Tue, Oct 22, 5:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Pose farming is fun

Tunesy ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 10:06 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 5:46 AM

I'd like to share a method I've been using lately to generate poses. I call it 'pose farming'. It's kinda fun, which is the whole point of Poser to me :) It utilizes the magic of CG animation and it goes like this: Put a character in a scene at frame 1. Advance to frame 10. Change to another canned pose. Advance to frame 20. Change to another canned pose, etc, to frame 100 or whatever suits you. Now, go back to frame one and cycle through the frames one by one. When you stumble into a pose you like, save it. You'll usually find a few worth saving. Note that this process can be done very quickly. Several points become self evident. The more extreme the difference between two consecutive canned poses the more distinct poses you'll generate in the 'tweens' (the frames that the computer generates between your canned poses). Most of them will be garbage. Some of them will be good. If you're looking for that subtle 'just right' pose then start with a pose close to what you have in mind and make your 'every tenth' pose similar. Use poses designed for any character. i.e. you can generate some nice poses using canned P5 'male poses' with V3. The poses don't have to be designed for the character you're using. This gives you a lot of starting points. Of course, you don't have to use canned poses. I'm going to generate a small library of expressions and hand poses using this method, but I haven't done it yet. Appologies in advance if this method has already been posted by others, but I've been having fun with it, so I thought I'd post it for you guys. Also my appologies to the artists who loathe this kind of laziness. hehe ;)

Styxx ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 10:28 PM

If ya ask me, tis a damn fine idea!

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 12:46 AM

Now that is an excellent idea! Thanks for sharing your ingenuity! I can see this would be excellent for getting the pose to have more of a sense of movement, something that can be difficult to achieve...

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 1:03 AM

I always make my own poses as I go. The only times I have needed a standard pose, it was not in my Poser 4 and I had to make and save it: standing, sitting, saluting.

R_Hatch ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 1:34 AM

I often use this technique to tweak faces, except that I use frames 1 and 30, and then jump to 15 and look around from there.

geoegress ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 7:59 AM

excellant idea :) well done :)

dlk30341 ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 8:12 AM

Great info/tip. Thank You.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 11:16 AM

file_120316.jpg

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Tunesy ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 12:34 PM

lol. And I thought I'd read all your tuts, Geep. How many more am I missing? ;)

pzrite ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 1:32 PM

That's a great idea, thank you. It's especially helpful to me because I create Poser "comics" and the hardest part is getting all those darned poses just right. This should be very helpful in creating and adding to my saved poses libraries.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 2:03 PM

file_120317.jpg

I dunno, how many? ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

pzrite ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 2:21 PM

Wow! When will the CD be available? :)

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 2:36 PM

HOLY COW, Doc!

Grey_cat ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 2:39 PM

You know geep, you should put out a book. Look at Shamms Morties, his stuff is nowhere near as good as your's and he charges 50 bucks a book.

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 3:31 PM

When is it coming out?????

jobcontrol ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 3:39 PM

Doc, your tutorials are a class for themselves. I've collected as many as I could, but you're so productive, it's impossible to stay on target. I, for sure, would be happy to have a bound book for reference, even at a price of, say $30 to $50. Willy (nudge, nudge)

jobcontrol ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 3:41 PM

It would be the second Poser-book that's worth every dollar (or Euro, that is), after Bloodsongs "Secrets of Figure Creation with Poser 5". Willy

Bobbyk231 ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 4:49 PM

file_120318.jpg

These are the ones I have.

dlfurman ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 9:54 PM

Been doing that for some time now. Someone mentioned this a looong time ago. It's really addictive.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2004 at 12:17 AM

It would be useful if people could download all these tutorials at once in one big zipfile.

aprilrosanina ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2004 at 3:21 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/index.ez?viewLink=434

Dr. Geep: As a suggestion, you could just put all your tutorials together for a CD and sell it as "The Compleat (so far) Dr. Geep Tutorial Archive." :) Renderosity has set procedures for dealing with that sort of thing - you can even send them a master CD and they'll send copy and send it to each purchaser. Might make back some of your bandwidth fees. :) People will know you provide these tutorials for free as a (much valued) public service - the archive would just be an additional bonus for those who wanted an easy reference. :) Tunsey: that's a neat suggestion - thanks!

jobcontrol ( ) posted Fri, 06 August 2004 at 12:20 PM

... and a very good suggestion, April!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.