Tue, Oct 22, 5:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Specifically Gothic models/props links anyone?

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 12:45 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 5:20 AM

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a site or sites that deal specifically with gothic style models and props or scenery even. Not people necessarily but things you'd find in a place like hot topic, hehe, or on halloween. Candle sticks, bony type stuff, red satin or velvet drapes, etc. whatever falls under the creepy category, without being cliche or club girrlish. Or any sites that would have a good selection of this. 8-)

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 1:00 AM · edited Sun, 22 August 2004 at 1:00 AM

Just pic one.
Guess it really depends on just what you are defining as 'Gothic'. I personaly never classified Gothic as "falls under the creepy category", but to each their own I guess.

I would recommend RunTimeDNA, Rendo, PoserPros, 3DCommune, and DAZ.

Message edited on: 08/22/2004 01:00

gps ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 1:30 AM

At the RuntimeDNA store you can search by 'theme', which includes the category of Gothic - as igohigh points out though, this is a definition with wide boundaries! RDNA freestuff might be a good bet too. - Graham

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 2:30 AM

Hehe, sorry. I know the term Gothic does go in a lot of directions these days, and everybody has their own interpretations of it. My thoughts are a little more traditional and don't normally include platform shoes. 8-) So i'll just say spooky, kind'a creepy or "eerily charming" stuff. Like a candlabra made of bone. Would that be a good example? Lots of black, red and silver.

Coleman ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:18 AM

Andi3d makes bone furniture/structures and 'Necropolis' type models here in the MP - also has cool bone frebie stuff too.

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 7:20 AM

Anyone remember when "Gothic" meant a style of architecture and decoration? Sigh. I feel so old.

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 7:52 AM

Hmm...when the term Gothic is used I think more along the lines of Lord Byron, Mary Shelly, Poe, and the "traditional" movements in the gothic genre. So I tend to think more along the lines of Adam Ant and the New Romantic movement and Edwardian clothing (crosses between neo-pirate and late 18th/early 19th century formal). Perhaps someone could actually define the term and its many permutations so that we, as a graphic community, would have a more specific frame of reference. That'd be nice, woulnd't it? And the stuffed blackbird that sits on the bookshelf in my office next to my collection of gothic literature, Edgar Alan Crow, thinks it'd be nice too.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 8:28 AM

Sounds like you want the Hammer film type of gothic, rather than the panda-makeup and fishnet variety that dominates currently? Some of RDNA's BeastHunter stuff might work, Transpond's Whitechapel construction set also at RDNA, various Victorian era historical gowns dotted around (eg AprilYsh's Ashley dress at DAZ). There's an Underworld set of bone furnishing's at DAZ, by Catherine Todd I think, and SAMS3D have a couple of gothic-haunted houses.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 11:59 AM
Site Admin

Gothic is also the name of an extinct Germanic language...

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 11:59 AM

you mean like the medeieval version..I think mainly cathedrals in that line, you could do a search..I've seen models of them..there's also a site that xonocostle just put up in here somewhere..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 12:02 PM · edited Sun, 22 August 2004 at 12:12 PM

I dunno, I think more along the line of cedarwolf, nomuse. I wouldn't consider haunted houses to be Gothic but DAZ does have a nice 'Gothic Construction Kit' (Goth style arches and such) and an add-on texture set to turn "The Study Room" into a nice Gothic touch. Also at DAZ is the "Gothic Candle" (also posted as Dragon Claw Candle). And there is TONS of stuff at RDNA that can be fit into that catagory too.
Now I personally like those sets and like to mix them with the creepy, more Halloween, and Pagan styles (all of which have their own meanings to me and completly unrealated to traditional terms). For that I would say definatly look up Andi3d's "Boners", serveral Celtic crosses in various shapes and sizes laying all over the net, SAMS'3D make the BEST haunted houses (two at the moment) and Lyne has a free raven morph for the DAZ eagle or get her store package for some really nice ravens and crows. There's several good structures like:
Blacklancer's Altar
3DModelz's Gothic Arch
AwfulSoul has several FANtastic sets
Traveler has an Awsome Hall of the Fallen and others (RDNA)
Morforno is the king of Goth age structures
Dedman has a great freebie Dedscape2 (and check out SinSister's characters for some REAL talented originals!)
.....the list goes on and on, like I said in the begining: 'Just pick a site and start going through the stuff'
This is Poser Land, it's all here if you look ;p Actually I guess if you take all; Gothic, Halloween, Pagan, creepy, and the like; and mix them in a pot then you have what a school teacher once called me. I was servicing the school's Xerox when a teacher came out to my van and looked around at the little trinkets and pictures I had in the back and asked me "Oh my God, are you a Death Walker?!". I had to stop and think for a moment, never heard of a 'Death Walker' and I don't wear fishnets, high heels, and the like....so I asked with grin "What's a Death Walker?", she responed "You know, those kids who walk around dressed all in black and wish they were dead!". Hmmm, some folk who know about my compulsive habit to jump from perfectly good airplanes claim I have a 'death wish', but in fact I love living and have no intention of commiting suicide....least not at the moment...yes I wear black a lot, cuz white shows stains and carry coffee with me All Day, but I don't wear makeup, my hair is blonde, however I do like decorating my living area with skulls, bats, coffins, wizards, spider webs, faeries, armor, etc. Besides, Morticia Addams has a real nack for sprucing up a place ;p

Message edited on: 08/22/2004 12:12

pirewyn ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 2:11 PM

www.geocities.com/pirewyn click the castleplay link click the dungeon link on the main menu the d/l for the gnarly sets is sometimes tough to get as i have only limited bandwidth.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 2:29 PM

Ah, lots of comments. Thanks for all the tips on where to find "gothy stuff" everybody. 8-) I have an image in my head of an angel and a demon that I want to create, so it just popped up last night for some reason while I was working on creating my insect girl for an animation project. I always tend to think up a hundred other things that I want to render, before I ever get done with what I'm working on presently. sigh SO, I just thought I'd ask if anyone knew where I should look for stuff like that. It would be interesting to learn just how the term 'Gothic' became the social label for all the kids that dress in black and paint their faces like the Crow. Although I hate stereotypes and labels, I was one of those kids when I was in high school. I even wore a cape to school! It was a nice cape too, made of that black silky soft cloth, but its not silk, with a red liner. And I had a good friend who bought all her clothes from the renaisance festival catalogs, save the occasional pair of blue jeans or white blouse. Everything down to the soft leather gauntlets she sometimes wore. I had lots of creative friends like that. sigh I miss those days.

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 2:59 PM

I think it musta been some little ol' bitty committee out to 'save the children' or sumthin. My self, I wore my hair down to my ass, feathered earring in the left ear, and prefered the browns and white gauze renaisance loose fitting clothes. For that I was labled a "hippy" or "rebel" and my parents called my Arosmith and Led Zepplin music "loud racket and screaming noises"....go figure. Heck, my high school even went as far as calling me and about 8 of my best friends a "gang" just because we hung out together. They even gave us a name, 'The Family' and tried to break us up by sending us to separate schools...heck, we were about as anti-gang as one could get, always cracking jokes about the local gang-bangers and the way they acted....

Byrdie ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:10 PM

"Death Walker" Cool name! So does anybody have legal claim to it or is it a fairly common term and hence fair game for anyone's sci-fi or fantasy projects?

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:21 PM

Like I said, I'd never heard of it before that day. I guess it is what the school teachers in LA call the kids who dress all in black. Therefore I guess you can call any character you make with all black clothing a Death Walker.....as I was wearing the traditional techie black pants, dress shoes, white shirt, and tie I couldn't for the life of me figure were she was coming from :? oh, and make note: I refuse to wear black ties, all my ties are from the Wildlife Federation Collection and depict some form of animal, except for my two jump ties that depict skydivers.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:22 PM

I was probably the only white guy in my school, if not my city, that you could find shopping in the local hair weave supply store. I forgot the name of the place. I decided I wanted long hair, but I had a mohawk, dyed black, and didn't want to wait for it all to grow out. so i started buying extensions and braided them into the mohawk. so on friday my hair was roughly down to my chin and the following monday it was down past my ass. i kept it that way for a while until i got sick of braiding. i liked the look - something like predator meets andrew eldrich - but i hated the maintenance. combat boots and a red-lined cape... hmm. and my dad was in the army. HA!

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:32 PM

Personally I miss my long hair, some of my friends called me the Lion Man because of the way my blonde, long hair flowed in the wind, others called me Conan. I just liked my long hair and would grow it back in a heartbeat if it weren't for the prejiduce attidude in the 'corporate society' that I now find myself working in. Actually I thought it was funny that while in the service (US Army) that I again picked up the nick name of Conan, but that was for other reasons, they deamed me 'c**k strong' after I stripped the head off all the nuts that secure the tank's sprokets and forbid me to ever weild a wrench from that day forth...my assigned tool became the B.F.H. (Big Friggin Hammer) - guess maybe they shoulda called me 'Thor' ;p

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:40 PM

Hrm. Back when I was a kid a "Goth" would be a big hairy guy wearing armor. Now it's a anorexic teen in fishnets. :)

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:41 PM

I keep my head shaved now. primarily because i'm nearly 30 and the hairline isn't quite as... full... as it use to be. and because its less maintenance. i lost the combat boots and cape a long time ago. litterally, lost them. i still wear black but mainly just cause its a comfortable color and i don't have to worry about what matches and what doesn't.

Byrdie ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:50 PM

Jeeze, man, you should have your own comic book. Or at the very least your own action figure. I probably will do something using Death Walker(s) but maybe not Goth -- then again who knows? And if anybody asks, I'll be sure to tell 'em where I got it ;-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.