Thu, Sep 19, 3:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Showcase

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:39 am)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: Can you solve the Product Showcase mystery??

BlueBeard ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 11:18 AM

What if we follow all this, or in some cases we have, and it still gets moved?

romanceworks ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 11:26 AM

Carolly, I appreciate the time you took to clarify your decision making process,and I understand it is a difficult choice. However it still seems very subject to your particular pov,likes and dislikes, etc. Particularly Point 6. There are many fine works of art that use a simple background and show only one thing. This could be a portrait, or a body, or really anything the artist chooses to focus the art on. To say this type of presentation is an ad instead of art really seems very bias.You know another moderator could have a different pov, and this creates impossible standards to follow. We personally have never asked any of our beta testers or anyone else we give our products to, to rave about it, or say anything special. That is the total choice of the artist doing the work. And we're just thrilled that they took the time to create an image using our product, mostly because it is so wonderful to view another artist's interpretation. In addition, people who purchase our products and create art images also say nice things about our products. Many are also merchants. I would hate to have their art moved to the PSG simply because they said nice things. Carol

butterfly_fish ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 12:03 PM

@ #51: Thank you for clarifying, Carolly. -Heidi

One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. -River Tam

Turtle ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 12:11 PM

Animal Farm! :O)

Love is Grandchildren.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 12:56 PM

Carol, You are right about #6. One of the merchants I had in mind uses only a flat black ground, another a photographer-type cloud thingy... so bland that it is never seen, and a third just has a standard frame. A certain amount of white space is a tradition in some genres... for some car art, pure white. IIRC, I had one of those and left it because it was within the tradition. It wasn't just popped onto a flat ground: the artist actually considered the composition. These aren't absolutes (I did mention marshy ground and markers can be moved if there is a new survey). Also, they only trigger a closer look. Part of why I'm actually glad this discussion has boiled to the surface is that it gives us the chance to look at the issues. If the Gallery is seen as merely an extension of the Marketplace, is this a good thing or a bad thing? Why is this a common perception? If ads are as welcome as merketers (and venders) say they are, why do people flee, change channels, complain, and otherwise try to avoid being drowned in them? If ads are as bad as consumers say they are, why does capitalism work? If all the other places for ads and all the other encouragement of merchants (such as the Rendo newsletter) aren't enough, so that the galleries must also be filled, what happens when that isn't enough to induce sales, either? (Or has that line been crossed... there are many, many more merchants than there used to be... yet the products available look pretty much the same, filling the same niches.) Is Renderosity merely a mall for people to sell to each other, or is there a place for education, exhibiting, and socializing... and should these other interests have some protection? These are all concerns. I'm afraid that I have to go lie down with an icepack for a while, and maybe get a spot of sleep,... but I'll be back. Carolly

ph0enixx ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 12:58 PM

Ok... is it really that huge of an ordeal? What in the world does it even matter? For some reason, [the powers that be] act like if someone opens up an image that says "Coming Soon" that the veiwer is going to be terribly offended and exit Renderosity at once.. I think [TPTB] should be focusing time on something of a different matter than nitpicking and moving gallery images around. - The "Poser Gallery" gets more hits than the "Product Showcase". We, merchants, are looking for a wider public, no? - In the "Poser Gallery" we have a "Character Forumulas" sub-topic. Hmm... - - - - - - - Why don't you guys just add "Product Showcase" the the sub-topic list, thus giving it a wider spectrum?

“Our real discoveries come from chaos, from going to the place that looks wrong and stupid and foolish.” – Palahniuk

romanceworks ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 1:35 PM

"I hope that this helps a bit, and will be glad to clarify my reasoning further. Carolly" Carolly This type of response is what may be 'triggering' the type of replays you are seeing in this thread. Members are asking here for Renderosity policy, not your personal reasoning or rhetoric. Renderosity has established the 'Galleries' based on work created by specific commercial software, POSER, VUE, XFROG, ZBRUSH,3DS ... not a good or bad issue ... it's just the way it is. It is logical, useful organization of images and it makes good sense. Why? Because these are not fine ART galleries ... they are digital art galeries organized by the type of commercial software used to produce the ART within. Why? Because, it gives the artists who use these products a place to communicate ... or bond if you will as in the commercial term BONDWARE. Why? So they can share and learn how to use the software and related products they have purchased and so they can find out what new 3rd party products are available for use with their 'Renderware' of choice. 3D digital art is a highly collaborative medium and that's what the galleries are all about .... collaboration. There is no other kind of art in the history of the world that enables the expression of creativity of individuals in such an empowering way. Every artist begins collaborating with the talanted artists and programmers that create the software they are working with in the first place. Then they collaborate with one amazing 3rd party product after another as they choose their characters, lights, backgrounds, props, poses, skys, seas, and yes even their moon and suns. Many of these 3rd party products take months of time to create and are true labors of love. Many are also highly innovative, constantly pushing the envelope. When the adverts hit, most merchants and product developers are exhausted just getting their products into a final saleable form. For the most part, little ART has actually been created using them. If merchants are fortunate enough to be associated with a few great beta testers or render artists, I for one want to see their work and know how it was done. This is what the Galleries are all about ... shareing work ... artistic and commerical. That is why the eyeballs come ... hungry and ready to see, learn, buy and enjoy. It simply makes no sense to post ART for arts sake in a RENDEROSITY gallery does it? If it's 2D we want to know what software they used. If it's photography, we what to know what digital camera right? Where else can we find that out? My wife and I started with Renderosity a year and a half ago and had never used POSER before. Thanks to the POSER galleries, we've been able to learn the who, what, when, where, and why of creating stunning art. We've been able to interact with some of the finest artists and most prolific merchants in the world and value every single word they have to say about their work, their products and what works and what doesn't. We've gleaned the vast majority of our knowledge from the POSER gallery. Actually, the R'osity POSER Gallery is where we, and thousands of others, have learned how to put smiles on our lips, gold on our hearts, and TEARS on our cheeks! lj heart

BlueBeard ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 4:06 PM

I am sorry, but I just posted my latest rendering. Since I am a merchant, I can not call it art. I have been telling a story, a story that has evolved over 3 months now, and the next chapter has started today. BUT, with the recent uncertainty in credits, I have purposely chosen NOT to credit anyone, and it is a shame, because your product is such a dream. Until someone can tell me exactly what is and what isn't appropriate on credits, I will no longer be doing credits. The reason is several in nature, but at this time, I am telling a story, a story to some fans that have developed over my work. And not my work as a merchant, but my work as a renderer and a story teller. I post these images in the poser gallery for their enjoyment, not for displaying of my product. Well, that is probably enough of a rant on this subject. It looks like very few have paid any attention to the points that I made, other than umutov! Well back to my rendering, since I am not an artist!

romanceworks ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 4:24 PM

BB - I say do your art your way - with or without credits - with or without words. Don't ever lose the joy of creating because of the BS. You made some excellent points. You care, are involved, and want to see things improve.. BTW - your image and story are very cool ... I mean 'hot'! :o) LJ is commenting on it as I write this. CC

BlueBeard ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 4:35 PM

Yeah, I am just disappointed when the ones that I am trying to make the points to, don't address them!

Spike ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 5:08 PM

Please stand by, we are taking this to a meeting now.... We understand both sides of this issue and want to try and make everyone happy.

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

chrislenn ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2004 at 10:48 AM

Any news on how the meeting is going ? Chris:o)

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Pee on it and walk away

Turtle ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2004 at 12:48 PM

I hope when there is they post a new thread. this one is going back fast. :O)

Love is Grandchildren.

geoegress ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2004 at 8:54 PM

thats the plan turtle :)

Momcat ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2004 at 10:08 PM

bump

romanceworks ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 7:11 PM

Spike, what's the status on gallery postings? Did you have your meeting, and if so, did you post the results somewhere else? Please let us know. Thanks. C&H

BlueBeard ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 7:29 PM
romanceworks ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2004 at 1:07 AM

Thanks, BB. :o) CC

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.