Sun, Oct 6, 12:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: My 9-year-old's first boolean -- and she did it on her own!

waldomac ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 3:19 PM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 4:13 AM

file_133913.jpg

Hi, All. I couldn't resist this. While I was at work today, my 9-year-old, after watching me using Bryce at home a couple of weeks ago, decided she wanted to create a coffee mug. For what reason I don't know. But, she, using three objects, created this coffee mug, and I was stunned when I got home that she'd accomplished this with such ease. I'm sorry, but I just had to share this. I have never even *tried* to teach her Bryce, and she's already gotten boolen operations figured out. (I suppose now I'll have to teach her, won't I?) Thanks for looking at this and rejoicing with me over another Bryce newby on her way to the big-time fun. :)

pumecobann ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 3:24 PM

Great stuff, so when can we expect to see the "waldomacJR" name appear in the forums ?

The wait can be horrific, but the outcome can be worse - pumeco 2006

pogmahone ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 3:32 PM

That really is amazing! When you think how much trouble the rest of us have with booleans, and a nine-year-old does it by herself, with ease. ROTFL

Slakker ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 3:33 PM

Well...in our defense, we try to do things ridiculous...like the Crystal Palace. Still, for her first shot, it's MUCH better than a sphere over water :D

pauljs75 ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 3:58 PM

And it isn't the one from the Bryce presets either? Not bad for a first try. Maybe you should leave some Bryce books out where she can grab 'em. (Who knows, maybe she'll learn something. -Not that watching you render away countless hours doesn't count.) And 9 year olds aren't really all that dumb either. My first experiences at self-instruction were at that age programming AtariBasic on a 130XE.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

waldomac ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 4:15 PM

file_133914.jpg

pauljs75: That was my first thought, too, which is ironic. She showed me how she did it, though, and it is very similar to the one in the presets, proportionally, in the render, but not as neat as the preset. Attached is the cage view. It is possible she may have borrowed from the preset to see how it was done; that I don't know. I'll have to ask her. But, from my standpoint, I guess that's OK, because she is learning from example and not by cheating.

RodsArt ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 5:14 PM

As with my generation teaching mom & pop how to program the VCR, My son(24 now)is a music studio guru, Your daughter has a grasp on what only a few years (10)ago we were amazed with. Their generation is primed by default for some really cool stuff. Great Start

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 5:56 PM
Forum Moderator

HEY! Slakker! Who's this 'WE'....? LOL Congrats to Junior Waldomac! Looking forward to seeing more examples from the little Lady! Kudos! BTW I can't program my mobile phone, my vcr or my car stereo. I let the kids do it for me.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 6:01 PM

hmm..teach her volumetrics, complex materials, and fancy lighting, and she can start renders that will finish when she's my age..;) congrats..I have the grandchildren barely doing Doga..but they're short-attention-span theatre..;) yeh, my daughter does my cell phone, she has a black belt in it..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

MoonGoat ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 6:55 PM

OK that is just plain AMAZING. I started Bryce when I was 9 and it took me a year to get booleans figured out! Your daughter deserves some kind of cookie! But then you can start her on terrains and texture editor and metaballs ...

Quest ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 7:13 PM

I think thats just wonderful, young artist in the making. We gotta keep an interested eye on this one. Our congratulations to the little lady.

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 7:50 PM

That's a great first model! Your daughter must be a whiz-kid,lol. I had a heck of a time at first in wrapping my head around boolean modeling. Way to go young Miss!

vasquez ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 2:31 AM

oh gosh! great!! new Brycers grow. Does your son is and X-kid? I think I've never been able to do this at 9! Excellent!!!!

LunarTick ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 2:34 AM

ok ok so she can do something in boolean, good for her. She sure knows how to put me to shame with my spheres floating above water or over land ;) No just joking. It's great to see young ones able to get the grasp of something like bryce without even being shown what to do. Could you ask her for the tutorial for it now so i can learn that much :)

waldomac ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 8:07 AM

Now she's got this ambition to do a golf ball. If she can do it, then it's time for advanced testing. LOL. Her problems at this point are the same as my problems when I first started. For example, I showed her control>left click last night on objects to pick which one she wanted. Discovering that improved my life considerably about four years ago. She said the three objects in the mug were hard to get at and, particularly with the negative objects, she sometimes had a tough time telling which was highlighted. This morning, she discovered tree lab, so now she's a bit distracted from the golf ball, but I'm hoping. I'm just happy to see my children interested in learning the program. It's only been about six years since we got our first computer. I was a complete know-nothing myself until then.

bandolin ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 8:59 AM

Its funny, back when I was her age ash trays and coffee mugs were the first thing you ever made in pottery class for your parents. It seems kids are still making the same stuff but with computers. Interesting. Excellent work. Hey, Drac, you paying attention. This is much more sophisticated than your cube! LOL

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.