Wed, Sep 18, 9:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: How much is enough! A Poll.

Hawke ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 9:30 AM

C Yes My processor (P4 2.2GHz) tops out before my RAM when rendering so more would not help in that regard. Doesn't mean I don't want more though :P And I suspect the more I have the more figures I will be able to load into a scene without problems.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 11:10 AM

D Yes

Thorgrim ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 11:13 AM

C - NO

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 11:24 AM

A No I wanted to put: A hell no

RossoMan ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 11:41 AM

C Yes

Roy G ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 2:05 PM

A No I have problems with high-rez Textures and millennium figures. But this PC is twice as fast as an older one that has twice the memory. So given the option, I would take processor speed.

Jackson ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 2:19 PM

C P5-NO P4/PP-Yes

icelandknight ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 2:58 PM

C - yes Poser5 - Just got the Mover/Vue bundle... TRYING to learn. Seems comlicated. I have big dreams / plans... but it seems so complicated to get started.

dlfurman ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 3:05 PM

F 1.5GB Yes

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Towal ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 4:26 PM

D Yes

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 4:43 PM

640 MB (not one of your options). No it is not enough, but then I also need a "real" Athlon CPU, rather than a Duron.

FastForward ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 4:57 PM

B P5 : yes 3dsmax6 : no

melanie ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 8:14 PM
  1. F - 384MB (the maximum my computer can have) 2. It works for me!

buckzero ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 11:07 PM

B No Okay for setup but causes virtual memory to adjust when rendering FF and HiRes figures/texture

$0

cjw ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 11:38 PM

Results of the How much memory is enough poll.

Sample Size: 57

Percent Satisfied with Poser Performance (Ascending Order):

256MB or less--- 50% N = 9
1GB -------------62% 21
2 GB ------------67% 6
512MB -----------72% 18
Over 2GB -------100% 3

Comments:

• Several people mentioned that P5 needs more memory to perform satisfactorily than P4/PP.

• Individuals who were satisfied with less than 512MB often mentioned that they did not use hi-res figures like the millennium characters, or at least they kept the number of characters and other items low. This probably contributes to the higher than expected level of satisfaction among owners of machines with lower memory configurations.

• Just 65% of the respondents in all the categories were satisfied with the level of performance they were experiencing. Of course, there are many other factors that contribute to performance such as processor speed, platform, OS, version of Poser being used, and others.

*Some people mentioned their experience using other memory intensive applications like TrueSpace (OK at 512MB) and 3DSMax (not OK at 512MB).

Conclusion:

It is no surprise that Poser, especially P5, seems to work best with plenty of memory. However, the sweet spot for most participants seems to be between 512MB and 1GB. Obviously, if one wishes to run many other applications at the same time, more memory will be necessary. However, it appears that computers possessing memory within this range may be sufficient for most users.

Thank you to all those who participated in this poll.

cjw

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.