Fri, Sep 20, 12:57 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: WhyPoser5FireFlyRenderSOSlow???

tebop ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 7:47 PM ยท edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 2:54 AM

Hello all, i'm new to poser 5. just trying thingss out. and i decided to render a simple judy with a hair from the included hairs. i had FireFly Renderer selected..hit Render and well, you guessed right, it's sooo slow, moves nothing at all. Why is this? When i switched to Poser 4 rendering it was fast( thank god they included that Option in Poser 5). i have a Mac g5 with 512 MB Ram, would adding more memory speed up my poser 5 activities???

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 8:08 PM

Yeah, that would help a lot, with a G5 you have the speed, just not enough memory. Poser ignores graphics cards so it dumps ALL the picture rendering work squarely in the proccessor's lap, expecting it to do all of that work along with all its own work

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

softriver ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 9:42 PM

Check your rendering options, as well. With Firefly, my best trick is to add options slowly (displacement, raytracing, etc. ) only as I need them. My preview renders with 40,000 vert hair styles run about 2 - 5 minutes, while my final renders have been running me 15 - 45 minutes (at 2000x2000, 150 dpi). Firefly will be somewhat slower than P4's renderer... just the nature of the beast. When I render in softimage, by contrast, I only turn on Mental Ray when I'm ready to go production, and have time to wait. On my wishlist for P6 is a network renderer. For the record, my P5 machine specs are: 2.8 GHz Pentium 512 Mb RAM Windows 2K Pro The rest doesn't matter for Poser, but in case you're curious, I use a 256 Mb NVidia DX 9 card.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 4:42 AM

Firefly can be slow and it does depend on what options you have ticked and if you're ray tracing with a lot of bounces it's even slower. As softriver says, only tick what you need to do the image that you want. It's far better at the finished article than the P4 render engine by the way. I don't know about Mac speeds but I run my P5 on a 1.8GHz P4 processpr with 512 RAM and a 128 Nvidia graphics card. Happy days and long life friend!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

davidgibson ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 7:32 AM

Because it's slow!! You do need to add more RAM, as much as you can afford. All 3D software loves as much RAM as it can get. Check this site, stefan has some good tips on speeding up your rendering speed. http://www.keindesign.de/stefan/poser/renderer.html

dan whiteside ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 8:03 AM

Poser 5 on the Mac is just plain slow, (about 25% slower then the PC version). It ought to be faster then the PC becuase the renderer is originally from the Mac only Tempest system from Pixels3D(which is quite fast) - my guess is that CL ported Tempest to the PC and then ported the PC port back to the Mac (ick!). More RAM can certainly speed up the render if you're doing high polygon count scenes but 512MB is more then adequate for what Tbob is trying to do. Best; Dan

GladysClump ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 2:05 PM

The hair that came with poser has very high polygon count with it's default settings. If you go in the hair room, and select a section of hair, it often has 1000+ hairs, set at 20-40 verts per hair. Try decreasing these values, to maybe 500 hairs, and only 10 or 15 verts. You really have to experiment with what looks good, and what your machine can handle.

softriver ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 2:25 PM

Poser 5 on the Mac is just plain slow, (about 25% slower then the PC version). That is insane! So, you're saying that if I'm running a G5 (the fastest chip available mass market) with 1 gig of RAM on MAC OSX (A unix-based O/S) I'll get less speed than if I were running a Pentium 3.0 with 1 gig on a bloat-heavy Windows box?! Someone from CL PLEASE get on the ball for Mac users if this is true... They've paid a lot more for much better equipment, and shouldn't have to deal with a speed hit of that nature.

webraiders ( ) posted Sun, 17 October 2004 at 3:09 PM

Does anyone know how to get it to use more than 50% of the CPU time? I have been running dual 1g P3s with Window XP Pro. and see that it is only using 50% of the CPU. I have tried to change the priority to high for the poser.exe process. I have also made sure that the affinity is set for both CPUs, But that does not speed things up. When I do have the affinity set to 1 CPU that CPU gets pegged to 100%. In checking the memory it's only using around 80mg and I have 2gig. Anyone have any ideas?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.