Mon, Sep 9, 6:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Unparenting figures (bug workaround)

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2004 at 9:09 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 8:19 PM

When you parent a figure to something else (using the Set Figure parent command), it isn't possible to unparent it again, the way you do with props. Here is a simple workaround: - Load a non-parented prop into your scene (a primitive is perfect for the purpose) - Parent the figure to that prop (either using the Set Figure parent command or the hierarchy editor) - Delete the prop. And your figure is now unparented. You'll lose the posing information, however. The figure will not lose its pose, but its location will change. I might be able to create a Python script to do this trick and put the figure back where it came from. Hope this is useful to some of you.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2004 at 10:31 PM

Question: Is there any particular advantage to using the Set Figure Parent command, rather than simply using the Change Parent command with the figure's Body?

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2004 at 10:53 PM

Now that is strange. I did some testing, and using the Set Figure parent command to parent a figure apparently works the same as Change Parent from the menu used on the Body, and dragging either the figure or the body in Hierarchy Editor to a parent also works. While you can drag a complete figure to another parent, you can't drag it to Universe. But if you drag the Body, you CAN drag it back to Universe, and so unparent the figure! Same goes for Change Parent on the Object menu, but Set Figure Parent does not work. Thanks for the idea!

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2004 at 12:41 AM

Nice :) I was using a pose file to do this, with the same location-shifting problem as above. Thanks svdl.

Tiny ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2004 at 2:43 PM

I unparent by chosing 'Change parent'. Don't select anything and click 'ok'. Then usually it becomes unparented.

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2004 at 5:00 PM

When you use the Set Figure Parent command, it parents the figures BODY actor. You can unparent the figure by selecting its Body, then from the Object menu select Change Parent and select the UNIVERSE.

Or you can select any part of the figure then apply this pz2 file:

{
version
{
number 3.0
}

actor BODY
{
parent UNIVERSE
}

figure
{
}
}

The position of the figure after unparenting will just be any translations and rotations of its BODY and hip, any translations and rotations that were applied to the parent object will be lost.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2004 at 6:00 PM

Yes, that's where a Python script might come in useful, reading in the absolute position and orientation of the figure parent, and apply those to the BODY after unparenting. Should be possible with quaternions.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.