Thu, Sep 19, 11:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: An idea for a new product - any takers?

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2004 at 12:41 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:33 PM

I'm not sure if this is practical, but I think it ought to be. It would make a nice product if it is, and as it's beyond my abilities, I offer the idea for free. (If you turn the idea into a RMP item and make a lot of money, I wouldn't say no to a free copy!). The product would consist of a .psd file with several layers. The layers would contain patterns of water droplets (sparse to dense) constructed in such a way that applying the layer using the right blending mode to an existing skin texture file would make the skin look wet (or very wet). There are several wet skin textures in the marketplace, but I don't see why the wetness couldn't be handled in a completely generic way, so that any skin could be wetted. A similar thing would be to have a .psd file containing sandy patches, which could be applied to any texture to make it look as if someone had been sitting or lying on the beach.

Foxseelady ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2004 at 3:40 PM

I like the idea it sounds very good. I am no good at textures for skin just yet though lol but it is an interesting idea, I've seen similar for other textures so hey why not! :)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2004 at 4:07 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=695582&Start=1&Artist=SamTherapy&ByArtist=Yes

If you download Ajax's P5 shader pack from Freestuff you'll see he has a shader to add water droplets procedurally. The default tex is for Don but it's easy enough to edit that to use any other texture. One of my gallery images uses the effect on Sweet Melissa by ilona and MadameL.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2004 at 4:52 PM

I've added droplets procedurally in Bryce before Poser ever had shaders. It's OK, but not equal to hand-drawn droplets that would actually run in the right direction. One problem with shaders in this regard is that they don't take account of the fact that the UV mapping varies in scale in different parts of the figure.

PabloS ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2004 at 11:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=264879&Start=55&Sectionid=0&filter_genre_id=0&Form.S

I thought of the same thing several times and even entertained the idea of modifying one of the existing ones to do what you mentioned...but I ain't no wizard at it. 3D Strike did something like this used in conjunction with a bump map (see the link) It would be great to have varying degrees of wetness though from moist droplets to streaming.

Foxseelady ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 12:07 AM

PabloS wow that's an awesome picture you linked to! lol It's also an awesome wet texture. ;)

PabloS ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 1:11 AM · edited Wed, 25 August 2004 at 1:15 AM

Attached Link: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/perrain3dportfolio/Assets/Personnages/IndoorPool02.jpg

Here's another one from his site. I believe it shows the potential of what Phantast suggests. I should mention that he rendered these is C4D ... pre-P5

Message edited on: 08/25/2004 01:15

Phantast ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 7:05 AM

Those pictures both show the disadvantage of using a procedural approach - the water droplets change size on different parts of the body in rather strange ways. Especially apparent in the first, which is spoilt a bit by the strange luminous bikini straps. Has anyone ever tried doing sand patches?

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 9:22 AM

file_124541.jpg

Here's a wet-look I did quickly using particles. The hair is dynamic hair. Could be tweeked even better for close-ups or whatever, but I definitely think particles are the way to go for such a thing. They're quite powerful. Someone skilled at using them can make them travel down the course of a mesh's shape, leaving behind a wetness "trail" like real water droplets do. I don't know if Bryce has a particle system or not, but Poser has that Metaforms plugin I think. However, I don't think the Poser particle plugin would be sufficient to achieve the rivulets of water from droplets running down the skin.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Zarabanda ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 2:54 AM

maxxx, that is an incredible render. that was done in poser 5?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.