Fri, Sep 27, 2:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 27 12:47 am)

Subject: What am I doing wrong? (aka newbie hell)

FizzBangBoom ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 12:24 PM ยท edited Fri, 27 September 2024 at 2:34 AM

I just downloaded and installed the DAZ|Studio... trying to get some free stuff like HER, the Victoria 2 redistidutable cr2 and so on. I cant pull any of it up in DAZ. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I was reccomded to give it a try, but so far haven't been able to do much of anything other than the egytian set that comes with it. ???????????????? thanks!

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 2:22 PM

The V2 redistribuatble CR 2 isn't a figure, so that won't work at all. If you download the Egyptian content from your DAZ account page that will give you reduced resolution versions of Victoria and Michael. For the rest, pick one or more folders to install to (DAZDAZ StudioContent is the obvious one) and make sure you put the Runtime folder from your downloads, such as HER, in that with all its sub-folders intact. In DAZ|Studio go to edit>Preferences, pick the Directories tab, pick Poser directories from the drop-down list at the top, click Add and select the folder you chose - the one with the Runtime folder in it. Now when you OK out of those dialogues and go to the Content palette you should see your chosen folder in the top section, and when you click it you will see library categories (Figures, Poses etc.), within which you will find a collection of folders containing the stuff you installed - double-click a thumbnail in the bottom half of the Content palette to load the item (Figure, Hair and Props are actual things you can load - the other folders are settings that apply to those things).

FizzBangBoom ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 7:19 PM

Ok, well thank you rirst of all for the explination. Dont I feel like a dork?! heh... Ok, I uninstalled DAZ, reinstalled it and the Egytian content and then HER... HER showed up this time but I still cant get anything else to import or work. sigh maybe I'm going about it all wrong. That or DAZ hates me, which is entirely possible as I have the artistic ability of a rabit hamster with a crack habit. So... how do you create a model then? I mean, if all that there is to work with is the low res Egyptian Vic & Mike models... wow... how do people make all those other characters and creatures and such. This is a lot more complicated than I thought it was gonna be! LOL! I'm even more impressed with ya'll now!

casey_42 ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 11:49 PM

DAZ|Studio is not intended to make models, there are a lot of free models and props available as well as a plethoria of pay ones, if you want to make models you will need to get a 3d modeling program (like wings3d) but that is a whole 'nother line.

FizzBangBoom ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 12:00 AM

that's the second time I've had someone mention wings3d. heh
I'm beging to think I'm getting in over my head.
I've ben looking through the other threads for free models and it seems that my mind is going (it happens when ya get old), have found HER, but having problems with it. Other than that I cant seem to find much.
Seems that Vic2 or Vic3 and M2 & M3 are just about necessities I guess.
Would Poser be a better way for me to go to try and make custom faces/bodies? Or is that again where wings3d comes into play?
Oh, and thanks!

casey_42 ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 9:17 AM ยท edited Fri, 10 September 2004 at 9:21 AM

You can apply morphs in D|S, and so customize the faces and bodies, as to free models, take a look at Sixus and look through the freebies on here, also in another thread here you will find a link for a free one from DAZ called Sara. http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=9802#9802 that is the link, she is a very good figure to play with.

Message edited on: 09/10/2004 09:21

casey_42 ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 9:55 AM

I meant to include a link to Xantors free robot, a lot of fun to play with too. http://www.fallencity.net/treasures/guest4.php

FizzBangBoom ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 10:03 AM

I just downloaded and installed Sara, but I'll be damned if it's showing up! For some reason... well, the folders there but DAZ doesnt seem to be recognizing it. I really dont know what I'm doing so that's probably got a lot to do with it. sigh thank you tho.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 10:09 AM

Did you install Sara into the same folder as HER, so that you have a folder in (eg) ContentRuntimelibrariescharacter with HER, and another folder with Sara? If both are properly placed in the same Runtime structure and D|S is seeing one it should see the other. Can you give us a screen-shot or list of the folders you have in the folder you've pointed D|S to as a Poser content folder?

FizzBangBoom ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 5:32 PM

Well, as it turns out I'm about to get Poser5 as a gift! So I think that I'm going to go with that. I found DAZ to be less than user friendly, especially to a newbie like me. I played with the Poser Pro demo today and had made up my mind that P5 was the way to go for me, and then found out thata friend had gotten it for his wife who's a grafic artists but she'd gone out and bought it herself. So.. That's my belated b-day present! 8)~ Thank you all for the attempt at trying to help my clueless self out. I really appreciate it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.