Wed, Sep 25, 7:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Corel aquires Jasc Software

Debbie M. ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 12:41 PM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 7:32 AM

Just received an email regarding this. Deb Press release: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel2/Section/Press/Release&sid=1047022959204&cid=1047023901915

Debbie M.

bushi ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 1:01 PM

Hmmm ... interesting. So I wonder which will get the axe, PaintShop Pro or Photo-paint?

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 1:11 PM

I hope not PaintShopPro. I'm hoping they retain at least some of the Jasc Software team...they seem like a good group overall.

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 1:45 PM

I'm surprised to hear this. If Corel hadn't been rescued months back, they'd be out of business, and I'm still forecasting for that to happen.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 1:47 PM

For, me, this is sad indeed. After the Bryce fiasco, I do not trust them anymore. I was just about to upgrade to the new version. I may wait now.

AlteredKitty ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 2:00 PM

Another 'not a happy camper' here. I've never had much time for Corel - they've 'rescued' several of my fave products over the years and either dropped, ignored or bastardised them beyond recognition. Any dealings I've had with them on a non-to-one basis haven't been over-helful either and in general they are on my 'won't buy from' list. Feelin' gloomy :-(

My Renderosity Store

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 2:07 PM

I forgot about Bryce. I like WordPerfect until they began trying to compete with Microsoft Word and pretty much ruined my favorite word processing program. Sigh. Maybe Daz will buy PSP from Corel...and it will become a P.C. item. Sigh.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 2:50 PM

They've done pretty well by Painter, I think.

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 2:51 PM
Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 3:00 PM

I use Bryce and after the lame customer support, no upgrades, no fixes, I can see right now the if they did acquire PSP then it's basically in the trash can, and dead....sad indeed...:(

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 3:09 PM

This sux!!!!

rowan_crisp ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 3:16 PM

Looks like I made the switch to Photoshop just in time. :| This is upsetting to me; I tended to view PSP as a decent and more affordable alternative to PS.... something to let people do professional-standard work without paying horrible prices. Now... I don't know. Being bought by Corel seems to be the kiss of death. RC

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 4:03 PM

this is without doubt the worst news I've heard in quite a long time in regards to software. Corel is one of the worst companies going...continually in major financial trouble. Bryce is just one of the software killed by this company (well, until DAZ saved it...hopefully)... Their customer service for bryce was zero. Now what will happen..they have their product, Photopaint, PAinter , and now PSP....you would think one of them or even two will be biting the bullet pretty soon. how many time have you seen a Corel rep answer a question on any email list, community such as this, or even their own usenet newgroups...half the time there it was other users that fixed the problems... I'm feeling real bad about this...Jasc and PSP have been around before the WWW...when there were BBS services, etc...1200 baud modems :)

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 5:00 PM

"Jasc customers can be assured that Corel will put the power of its significant R&D resources behind the Paint Shop family." **Exactly...as they did with Bryce? (of course, Corel knows 2D a lot better than they know 3D, it seems, so...) ---------- "Are there plans to integrate Jasc functionality into any of Corel's existing product lines? "We will, over time, evaluate how the rich product portfolios can be integrated to meet the evolving needs of our growing customer base. We anticipate that there will be potential, over the long term, to offer broader, integrated suites." **Anyone else see this as "not yet...but eventually/maybe PSP will be assimilated into Corel Paint"...? ---------- Yes, Corel has done well with "Painter", but imho, I think any company would do well with Painter, its a great program! PSP owners hang on, I do hope Corel treats you as well as they have Painter, and not repeat what they did with Bryce. (a nice upgrade followed by....years of nothing...) My hopes for success are with Corel and PSP owners.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

cwshorty ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 6:02 PM

PSP is pretty much a mainstay for me and has been for many years, and I really don't get a good feeling about this at all...;(

BluesPadawan ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 6:06 PM

I agree with everything already said above. In addition, the upgrade price for version 9 for previous owners of PSP has already been increased from what it was just a few weeks ago.

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 6:54 PM

OOO so glad I bought PSP 8 before this stupid sad move!!

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

drhess ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 7:19 PM

Seems a bit scary, but perhaps the power of plugins and scripts is where the action is and these programs end up just being conduits for that. Dunno. PSP people were personable. Hope they don't get the axe.

Richard T ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 7:49 PM

Look on the bright side of things, at least they did not aquire Poser!

Ardiva ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 12:17 AM

Bite your tongue, Richard! :)

elizabyte ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 2:44 AM

Hmm. DAZ recently acquired Bryce from Corel, and now Corel has acquired JASC. Maybe DAZ should have bought JASC first... ;-) On a serious note, I can't say I'm terribly impressed with Corel. Yes, they have done a fine job with Painter, but they've allowed the Kai's Power Tools filters (wonderful tools!) to more or less languish, and look what they did to poor Bryce! Also, WordPerfect used to be my favorite work processor, I just loved it. Now it's a bad knockoff of Microsoft Word (sort of like "New Coke", it's neither as good as the original nor the same as the competition). I hope Corel actually treats PSP with some dignity and respect. It's a fine program. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

shamanka ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 5:21 AM
Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 6:51 AM · edited Fri, 15 October 2004 at 6:52 AM

I'm not sure how long PSP has been around but I've had a copy of it since I started using a pc 10 yrs ago, I'll never have another copy of it as long as Corel own it.

Even Adobe would be a better place for it than bloody Corel, maybe if we get up a big enough petition Daz will buy it off them before they bury it like they tried to do with Bryce.

PSP & all it's users deserve better than Corel.

Message edited on: 10/15/2004 06:52

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

bonestructure ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 10:44 AM

"Jasc customers can be assured that Corel will put the power of its significant R&D resources behind the Paint Shop family" Why? PSP is already nearly a perfect program, second only to Photoshop. I suspect they'll blend PSP and Painter, making it bloated and kludgy and user unfriendly. I'll stick with the version I have.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

bonestructure ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 10:45 AM

as well, if Corel owning it, we might as well forget the days of being able to get PSP for under 100 bucks.

Ardiva ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 11:36 AM

I'm still not understanding just WHY Jasc sold out??

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 12:13 PM

This might be good news -- for Adobe.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

bonestructure ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 12:31 PM

I suspect most people use both Photoshop and PSP. I know I do. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, and given that the same plugins can be used for both, they work together quite well. I'd have been much happier if Adobe had acquired JASC and made it a companion program. Corel will screw it up for sure, and inflate the price. Corel needs to concentrate on making the programs they already own work right, not acquiring new ones to screw up.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 12:31 PM

Bonestructure...the price has already risen over 100.00 >:(.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 12:35 PM

Oh great...no doubt they will raise prices on everything that has to do with PSP too >:(

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 12:43 PM

Attached Link: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cpress/20041014/ca_pr_on_tc/corel_jasc_software_2

Did you guys know that Corel was bought by someone else? {wonders where I have been...}

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 3:33 PM

Same place I've been...I hadn't seen that either. I don't know if it is a result of trying to clear house or not, but I got a message from Jasc yesterday offering a discount on some of their products (not PSP but the album, Virtual Painter, Studio). Too bad I'd already bought the upgrade to Virtual Painter. Oh well.

Ardiva ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 4:11 PM

Hmmm...looks like Jasc will be going out of business, nes pas?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.