Sun, Sep 15, 11:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: larger thumbnails/images (upload) ?

zentrillix ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 2:47 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 8:21 AM

a question to everyone here :
I know according to rules and regulations of renderosity all images/thumbnails uploaded in my gallery are not allowed to be larger than 512 kB (=image) and 15kB (= thumbnail) in size. I usually render my fractal images in JPEG/JPG-format. Unfortunately the images/tn uploaded tend to get very small (reduced size)!

So question is: HOW can I upload my images/thumbnails in a larger sizes and STILL comply with renderosity requirements of 512kB/15kB file size upload?

ANYBODY?

thanks, fractallica

Encrypted ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 3:04 PM

Render as bitmap, png, tiff or photoshop and open this in a graphics program and "Save As" a jpg format reducing the quality setting to achieve a balance between the size you want and the final appearance of the jpg. I usually use a program called SuperJPG and save a 1024x768 image at 90% quality to an image size of around 300k. I save 200x200 thumbnails at about 80% usually. The amount of detail in the image will effect the final sizes and jpg compression distortion.

rocserum ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 4:39 PM

I do use PSP 8. when finised my image I go to "image - chance format" After chancing the pixels or Centimeters in the right format I will export the result. In "file - export image - jpeg optimalisation" you'le find all the kinds of compression you need. RS

zentrillix ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 4:48 AM

Thanks , Your comments were very helpful to me !

MrPsiquedelico ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 9:29 PM

I use photoshop - and save for web - You have a lot of control over the final image - I usually make my images with around 500-1000 pixels / 1000 wide 3000 high, then scale down to 199 pixels for the renderosity submission meaning it still looks alright at 512k

Encrypted ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2004 at 12:03 PM

There is excellent information located at http://www.fractalus.com/info/png-jpeg.htm as well as anti-aliasing info at http://www.fractalus.com/info/antialias.htm The most important information to me is the item about color subsampling during JPEG compression. I have had trouble saving images in the past that had highly saturated red as well as sharp details. Turning off color subsampling improves this condition. The image size is larger, but with color subsampling off and JPEG compression quality set lower I still get a better image for posting online. Irfanview allow you to turn color subsampling off when saving to JPEG format. During Save As . . . be sure to checkmark "Show Options Dialog" to access this feature. http://www.irfanview.com/

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.