Mon, Sep 16, 10:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: Free full Amapi 6 with 3D World #57!

x2000 ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 8:20 AM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 1:33 AM

Yep, that's right, the full A6 comes free with the mag! It comes out September 17 (I think?) in the UK, and about a month or so later here in the US at Barnes and Noble, Borders, or wherever else you can find 3DW. It's a great modeler, and it works well creating stuff for Poser. With the exception of the command chair, every freebie I have up was made with A6. Btw, while I understand that A7 doesn't do Poser morphs, and 1-5 didn't either, v6 is the one version that DOES...;)

Orio ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 8:58 AM

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Is there any tutorial out there on making Poser morphs with Amapi 6?

x2000 ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 9:04 AM

Search for "Poser morphs" in the Amapi forum, I'm know there's some info there. It's pretty simple, just a matter of having the right import/export settings. And for aspiring character creators, I have a five-part tut on creating a posable Elmo figure in A6 posted in the Amapi forum at Rendervisions. It covers modeling, bonig, joint parameters, etc.

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 10:22 AM

this is getting expensive..first I'm waiting on Freak lo-res, now my third version of Amapi (started with free 4.15..;), well, it's only money..;) Thanks for the heads' up

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

x2000 ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 11:54 AM

Just imagine how I feel, I bought it new, and it cost me a HELL of a lot more than the price of a mag;) Same goes for Carrara 1.1, which was free a while back. And DAZ has Bryce 5 for a lot less than I paid for it when it came out... sigh Sometimes I think it's just not worth buying new software. Luckily, the copy of Cinema 4D 6 that I got free from 3D World last year makes up for all of that.:D

PAGZone ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 1:02 PM

Yeah, you gotta love free software on these mags, except when you paid full price for them! Doh!.. But hey Stitcher 3.1 is on the August mag and it is great. I almost bought it a year or so ago, but bought VR worx instead as it was easier and half the price. Glad I waited. The cool thing about the Free stitcher is that it is not limited at all. The C4D a few months ago is limited to I think 640 X 480 renders (?). But you can pay $99 and unlock that. Also Stitcher 3.1 allows you to make HDRI panos and full cubic too. Is Amapi 6 any more stable then 5? I have not had good luck with any version of Amapi, including 7.1 that I just downloaded the demo for. I can get them to crash with little effort. I am on a Mac DP G5 with 1GB RAM. I tried 5.15 on my PC too and it was still very glitchy. Regards, Paul

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 1:07 PM

Amapi 6 will also be on the next (UK) issue of Computer Arts - due 1st October

x2000 ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 2:35 PM

"Is Amapi 6 any more stable then 5?" Eh, I'm not sure. I got v5 free with Carrara 1.1 and immediately upgraded to v6, so I never used v5 much (though I can tell you it's a damned piece better than A4, which is really buggy). A6 is a bit shaky, but save often and you'll be okay. The power and flexibility is worth any stability issues.:) "The C4D a few months ago is limited to I think 640 X 480 renders (?). But you can pay $99 and unlock that." Unfortunately, I wasn't able to afford the upgrade to CE+ when it was available. But even with the render size restriction, I love C4D. It's now locked in a vicious battle with Amapi 6 for the title of my favorite modeler. If the opportunity to get C4D 6 ever comes up again, I urge everyone to snatch it up! Great modeling, great rendering, bones, particles, etc. One hell of a deal. Now that C4D 9 is coming out, I'm hoping maybe we'll see C4D 7 on a coverdisc in the future... ;)

x2000 ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 2:39 PM

Btw, I see that the current issue, #56, has a free copy of Artlantis 4, which is some sort of renderer. I don't much about it, but it might be worth checking out, especially since Amapi 6 features the Artlantis format in the export options.

SWAMP ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 3:48 PM

I don't use Amapi anymore,but I can say that Amapi6 while still a little buggy,is ALOT more stable than both 4&5. I even found it more stable than the Amapi7 demo I tried,(please note that was the original demo..no updates,or patches). Plus Amapi6 was the first version to import/export obj files....a big plus for Poser use. For the price of the magazine,you just can't go wrong. SWAMP

gps ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 10:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.staigerland.com/amapi/poser/index.html

Step-by-step info on how to set Amapi 6 import/export options for morph-making. As x2000 said, it's pretty easy actually.

BTW I've been using Amapi for years - all my freestuff's made with it. Combine it with UVMapperPro (A6 can import/export .obj files, but looses the UV mapping) and you've got Poser content creation nailed :)

• Graham

Laver2k ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2004 at 3:50 PM

Hi, I was wondering which magazines are available in the UK that are useful for poser/photoshop stuff. I recently got Computer Arts which I thought was great and I wanted some back issues but their website isnt very good for that. They just sell electronic version, kind of a cheap way to re-sell mags no1 wants anymore IMO lol. Anyone know of magazines similar to 'Computer Arts'?

x2000 ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2004 at 4:38 PM

Attached Link: http://www.digitmag.co.uk/

Besides Computer Arts and 3D World, the only other mag of this type I know of is Digit.

Laver2k ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2004 at 4:48 PM

Thanks, Digit is alot better for back issues too =).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.