Wed, Sep 25, 9:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 25 9:18 am)

Subject: improving those tiny dial labels

drhess ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2004 at 10:02 PM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 9:17 AM

I'm about to go blind reading the labels on all the dials. Is there a way to change the color or size?

Triarius ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2004 at 11:58 PM

No. All the CL programers are under 30, or have enormous monitors. they can see the dials just fine There are some utilities on the Wintel side, but I don't think they help much for size or color. Grumble

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 2:36 AM

AFAIK, they are hardcoded inside Poserand not really accessible to change. Many have complained but I haven't seen a solution so far. If you're on Windows, you can use the Microsoft Magnifier accessory. It's a bit of a hassle to use alll the time but if you're really having trouble reading the dials, it works. I'm sure there are probably freeware/shareware magnifier utilities out there that may be nicer as well and probably Mac equivalents.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Irish ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 7:55 AM

If you're talking about Poser 4, you can use the paint can and change the colour to a lighter one and that makes the dials a little easier to read. :)

Triarius ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 8:41 AM

There's a screen magnifier on the Mac (where Microsoft got the idea), too, intended as a aid to those with impaired vision. Having to do this is a PITA/K, especially when one's eyes are perfectly normal for a person of one's age. But this has been a problem in Poser since about version 3, IIRC, and the space for the labels was a minor problem in Poser 1. None of the various owners of the software has ever had the consideration for their users to fix it. It is one of the major factors in CL being on my list of "most arrogant software companies." RANT! RANT! Rant! rant! rantrantrant rant

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:11 AM

You can also type PO2 which changes the interface to the Poser 2 style. That has dark dial text on a light textured background but the size if anything is a little smaller. Type PO3 to get back the newer interface. Irish how do you use tha paintcan to change dial colors? The paintcan only seems to be active when it's over the figure window.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Triarius ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:31 AM

lmckenzie: Does that work on a Mac?

Irish ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:54 AM

Re the paint can, just drag it to an empty spot of the work area and change the colour. :)

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 10:27 AM

Well now sure and it works! Must be the little people. I had to bring the mouse cursor to the right side of the screen before it activated the paintcan. That's a new one on me or at least I don't remember seeing it before--thanks. Too bad it only seems to change the tint of everything and doesn't really change the text/background contrast. Another one of those artsy design elements without a lot of practical use.

Svigor ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 11:21 AM

I guess this sort of thing is where Curious Labs got the name...as in, "mmm, that certainly is a curious thing for them to do!" Don't get me wrong, Poser is a wonderful app, but there are so very many little, tiny things that they need to fix. The dials are right up there on the list. Related is the bit where one can't customize whether param windows show dial groups as expanded or contracted (one can't customize anything in Poser, for that matter). The whole UI is designed with looking pretty as a higher priority than functionality - everything is low contrast grey. Just look at the hierarchy window - wouldn't it benefit with a bit of COLOR? Say, one color for eye icons set to visible, another for invisible? One color for locked actors, another for unlocked ones? Better yet a new icon to show lock status (with its own colors), so the part name can be colorized to show selection status. How about a second level of cascading in the body parts menu, so we get leg >buttock >thigh >shin >foot >toe instead of one giant menu that has to be scrolled because all the fingers and everything else is on it? Better yet, how about we get to set up the bloody hierarchy for the body parts drop-down ourselves, since it's just a silly little selection menu UI? I could practically write a book about this, and I've only been playing with Poser for under two weeks! This is kindegarten stuff. No algorithms, no math, nothing, just a bit of common sense and testing. It's not like I'm asking for real undo here. It gets me to wondering "WTF?" because they're such little, tiny, insignificant things for CL, but such chronic, nagging, annoying things for us. Hopefully the new management will fix all these problems that are so easily fixed for P6. Btw, does anyone know where to find the skinny on P6 - how far along, new features, etc?

drhess ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 11:28 AM

The paint can trick helps. I wondered what that was for. Only on day 4 or 5 now...I think.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.