Sun, Oct 6, 2:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: You're all gonna hate me for this...

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 1:13 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 2:23 PM

file_146642.jpg

but I'm starting to love Terragen. Seriously, the amount of detail this little jewel can dish out is amazing. I've never been much on outdoor scenes, but I plan on using it as much as possible for backdrops and so on :) drac (traitor to the bone)

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 1:20 PM

btw, the render time for the above was 9 minutes something :D

RodsArt ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 2:22 PM

MUHAHAHA.....OOOPs, Guess what?? D/L'd it, been pokin around with it too. After some research in the "T" gallery, I find some of the scenery in capable hands is damn sharp. Oh yeah, Render times are nill.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Orestes ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 2:33 PM

Great to hear this drac! Yes TG is awsome in capable hands and it coasts nothing to try it out! Render times are often a lot better than Bryce scenes, but large images with lots of water and such can still take a while (my longest 32hrs). I have both apps and I prefer TG in realisitc results and the simplicity of scene building, and the atmoshperics IMO blow Bryce away. Welcome to the TG community. :D

Be nice, or I shalt smite thee!
  [ My Gallery ] [ My Freestuff ] [My DAZ Store] [ Homepage: www.orestesgraphics.com ]

Thugster_86 ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 2:40 PM

I'd get maya if i could afford it...

Erlik ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 3:49 PM

Yeah, listen to Orestes. I have a colleague who's TG fan and the stories he tells about rendering times make an experienced Bryce user blanch. Drac, try turning all the settings to the max. ;-) I am still waiting for Terragen Two. :-)

-- erlik

Claymor ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 4:19 PM

<gets tempted to dust off terragen, but then glances at C4, Blender, and True Space on the HD and thinks..."nahhh">

diolma ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 4:24 PM

Drac, It's a wonderful image and I like what you've done. I've played with Terragen a little but it didn't grab me. Where is the vegetation? OK, If you want images set in the High Himalayas or the Austrian Alps, fine, but other than that I find Terragen a little limited. 'Course that's probably just me not knowing how to use it properly. Cheers, Diolma

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 4:43 PM

and see, I went the other way; Terragen was my first 3d package (well, Corel Dream doesn't count..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 5:27 PM

They're working on plants and trees also, you can get a decent grass look. It's really progressed since I first downloaded two yrs ago. And don't forget, those cool terrains can be exported into Bryce as bmps for the terrain editor.......plugins allow alot more realistic landscapes too! It's on my list to register, only $79.00.

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 5:33 PM

file_146644.jpg

Check this out as an example of what terragen can do, (this is posted for educational purposes, the image is copyrighted to the artist. see signature)

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 5:33 PM

file_146648.jpg

Another example of what terragen can do, (this is posted for educational purposes, the image is copyrighted to the artist. see signature)

Sambucus ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 5:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=670708&Start=19&Artist=Sambucus&ByArtist=Yes

You can get an impression of foliage with the surfaces used but for trees you`re going to have to resort to something like picture tubes in post. If using someone elses tubes rankles then you can always make them yourself in Bryce first. I think the trick is not to use too many tubes. I`ve seen some terrible things done to images with them. Feel free to include the linked image among that group but I think it was probably my most successful use of tubes in the few TG pics I`ve attempted. TG is very kind to beginners because you have to actually pay for it to get a version that will allow you to turn on all the goodies and lock up your comp for most of the week. Go for the free version first.

Orestes ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 7:02 PM

Attached Link: http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/tgd/tgd.shtml

Go over to planetside and check out whats planned for T2. Displacments, true volumetric clouds, and object imports for starters. Watch the Mars movie clip :)

Be nice, or I shalt smite thee!
  [ My Gallery ] [ My Freestuff ] [My DAZ Store] [ Homepage: www.orestesgraphics.com ]

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 7:05 PM

I dabbled in terragen..loved it..pretty easy to do..and pretty easy on render times too! I used the free version.. somehow..never got to buying it..

blonderella ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 9:05 PM

erosiaart...Terragen is pretty easy to do????? I must either be slow or stupid, because any image I make takes a lot of work if I want realism or even just a high quality image with surfaces and textures that dont look cheesey L

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 9:11 PM

blonderella.. compare it to bryce...

Ardiva ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 9:35 PM

So does this mean that you're going to be hanging out at the TG Forum now, Drac?

jasonmit ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 9:51 PM

I just did another Terragen image today. Check it out in my gallery. The 3000x2400 version took 3 hours to render.

blonderella ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 10:00 PM

erosiaart...but you cant compare it to Bryce, it would be like comparing driving a car to riding a motorcycle...they dont even remotely do the same things...Terragen is a terrain generator, it doesn't do what Bryce does...and it has so many specific areas you can manipulate...it is anything but easy if you are doing an indepth work and not just a very simplistic terrain...if you think it's simple, go look at Orestes gallery, then come back and tell me if you can still say that lol

blonderella ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 10:03 PM

jasonmit...Tranquit Valley is a lovely render, but I think Early Morning is gorgeous!

jasonmit ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 10:06 PM

Thanks, blonderella!

pogmahone ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 5:57 AM
blonderella ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 8:07 AM

check out some of these guys, their images are magnificent...Buzzzzz, Orestes, Markal, EoinArmstrong, gradient, revenant71, joshus_hund, Rich2, environaut and Dotthy...there are so many more, but these are amongst the best of the best...I love Bryce and Poser (just learning them), but Terragen is so much fun too and a nice change of pace...

bandolin ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 8:33 AM

So what are the strengths and weaknesses of B vs. TG? I'll support any software that's written for the Mac.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

waldomac ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 9:17 AM

file_146651.jpg

I've used Terragen since the first week it was offered as beta software. It's just so cool. Above is an image I created about three years ago, using a DEM from the U.S. Geological Survey of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison (Gunnison, Colo.). Terragen is fun to use. Matt Fairclough just has one of the best sky algorithms around. I can't wait until the next version accommodates arbitrary objects and has some vegitation. My favorite Terragen artist of late is Jordano here at Renderosity. Check him out. He is amazing with Terragen, and his postwork is some of the best I've ever seen.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 11:41 AM

now all we need is a Terragen render of Bryce canyon..;) it's a nice tool, makes good backdrops..you can export terrains created in Terragen to Bryce, btw..but they're a bit thin..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

pogmahone ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 11:58 AM

file_146653.jpg

Here's a Terragen one I did years ago, but still like :^)

pogmahone ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 12:00 PM

file_146654.jpg

The clouds are easier to mess with than in Bryce.....this is supposed to be a castle at dawn. Again, an old one.

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 12:09 PM
Forum Moderator

Heresy! Treason! And stop posting picture postcards of your favourite holiday resorts! AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 11:22 PM

Blasphemy. Leave me alone, you heretics! (Oh yeah, where's the plants? Trees? Ha!)

jasonmit ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2004 at 1:08 AM

Trees? We don't need no stinkin' trees. ;-)

pogmahone ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2004 at 1:23 AM

Attached Link: http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/future.shtml#vegies

I've never bothered trying, but it shouldn't be too difficult to take the background pic into Bryce, set up trees and foliage, adjust the lighting to match, remove the background pic, render, then layer the foliage in in photoshop. Also, I think it's going to have the ability to import objects quite soon - he's a bit behind schedule, but this is what's threatened..... - General object and vegetation rendering via 3D models, 2D cards/billboards (autogenerated if necessary), and particles. - Plant/object population (distribution) tools based loosely on existing surface map system, but with built in texture map support (distribution maps) and control over individual object placement. - Rocks, stones, pebbles and fields of same." Details of planned improvements at the link

TobinLam ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2004 at 6:24 PM · edited Fri, 26 November 2004 at 6:30 PM

Terragen was the first 3d program I downloaded and I love it. I can't wait until TG2 comes out! I would probably be happy with it in its current state. Hey Zhann! Your behind the times again! Registration went up to $99 a couple months ago.

Message edited on: 11/26/2004 18:30

Monsoon ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2004 at 3:17 PM · edited Sat, 27 November 2004 at 3:28 PM

Attached Link: http://monsoon.topcities.com/

One of the best things Terragen is good for with Bryce is harvesting textures.

Once you get the surface making in TG down, just take your camera up in the air and point it straight down (observing the same lighting rules as digital photo textures) and snap away. All of my Earthenwear textures for Bryce and Vue are made with Terragen renders. You can get a lot of my older ones here at this link.

Message edited on: 11/27/2004 15:26

Message edited on: 11/27/2004 15:27

Message edited on: 11/27/2004 15:28

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Sat, 27 November 2004 at 4:13 PM

Thanks for the wonderful textures, Monsoon!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.