Sat, Sep 21, 5:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: 15 frame simulation only works well to frame 11

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2004 at 8:19 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 5:54 PM

I converted the sports croptop from poserworld to a prop seeing as the sports pants worked so well when I did this. Anyway the clothing stops fitting at frame 11 even though I've asked it to go frame 15. I tried decreasing stretch resistance and shear resistance and cloth density but it hasn't helped. I've made the pants invisble. any ideas? Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Rhale ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2004 at 8:22 PM

This happens to some of my simulations,too. I don't know why, yet. Is your figure in an extreme pose? Try deleting the simulation re-clothify the garment and run the sim again.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2004 at 8:27 PM

I'm having a very similar problem with a dyanamic cloth simulation I'm running on an animation. I've also experienced this same problem before. The cloth will drape, and start simulating to a certain point, then just stop as if it finished. Not freeze up or anything, just plain stop calculating. It's extremely frustrating. I've tried everything, including making CERTAIN there are no initial intersections, etc. Still, when it reaches a certain range of frames, it just stops short. I've never had this problem on small test animations shorter than 30 frames, or never when draping cloth for a still image... but it seems persistant in larger animations with lots of keyframes like a BVH, and also happens most often when working with Judy or EJ. In another thread I started about this, other people reported the same thing happening, with little or no solution. Anyway, if you find out why it's doing this, let me know... maybe it will help solve my problem as well. I've tried every option in the cloth room controls, and adjusted everything I can think of, but no-go.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2004 at 8:30 PM

"Is your figure in an extreme pose?" That's what I thought too initially... however, I get this problem seemingly at random, even when the character's motion is not extreme. Strange. Some people in the thread I posted about this a while ago claimed it had just started happening with SR4, and going back down to SR3 solved the problem. Thing is, SR3 has other issues I'm not willing to put up with.

xantor ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2004 at 8:40 PM

They should make an sr5 and fix as many of the mistakes as possible. Maybe it is a memory problem, it might do a few frames ok then run out of memory to do the rest?

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2004 at 8:53 PM · edited Sun, 07 November 2004 at 8:54 PM

"Maybe it is a memory problem, it might do a few frames ok then run out of memory to do the rest?"

I thought it might be a memory issue as well, but now I doubt it, because of this:

I added a dynamic clothing item to the figure, and ran a successful sim to frame 252 (the end). I saved the file and shut down Poser for the evening. The next morning, I boot up and immediately open that file again first thing, only to find the sim I ran previously was no longer simulated any more. Ugh. What happened? So I re-calculate the same cloth AGAIN, and then it just starts dropping out and never completes again. I reboot several times, replaced the cloth item with another cloth item, and same thing keeps happening.

Then I start a NEW poser file, load yet another figure that's even higher res than the previous one, using a more complex dynamic cloth than before, with the same BVH motion for the same number of frames, and the sim works. I'm at a loss. Message edited on: 11/07/2004 20:54

Dale B ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2004 at 9:00 PM

That sounds like something is corrupting either the .dyn file or the temp file generated during the simulation. Is there anything running in the background that 'protects' you from file changes? That temp file can retain old data, and conflict with what the PZ3 is telling Poser to do. On the first issue, have you deleted first the temp file, and if that fails, the dyn file? I've noticed that once something in them is changed or altered, its impossible to fix them, and rewriting over a damaged one just makes it worse.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2004 at 9:15 PM

"That sounds like something is corrupting either the .dyn file or the temp file generated during the simulation. Is there anything running in the background that 'protects' you from file changes?" Hmmm. Not on this machine, which I only use for 3D animation. I've also experienced the deletion of a dyanamic solution on one item in a PZ3, but not on a second item that was in the same file, and calculated seperately. For instance, the dyanmic blouse will "lose" it's simulation when saved and reopened, but the dyanamic skirt on the same figure works just fine. I don't know if this is related to the original problem of simulations just dropping out at a certain point, but the two issues combined are KILLING me here. Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it makes me wanna poke my eyes out and mail them to CL. LOL

Robo2010 ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 12:07 AM

file_139828.jpg

Well.."Sr3...Sr4". Lately, been playing around with the lighting(s) for my Animation Scene. One light, render stops half way, add a few more, render starts to happen but slowly. Go into the Material Room, select "Atmosphere", click on "Volume on", And the render just stops, half way or even or even yet stops before Rendering. I believe as well, their is a lighting issue. Press on Cancel, Poser hangs with a message..."Canceling". I always have to use "Windows Task Manager" to close poser when that happens. Image Example: Rendering hasn't started yet, and I get this hang.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 1:03 AM

Well, there's obviously some bug issues still present with the app. Most of them aren't evident, however, until you get into power-using the features with animation (at least for me). I didn't start noticing problems until I started really animating a lot of elements and attempting complex calcs with the hair and cloth. Rendering was never an issue with me, because I simply don't use Poser to render anymore. I'll export the PZ3 to Max for lighting and rendering... only because I prefer to use distributed render features and extract G-Buffer channels for compositing. I seriously hope version 6 is a rewrite of the old code, and an intense strengthening of the current features in P5 rather than additional crap. The only "extras" I want to see at this point is distributed/network rendering. Other than that, just "clean up the house" so to speak and I'll be a happy camper. :-)

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 1:59 AM

Dale I tried all ot those things but nothing helped it get past frame 12 of 15. I tried resaving it, closing poser and reopening it. I tried fiddling with the dynamic controls, I tried changing the pose to less extreme, but nothing helped. that's so sad, as I could have had some nice dynamic outfits. Love esther

bjergtrold ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 2:23 AM

I have the same problem.
I think the modell size is an important factor. Usually I can make a P5 cloth simulation with NefToonGal, but I can't use dynamic cloth with V3 at all.
But Clothilde, the cloth simulation of Cinema 4D, works very well. I can make several simulations with V3 at the same time.

You know what is right for you. I know what is right for me.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 3:20 AM

I tried parenting the top to her hip then reclothified and it actually worked, so then I picked edit constrained group and constrained the wastline and it stopped at about frame 12 of 15. Love esther PS that clothilde sounds good.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 4:35 AM

I forgot to say, I also don't render in poser, I render in vue, but I haven't got quite that far yet as I'm still playing with the clothing. love esther

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 5:35 AM

estherau; Are you perchance doing multiple clothing items that overlap? If so, you have to do them in an 'inside-out' order (the innermost layer of them all first, then the cloth layer that overlaps that one, then the next, etc), and you have to be -certain- you have added the clothing props into the list of collision items; that last step =will= bring a simulation to a screeching halt with a collision violation. Mesh density can do this as well; either by being too dense, or by being of a different density than another cloth object; you get into the issue that exists with hands and feet. The high polycount of the fingers and toes makes it very easy for a digit to interpenetrate a cloth polygon before collision occurs, and depending on -how- the collision occurs, you either get a collision violation, or the digit is stuck in the cloth and can pull it free of the figure...or teartangle further and bring things to a halt. You might also want to move the animation slider to the frame it halted at, go into the cloth room, and check around the waist to see if there is any interpenetration.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 5:49 AM

Hi Dale, well I made the pants invisible so poser should only see the top shouldn't it? maybe it is seeing the pants but I haven't got colide against them checked anyway so the pants shouldn't affect the simulation anyway should they? Love esther

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 10:11 AM

estherau; I'd have to run some specific tests, but I'm 98% certain that as long as an item is listed in the heirarchy tree, while it may not be 'visible', it is still there as far as collision detection is concerned (the visibility option doesn't make the mesh section go away; it just nullifies the scanline return on it. The actual polygons are still there). I'm assuming that the pants mentioned are conforming; this opens up one potentially hellatious can of worms. I =think= I've seen a couple of instances where there was, for lack of a better term, 'crosstalk' between the character mesh and a conforming cloth peice, and for the same reasons; the part names are identical. If the cloth is going to be touching those pants, then make them visible, turn on collision detection for the parts that the cloth will possibly touch, and turn =off= the detection on the actual character for those same parts. Conforming clothing is a character wrapped around a character, so the only thing that should be a collision surface is the outermost 'character'. Whatever is under it shouldn't be enabled as a collider; that may even be the problem. When collision detection is turned on, then the object being collided against is involved in the simulation,and subject to the same fubars as the cloth is. Two characters interpentrating, like say at a bending joint, -could- trigger a collision error in itself. Not with the cloth, but generating something like a divide by zero error due to two surfaces being defined as 'solid' having penetrated each other. Then there's the fact that many of the conforming items are dynamic cloth death traps. Dynamic cloth is a simply polygon sheet; a lot of the conforming clothes out there are multiple layered, have polygons folding back on themselves, varying types of polygon, etc... =ANYTHING= that breaks the collision rules can, and usually does, either stop the simulation, or lock it into a repeating loop (usually the divide by zero error). I fought with one sim for 2 weeks, gave up, and went on. A couple of months after that, I was bored and loaded it, and found the issue immediately. It was a belt buckle that was attached to the cloth item, but it had a listing as a seperate prop in the heirarchy tree. Once I turned collision on for that, the sim ran correctly.

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 10:15 AM

Maxxx; Your renderbox isn't running XP, is it? The file protection schemes might be doing something you don't want. Have you tried creating a new folder, and saving the PZ3, dyn, and temp files of a successful simulation in a new location? Possibly you have a bad sector developing, and it just happens to be in the area where the sim info is getting written to...

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 12:40 PM

"Your renderbox isn't running XP, is it? The file protection schemes might be doing something you don't want." Hmmm, yeah, it's running on XPpro. Let me try your suggestion of moving them to a new folder and running/saving a new simulation there. I know in at least one case of this happening, the PZ3 and dyn files were saved to the desktop, and not a folder.

dougf ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 2:25 PM

I have had the best luck with setting the steps from 2 to 8-10 on the simulation. This prevents collisions.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 09 November 2004 at 5:49 AM

Hi, I deleted the pants but the top simulation still stopped at frame 9 of the 15 I asked it to do. Love esther

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 09 November 2004 at 6:36 AM

Okay I unchecked the collisions in the simulation settings apart from cloth self-collision and i had 1-15 frames and deleted the last 15 that weren't being used. I tried it again and it worked. Now to try and bring the pants back in. Love esther

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 09 November 2004 at 6:50 AM

I just tried it with the pants and it worked. the pants were a bit droopy so I changed stretch resistance and shear resitance both down to 1.0 - just a guess thing I don't know if that would help, however I now find the thing is stuck on draping perpetually. Love esther ps eeeeeeekkk

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 10 November 2004 at 6:04 AM

not sure why but now it's working. Perhaps because i deleted all the extra frames except for the first 15. but then again I'm changing more than one thing at a time so it's hard to be sure. Dale made me think about colide against body parts instead of thewhole figure. Perhaps that;s what fixed the problem. Well for now I'm happy but I have more questions. Now that my morphed V3 is wearing the clothes can I make her pose from frame 15 to another pose at frame 30 say? love esther

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 10 November 2004 at 10:19 AM

Yes. Save what works first, though.... :P Just change your frame total field back to 30, drag the slider there, and either load or create the new pose. You should have spline interpolation on by default, so Poser will figure the time curves for you. Drag the time slider back below 15, and hit play to see how the body parts move. You may have to tweak things, depending on what the change is. If things look all right, then re-run the cloth sim, and make sure to change the settings to match the animation frame settings.

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 10 November 2004 at 5:59 PM

okay

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 10 November 2004 at 6:55 PM

every time I try it poser crashes. Love esther

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 10 November 2004 at 9:16 PM

Try clearing the cloth sim. If that doesn't work, remove the sim and recreate it after you get the animation back to 30 frames. There is definitely something not happy, here. You are running Poser with SR-4 applied, I hope?

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 10 November 2004 at 10:46 PM

it's poser 5 in a mac. It's probably something silly that I'm doing. Love esther

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.