that Poser 5/Pro Pack does handle bones the way I expect it to. The problem with P3 is that it's more complicated, based more on cutting up a figure in a modeling program, then creating the hierarchy text by hand. Not really doable by someone with a strictly visual mind. Thanks again to Dr. Geep, your tut is really helpful in explaing where stuff is supposed to go. BTW ernyoka1: P3 does have a JP dialong, but it's not a joint editor. It doesn't have all the functions found in later versions. It does have the "zero figure" button that has eluded me for some time, but otherwise it doesn't do much. I tried to get a screen grab but my computer is being weird and won't let me do it. I'll try later. I still think my dragon won't have posable wings until I can use bones, since I have no idea how I'd seperate the wings for Poser to handle them (each wing is only one object. The "fingers" are just raised bumps on the surface. Heh.) Thanks again y'all.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 2:16 AM

With PhiBuilder you won't have to totally do the hierachy by hand. Technically yes, but it's way easier AND it keeps track of whether or not it will work in the end :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

geep ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 7:00 AM

Hi SnowFox102,

re: " ... since I have no idea how I'd seperate the wings for Poser to handle them (each wing is only one object."

You can use the Grouping Tool in Poser to "cut-up" a single object into multiple objects.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 3:49 PM

Attached Link: http://www.curiouslabs.com/article/articleview/249/1/82/?df=1

Curious labs has an advanced techniques manual for poser 3 to download. It might be good for people who have poser 5 as their first poser to download this too, as it tells you about making figures and some other stuff.

odeathoflife ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 3:50 PM

I do believe that is also somewhere on the poser 5 discs if I am not mistaken.

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 4:32 PM

re: "You can use the Grouping Tool in Poser to "cut-up" a single object into multiple objects." Poser 3 doesn't have a grouping tool, at least as far as I can see. I can cut objects in Wings easily enough, I just meant I don't know where all the cuts should go ;) I've been messing with PHI Builder, I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Even when it says my file is ok, Poser doesn't accept it. I think my model still has some unnamed objects in it that are getting parented incorrectly. I think I'm going to have to experiment with a simpler model to understand what I'm supposed to do, before I try my dragon again ;)

geep ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 4:37 PM

re: " ... experiment with a simpler model ..."

Excellent idea!

;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 4:44 PM

file_119504.jpg

Hey SnowFox102, Got one of these? ......................^ cheers, dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 6:24 PM

file_119505.jpg

If I do, it's invisible ;P There's the JP dialog too. Er, ok, maybe it is pretty much the same as 5's. ;)

BTW, the error message I get when I load the PHI file into Poser is "Cannot open figure file to write". All the files are in the same folder btw.

geep ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 7:54 PM

I guess P3 didn't have the Grouping Tool.
It's been that long ago that I couldn't remember.

Hmmm ... me thinks ya need Poser4 ... sorry. ;=[

cheers,(?)
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 9:12 PM

file_119506.jpg

"Hmmm ... me thinks ya need Poser4 ..." Wow, ya THINK!? ;D Heh, I'm saving my pennies for an upgrade as we speak...Well, I will be saving once I have some pennies to save. ;) But look! I got the Poser 3.01 upgrade, and it finally loaded the PHI file! yay! ;P Ok so it doesn't pose correctly yet, but hey, it's progress. I gotta go back to the Robox tut to figure out how to set up the JP's.

geep ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 9:40 PM

Hi SnowFox102,

I am glad you are making progress.

You are doing FAR more with P3 than I ever did.

Of course, it always helps if you take the CD out of the box and load the s/w into your 'puter, no?
Heh, heh. ;=]

Congrats and ............ keep goin'.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 10:21 PM

file_119507.jpg

In working on setting everything up, I got this rather cute pose. ;) I need to redo the legs because they don't look right, but I think I'll do a test figure with this version, before I put more effort into this model ;) Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll get out of this now hi-jacked topic now ;P

geep ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 10:45 PM

Lookin' GOOD!!! ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.